VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate it i've the 24v owners with GIAC chips could take a second to let me know what you think of your chip (quality, performance gain, reliability, etc.). How much (ballpark) can i expect to pay to have that installed(in addition to the $300 for the kit)? I'm just going to have an intake and exhaust, nothing elaborate. Thanks for your time. John

· Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (2002gtibluvr6)

I used the search fuction. All i got was people trying to sell theirs and debates about forced induction. I don't have the money to mess with a supercharger (even the $3,300 gtibluevr6 is looking for). I've spent my money on various parts (H&R suspension, Eurosport intake, Magnaflow exaust, Pirelli tires,Hella lighting, EIP shifter) trying to get the best all around bang for my buck. John

· Registered
7,912 Posts
Re: (Johnl24vvr6)

Well, the GIAC chip seems to be the most popular here. Expect 3-8 hp throughout the entire rpm range and 6-12 lb fot of torque. It does no tsoudn like much, but keep in mind that those are not peak numbers, they are added to pretty much the whole powerband. The chip also increases the redline to 7200 rpm. It also addresses the DBW lag that soem complain about. There are actaully 2 types of chips you can get, an actual chiop or an ecu reprogram. The ecu "flash" is the easiest way to do it and shoudl take about 30 min once everthign is hooked up. Most places charge around $50 to do the install, but check with your local shop. There have been no reliability issues with the chip. There are other options as far as chips go (EIP, APR, Neuspeed, Upsolute) but most here have GIAC. Just a heads up when you search make sure you choose the 24v technical forum and also click on archives. This has been covered a lot. Have fun!

· Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (NOVAdub)

Thanks very much NOVAdub,....that's exactly what i was looking for. I called Eurotech in Atlanta, i'm going to have them install my chip next Tuesday! I'll see what the butt DYNO has to say on this upgrade

My car has close to 26,000 on it. The warranty was why i've waited as long as i have. I wanted to make sure it was reliable and i wouldn't have any problems before i started fixing it up. John

Modified by Johnl24vvr6 at 8:57 AM 11-16-2004

Modified by Johnl24vvr6 at 9:22 AM 11-16-2004

· Registered
9,426 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Johnl24vvr6 »
Thanks very much NOVAdub,....that's exactly what i was looking for. I called Eurotech in Atlanta, i'm going to have them install my chip next Tuesday! I'll see what the butt DYNO has to say on this upgrade

My car has close to 26,000 on it. The warranty was why i've waited as long as i have. I wanted to make sure it was reliable and i wouldn't have any problems before i started fixing it up. John

Modified by Johnl24vvr6 at 8:57 AM 11-16-2004
Post a dyno http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Johnl24vvr6 at 9:22 AM 11-16-2004

· Registered
2,612 Posts

i have a giac chip sitting right infront of me.
took it out to get apr.
giac was cool, had it for a while. very agressive. i just had too much pinging with it.
i been runnin my apr for a few months and my car runs a lot smoother with their software and my car hardly ever pings. another cool thing is being able to do the functions via the cruise control. few clicks and im stock, or whatever program i want. can do some reset options and also lock it down for valet or the dealer. I finaly get my dyno in a week. so ill see what kinda numbers i get with my mods.

· Registered
8,388 Posts
Re: (bakersfield_gti)

my giac chip fried its self i think some static shock did it in, do you think a GIAC supplier would reflash it or replace it. I have all documentation. I always grounded my self out before playing w/ the little thing too
bad luck> good luck w/ this car. I might sell it or see how it works w/ the test pipe installed which is prob comming in spring/early summer. since the test pipe is supposed to richen up the car, maybe it wont ping w/ the GIAC chip, my car pings stock so the GIAC chip is a no no.

· Registered
7,912 Posts
Re: (Banditt007)

Quote, originally posted by Banditt007 »
maybe it wont ping w/ the GIAC chip, my car pings stock so the GIAC chip is a no no.
Maybe try the APR trial. I cant compare APR/GIAC as I have only had APR but bakersfield seems to think that power is the same and no pinging on his 02. Just a thought.....

· Registered
7,912 Posts

The closest source for 100 octane gas is over an hour away. The funny thing is that I had an easier time finding the 100 octane in CA than here in VA. The shop that did my flash sells 104 octane so mayebone day Ill run her empty and put a few gallons of that in and dyno or something. But they are a goodf 1.5 hrs from me. Let me know when you have thay dyno.

· Registered
7,912 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bakersfield_gti »
i go the 27th for my dyno, so well see.
I just made my appointment to dyno with the intake and exhaust. Im going on the 30th. The shop charges $6+ for the 104 octane and Id probably need at least 3-4 gallons to make sure Im close to 100 octane. Im short on $$ right now because I burned through my tires (all seasons too) in 12k miles. I am taking my car to VIR dec 4-5 and they dont look to kindly at bald tires on a race track. I should get a chance to see how fast I can get her though and not have to worry about going to jail.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.