VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flashloader™ is Windows™-based serial reading and writing (flashing) software authored by GIAC using Ross-Tech scan tool cables. Using GIAC proprietary compression algorithms, GIAC Flashloader™ can flash an 8 megabit (1 megabyte) program in minutes at baud rates acceptable to RS232 Com ports on modern PCs. This is extremely efficient compared to other methods of programming flash memory and there is no need to pull any fuses during installation.

The dealer scans the customer's car and generates a customer purchase information file using GIAC's Serial Suite Software™. The dealer then emails this file to GIAC and within minutes downloads a valid registration file. The dealer uses this file, the GIAC Serial Suite Software and a standard serial cable (GIAC recommends Ross-Tech) to flash the customer's car. If a Boost Controller option has been purchased, the dealer installs Mobile Tuner, verifies proper function and provides the customer with a Mobile Tuner User Guide.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hey Wal, you've got l337 posts!

(Well you won't after your next post...)
So what do those buttons do? I'm especially curious about the 'KILL' button...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (BlahBoy)

Read indicates state of flash
Stock is stock mode
Pump is chip mode
Kill is immobiliser
Valey is pre set safe driving mode you can't go racing
MT01 can be set for variations of chip mode

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Re: (Wal)

Quote, originally posted by Wal »
Read indicates state of flash
Stock is stock mode
Pump is chip mode
Kill is immobiliser
Valey is pre set safe driving mode you can't go racing
MT01 can be set for variations of chip mode

So for example, MT01/02 could be pump and race GIAC code for the VF-Engineering kit? Alongside kill and valet?
Or will the chip-tuning for the VF- Engineering kit not be able to be altered in this way?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (plastic)

Plastic, you are on the right track it will be able to be used with the R32 but we have to be carefull how much we try to sqeeze the forced induction. You won't be able to dial in more boost from a supercharger as you can from a turbo but the flash loader does give you extra options especially beneficial will be the valet mode and kill mode. The race program may be an option when very high quality fuel is available for sprint event. These extra switches just give the driver more flexibility. Its all good.
Keep it on the road.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Re: (Wal)

Guys !
Let me just say I have found out more about this product and it sounds like the best multi program chip product since sliced cheese was invented ! And I have been advised that the stock program that it can hold IS THE REAL STOCK PROGRAM THAT YOUR CAR CAME FROM FACTORY WITH ! This is the multi program chip product I have been waiting for. Hopefully pricing will be good upon it's release and then I am set ! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
645 Posts
Re: (Sloth)

Cool, i have a question. You know how audi sometimes release an update to the ecu stock code to fix any issues (cold start etc etc)
since the flash loader uses an exact copy of the factory code, if you took the car to the dealer and had it flashed, would the stock code on the flash loader then write it back over the updated stock code on the car when you switch it back to stock?

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Re: (chux)

Quote, originally posted by chux »
Cool, i have a question. You know how audi sometimes release an update to the ecu stock code to fix any issues (cold start etc etc)
since the flash loader uses an exact copy of the factory code, if you took the car to the dealer and had it flashed, would the stock code on the flash loader then write it back over the updated stock code on the car when you switch it back to stock?

Maybe you need to read the new code back in to the device. Or better still, maybe it has some smarts built in to it, ie maybe before downloading a higher spec program onto the ECU over the stock one it first reads what is on the ECU/chip already and compares it to what is stored already on the device (version control) and then stores into the device the latest program. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Should be great little gadget to play with. Can't wait for it's official release ! For me though, it sounds like the only truly undetectable way of changing programs on your ECU as you only have have the 1 stock program stored on your ECU when you take it to the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts