What i have.
1998 OBDII 2.0l
2* G60 Injectors
SDS EIC
TD Turbo w/diesel manifold @ 10PSI
Stock compression
No chip
OEM Spark plugs.

Is the OBDII not as strongly built as the obd1 and has issues with 10lbs on stock compression?
Im definately running rich, i've tried to give it as much fuel as possible but it still pings under wide open throttle at higher rpm like 4000+rpm. Im running stock plugs/wires..but i doubt changing those to a step colder would stop knocking would it?
im at a loss at this point

Modified by Doolie at 3:45 PM 9-13-2005

· Registered
2,758 Posts
Re: Getting pinging/knocking at higher rpm with 2.0T (Doolie)

If its happening at the same rpm in each gear like a total misfire its prolly the eic loosing the tach signal. If this is the problem you need to send the unit back to sds. Does the units leds shut off at the higher rpms? Usually around 5k?

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Getting pinging/knocking at higher rpm with 2.0T (MDTurborocco)

Quote, originally posted by MDTurborocco »
If its happening at the same rpm in each gear like a total misfire its prolly the eic loosing the tach signal. If this is the problem you need to send the unit back to sds. Does the units leds shut off at the higher rpms? Usually around 5k?

no, i just had it sent back for that exact problem...and i had a friends eic in the car at the time (which cut out at 5g's aswell) but i could go WOT until then and it would not ping at ALL...so i find it weird how this is knocking now when im wot even at 4g's. But i STILL thing its a fuel issue..

· Registered
2,758 Posts

Well Ive tunes a few crossflows with the eic method. I set left knob to 7'' of vacuum. Get some ngk bkr6es and gap them down to around .025. Stock ecu has no problems as long as you have the fuel there. This is just what worked for me on my setups...... Good luck Borrow a wideband

· Registered
5,432 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Doolie »
Is there any way to turn back the timing without getting a chip at this stage?

WTF you are running a turbo kit but can't get a wideband? Give your car to someone who won't blow it up.

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Getting pinging/knocking at higher rpm with 2.0T (cabzilla)

Quote, originally posted by cabzilla »

WTF you are running a turbo kit but can't get a wideband? Give your car to someone who won't blow it up.

Ok idiot, im trying to figure things out that may be eaiser before having to weld another O2 bung in my downpipe.
go on with your boring life.

· Registered
5,432 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Doolie »
Ok idiot, im trying to figure things out that may be eaiser before having to weld another O2 bung in my downpipe.
go on with your boring life.

The idiot is the one too lazy and cheap to do it right. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

· Registered
5,378 Posts

You say your running 'rich'...
How do you know? Just because you have maxed out your EIC?
Stock inj. + 2 x G60 inj. is bascially just enough
fuel for ~10-12psi of boost. (perhaps more since the TD stuff
doesn't flow like a t3/t4)
My opinion is that your are running lean.
Get a wideband on it.

Cabzilla ~may be blunt at times http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif , but he IS ~correct.
How can you afford to do ~everything to add a turbo to your car
except for the tuning?
-Jeff

Modified by Jefnes3 at 1:21 PM 9-11-2005

· Registered
183 Posts
Re: Getting pinging/knocking at higher rpm with 2.0T (cabzilla)

Quote, originally posted by cabzilla »

The idiot is the one too lazy and cheap to do it right. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Just because your insecure and drive a slow a** car
....... doesn't mean you have to take it out on those around you.
Your time should be spent getting an education...........not posting in a technical forum

· Registered
1,442 Posts

Two questions I have when looking at your setup description:
1. Do you have an intercooler
2. Is the turbo from a 1.9 TDI, or a 1.6 TD?
With high compression and stock timing, I would think 10 psi is starting to push it without an intercooler.
If you are using a turbo from a 1.6 liter TD, then I would really expect problems. I don't know the specs on that turbo, but it was sized for an engine that is 20% smaller, revs 30% slower and tolerates higher intake temps. If it's a T3-40 trim, then your compressor outlet temps will be off the chart at 5000 RPM. A 45 trim might be usable with an intercooler.
-Steve

· Registered
5,432 Posts
Re: Getting pinging/knocking at higher rpm with 2.0T (VeeeDubb)

Quote, originally posted by VeeeDubb »

Uh huh. There's no excuse to not tune your expensive project correctly. I'll go drive my slow car around and pray I don't run into a turbo 2 liter.

Modified by cabzilla at 2:37 PM 9-11-2005

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Re: Getting pinging/knocking at higher rpm with 2.0T (VeeeDubb)

Quote, originally posted by VeeeDubb »
....... doesn't mean you have to take it out on those around you.
Your time should be spent getting an education...........not posting in a technical forum

As much as I hate to take cab's side, maybe it's you who should focus more on education. Isn't "your" actually spelled YOU'RE? I'm sure you already knew that though, right? You know... since you're so highly educated yourself.
Doolie, you can get a wideband now and save you engine, or get one later with a new engine. It's that simple.

· Registered
5,432 Posts
Re: Getting pinging/knocking at higher rpm with 2.0T (I am Jack's VR6)

Quote, originally posted by I am Jack’s VR6 »
As much as I hate to take cab's side, maybe it's you who should focus more on education. Isn't "your" actually spelled YOU'RE? I'm sure you already knew that though, right? You know... since you're so highly educated yourself.
Doolie, you can get a wideband now and save you engine, or get one later with a new engine. It's that simple.

How's project Miaturd?

· Registered
3,304 Posts
Re: Getting pinging/knocking at higher rpm with 2.0T (I am Jack's VR6)

Quote, originally posted by I am Jack’s VR6 »

actually "you're" means you are, you used it correctly the second time, but not in bold. But thats enough english for today,
and doolie, hop on OVD if you havent already, chad, 16vturbo, and poco to name a few have all built these set up's with the stock ecu, is it the best way?, no. but it does work with low boost. just as long as you can supply the fuel.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Re: Getting pinging/knocking at higher rpm with 2.0T (Danno13)

Quote, originally posted by Danno13 »

actually "you're" means you are, you used it correctly the second time, but not in bold. But thats enough english for today

wait wait..."You know, since you are so highly educated yourself." pretty sure that works

To get back to topic at least a little....GET A WIDEBAND, people always assume their running one way or the other, but without a wideband, how do you really know how rich or how lean you are....you dont, thats why everyone has a/f meters..(you wouldnt believe how many people think their running rich and are actually lean).....you'll get a much better tune as well rather then "eh i think it runs ok if the knob is about here"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.