VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Golf GTI Autobahn | 1993 VW Corrado SLC
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The German magazine "Auto Zeitung" claims to have actual photos and confirmed info on the car in their issue out today; I will pick it up later and report/scan back here, unless someone else wants to, before then. There are small images available on the website (lifted from the magazine) that suggest styling similar to some of the better renderings we've seen, but predicatably with most of the oddities removed.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will pick it up later if I can, and see if there's useful info, but someone has already scanned in a low-res version over here:

http://fotos.autozeitung.de/462x347...8/03-Auto-Zeitung-18-2012-Golf-Konkurrenz.jpg

I think the large photo is just a photoshop of a VW PR photo for the Golf 6 GTI, though I think the look is probably pretty close to what a mid-trim version of the Golf will look like. The only issue is that I had read the door-mounted exterior mirrors were a sure thing, as they have already appeared on the A3 and the Leon - so I'd guess that's wrong.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll reserve judgement until we get better pictures &/or see one in person. But at first glance it looks pretty good, particularly since a GTI (which is what I'm more interested in) will be even better. There was a render a while ago that traced the GTI red-grill line into the headlights; the chrome grill in the picture does seem to line-up with the led-trim in the headlights. Perhaps a GTI version could actually pull off what that render showed - which'd look amazing.

Interior looks like even base Golf's get a squared off steering wheel (though that could be a distortion in the picture), a huge new center screen (the RNS-315 is really behind its competitors) and in the bottom right picture, is that a red/copper leather seat bolster I'm seeing? Though I like the jacky cloth seats, something besides black leather would be cool.

Good find, OP. Now lets see some better pictures!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Totally fake, it's just a rendering based on this picture of a MKVI:

Okay then. Disregard what I wrote above. Good catch on that, StaringBack - the road/trees/driver are all clearly the same in both pictures. The wait continues.

One thing that did give me slight pause was that earlier "reports" had said that the interior would include a retractable/pop-up nav screen (ala Audi) instead of the in-dash unit pictured. However since we're all working with limited info I looked past that. So in a sense I'm glad this is just a render since it leaves open the possibility of a cleaner nav integration.

VW is really doing a good job keeping the MKVII under wraps....

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Okay then. Disregard what I wrote above. Good catch on that, StaringBack - the road/trees/driver are all clearly the same in both pictures..
As I said...it's a p-shop of a prior PR photo; in fact, the black trim piece on the window inboard of the mirror housing has simply been p-shopped out and replaced with an attempt to make it look as though it's all glass...but I guess someone forgot to "redesign" the mirror housing, or even attach it to anything. Notwithstanding that, my guess is that the front is very close to what's depicted; we'll see. The interior renderings are such a bad, fuzzy mish-mosh of images it's really not worth scanning them in - sorry.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FV-QR

In terms of information, the article offers the following,take it with however may grains of salt you wish. I think some of the info has now appeared consistently in multiple sources (like the GTI) so I think that may be a good bet. Much of which has been heard before: "sharper" design, refined ride and reduced noise levels and roughly 80kg lighter, depending on the model. Several cm longer wheelbase on nearly the same vehicle length translates to more room in back.

The lower-powered engine variants are likely EU only so I won't mention them here; the GTI (due in April) is again said to produce 220hp and "up to" 350nm (which is 258lb-ft) of torque - souseems to confirm that an Audi Valvelift motor is coming, if the numbers are correct. The 2 TDI versions of 2l displacement get power bumps - the 140hp version goes to 150 and the GTD version of 170hp goes to 180. The 150hp version will supposedly power an AWD Golf, due in December. New wagon version due in June. The 4-dr coupe variant that had been rumored is supposedly still on the table. A raft of new systems is said to be on the way, including a "sailing" mode for cruising, ala the new Porsche 991 and 981 and a radar-based auto collision-avoidance system. The lowest-powered versions, 85 and 105hp 1.2l gas engines and the 105hp diesel, will receive torsion beam rear axles / above that it's all multi-link hardware.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its been reported in the German press that VW will release a couple of exterior photos and some basic info, tomorrow...

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,810 Posts
1 - 20 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.