VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my Leda units

They are 24 position bump and rebound adjustable and I have specified tarmac rally valving for them. The springs need to be made specially for it (takes 8 weeks due to the holiday period). Going for 550lb at the front and 650 at the rear. Also ordered group n suspension bushes all round. Should be "firm"

Getting the brakes checked next week for clearance on the AP 6 pots, hopefully have them on for the Ring in September.
Will be trying the mod Ian suggested to me last night for the intercooler this weekend.
Now saving up for the 340 bhp conversion!
Hopefully in the spring I'll get it done.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Re: Getting there (TaviaRS)

My god Jon
How much is all this costing!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you still using the car as a daily comuter or are all the mods too much for normal everyday use.
By the way did you say u got a spare set of discs up for grabs if so how much and I take it they are straight swap ones if so i might be interested?
Still havent made my mind up which chip to use, still taliking to APR, AMD and looking into superchips and Jabba
Regards
Karl

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Getting there (Karl RS)

Karl,
Suspension is roughly £900-£1300 (depends on the springs and whether I go gas adjustable with external reservoirs
)
Brakes £1000
Intercooler thing from Ian - FOC
if it works!
340 conversion, under negotiation at the mo, but I reckon its looking like 5K

Still going to use it as an everyday car. If I have to change wheels to fit the APs then I won't be doing them 'til October. If I can fit them then yes I have a brand new set of group N drilled and grooved in standard 312x25mm sized discs to get rid of! Cost new £175. I'll let you know on them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: Getting there (TaviaRS)

TaviaRS, (just acouple of questions)

The springs number (lbs) are fixed for what kind of drive characteristics? Is this going to be too stuff for trips or everyday ride?
How low is now the car (in cm from ground)? is this going to be adjustable in your setup?
Do you think that you must change in addition the front and back ARBs to thicker ones?
If yes, how much thicker more (in mm)? and which brand of ARB?
Regards,
Loukas

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Getting there (Loukas)

OK, an update. Hopefully it will answer your questions.
I already have H&R cup springs which have lowered the car approx 10mm at the front and 20mm rear. They are dual rate springs (soft at the top but as you push they get stiffer. They are probably 30-40% stiffer than standard.
I have now ordered the struts from Leda. Gone for just the oil adjustable ones for the moment. They are costing £85 rear and £160 front each + VAT. Leda will be fitting them for me. With them you specify what valving you want inside. They offer various levels (fast road, track day, tarmac rally and circuit) and I have gone for tarmac rally. They are all adjustable, with 24 positions by a click adjuster. Unlike Konis and a lot of others it is bump and rebound adjustment. So for every day use I can set them relatively soft (about 10% stiffer on bump and 40% stiffer on rebound than standard) but I can increase this by quite a lot (think it goes to about 120% on bump and 100% on rebound over the standard). The great thing is that I can start off with my "normal" springs and see how I get on and if the valving isn't right, being re-buildable shocks, they can open them up and change the valves either softer or harder. Should be fine for everyday use. I've been talked out of the massive spring rates for the moment as they would make it too hard for everyday and the handling would suffer as I would need to run tyres such as P-Zero Corsa/ Micelin Pilot Cup or Dunlop Supersport 9000 as an every day tyres as the very minimum as "normal" road tyres could not cope. So, as I say, the H&R cup springs stay for the moment but will probably go for 350lb and 400 lb early next year, depending on how my Ring trip goes in September.
Leda are also looking at cutting the rear ARB out (yes, its actually welded into the raer beam!
) and replacing it with something more substantial and making up a front one for me. At least I know it will be right for my car rather than the "oh you need a TT front and a seperate Golf rear one" that I keep getting. Plus it will match my springs and dampers

So next Friday I should be a happy boy!
Now I just need to find a track to play on!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts