VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
APR K04 Vs GIAC K04 Showdown: Software Review

So about a month ago I decided to step away from being a member of APR for almost two years and switch to GIAC. When I was APR STG 2+ with supporting mods the car was fun to drive, but a little on the soft side which APR is known for. When I went K04 and built head I decided to stay APR as it was only a $250 upgrade or so. After running the car for a few weeks and a trip to SoWo I was still not sold as I was looking for the car to run full potential. Other people I know with APR K04 cars have also said that it is a good daily, but not the most aggressive when it comes to spirited driving.

My findings with APR:
Pre-K04 the car was a lot better then stock and the power with STG 2/2+ is great. When I put the car on a dyno I ran a 230hp/270tq on a DynoJet in SAE mode. Low to mid power was great with little to no lag from the stock K03 turbo.

Post-K04 the car ran something like 291hp/299tq on the same DynoJet in SAE mode. Low to mid pulls were felt and it had decent power to about 5k RPMs.

My findings with GIAC:
In general the car with GIAC feels a lot smoother throughout power-ban over any APR configuration. Other APR owners who have driven both cars have also said the same thing. When going into the dyno day the question was "by how much is the GIAC more powerful over APR". Even if the numbers do not show much difference each set of software is good in different ways. APR is backed by technology and a large budget. GIAC redesigns their software from the ground up and provides the best driving experience in any condition. I personally switched after going K04 due to way too many misfire issues with APR and the inability to find a reason for it happening. After switching to GIAC I can report no misfires and the car has had no software issues since. I am sure this is due to me not running all APR products with their software. I am currently running all Forge products with a BillyBoat 3in TBE and it seems to run better on GIACs configuration.

93 Pump the car is really responsive and you can expect 21psi of boost throughout power-ban. This combine with water/meth the car saw numbers up to 303hp/306tq on a DynoJet that was calibrated within .5 in SAE mode.

100 Race the car is a rocket ship and add water/meth I saw numbers up to 335hp/318tq on the same DynoJet that was calibrated within .5 in SAE mode.

Summery of Dyno runs:
By running a 104 race fuel (100 Octane file) and Water/Meth you can see power increases of more then 32hp/28tq. In addition the hp/tq levels with the 100 file are a lot smoother through the power-ban Vs levels found with a standard 93 file with Water/Meth.

GIAC STG 3 DSG software
The shifting is so crisp and almost instantaneous. When running a K04 setup on APR without any DGS software the car would lag due the turbo setup overpowering the gearbox. DSG software is a nice add-on and really does make a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
awesome, awesome thread man :thumbup:

you ran today right? was the 100oct your car today in Eric's thread on mk6? 334/317 one?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome, awesome thread man :thumbup:

you ran today right? was the 100oct your car today in Eric's thread on mk6? 334/317 one?
Yes that was me. The car ran like a dream.. I am going to go back to GCMW and get the rest of the data to post on here.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
great. good to see threads like this popping up.

i may be switching to GIAC...they are gonna be local to where i am moving.

cody

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great. good to see threads like this popping up.

i may be switching to GIAC...they are gonna be local to where i am moving.

cody
The guys at GIAC are super nice and have been nothing but awesome with me. On initial install they mixed up the timing files and gave me 91/93 timing Vs the 93/100 I was supposed to have. They knew I was going to run the car and they rewrote the software Thursday night so I could install it Friday morning.

I do like APR and they are a great company, but ever since going K04 and them telling me "it is not their software" more times then I can count I took a gamble. This time it paid off. Granted talking to other APR K04 owners with the same year who also have done the same mods (Eric being one of them) they have not had the same issue like I have. But still APR is cookie cutter software for the masses. Companies like GIAC and Eurodyne write files specific for your needs and what mods you are running. That's why I switched and that's why I am here talking about it now.

I also liked the fact that I can change files on the move Vs having to shut off the car and use the CC stalk. If you have an Android there is also a free App that supports software switching on the move.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the CTS K04 and GIAC software, Just need to fix some minor leaks and then see if i have the "weak valve springs"
I am also running the CTS K04 as well. I also am running the EuroJet FMIC, Forge twintake/twintercooler/dv, Neuspeed turbo/charge pipes, BillyBoat 3in TBE, and CoolingMist STG 1 Water/Meth

·
Registered
282 Posts
Shawn, I'm jealous! Those numbers are through the roof. If only I could have gotten my car to get an actual legitimate pull, haha.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great post Shawn..

GIAC was impressive. Get Anthony to email all of the runs and make a post showing the difference. GIAC and APR overlaid!

:thumbup:
I talked to him already Eric. I will prob stop back in later this week when he is in and get all of the numbers and data from the runs.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As soon as I get sent the file I will post it up. I made 303/318 no meth just pure APR power. Did not mean to jack your thread just wanted to share my numbers.
Not bad at all. I wonder if your numbers are standard or adjusted. We were 'adjusted' so our numbers are lower across the board by almost 25-30hp and 20-25tq

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shawn, I'm jealous! Those numbers are through the roof. If only I could have gotten my car to get an actual legitimate pull, haha.
I know brother. But we tried many things and no matter what she fought us all the way. Same thing with us wishing we had a Eurodyne car there as well. But oh well, still a fun day.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.