VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to remove the maf sensor? Is it able to be fixed by doing something with the chip? Can i just remove it and keep it pluged in but not connected to the IC piping?
I hate that thing!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: Getting rid of MAF sensor (Gerapudo)

no can do...the MAF tells the ECU how much air is entering the engine...therefore it helps determine how much fuel the engine needs...without the MAF, your car will not run period.
The 1.8t fellas have had luck unplugging the MAF...however, there vehicles also come equipped with a MAP sensor as well...the VR6 does not.
only way to get rid of the MAF is utilizing a standalone engine management.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,110 Posts
Re: Getting rid of MAF sensor (oneflygti)

I seem to recall a topic like this in the VR6 forum a while back. I think there was some type of voltage clamp type device that you can use which somehow fools the ECU and allows the car to run well. I am not sure if your car is running bad or not, but I thought I would drop off this little nugget of knowledge (useful or not). You might want to post this in the VR6 forum.
Tom
94 SLC
86 Jetta coupe

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Re: Getting rid of MAF sensor (6cylVWguy)

My MK4 2.0 works without the MAF sensor. Thankgod because i hated that thing

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Re: Getting rid of MAF sensor (Gerapudo)

ok - i can add a few points here.
oneflygti - the engine will start and run and be drivable, but the ECU will throw MAF codes and go into rich mode to protect the engine. You might not even notice a disconnected MAF on a modded engine other than decreased fuel economy!
Gerapudo - like has been said, the MAF tell the engine what Mass Air Flow is entering the engine.
If the MAF fails, it will rely on the TPS and Intake Temp and Engine Speed Sensor to work out how much air is entering the engine.
Cheers,
Jules

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.