VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very good friend of mine has an '01 S4 with Tip and wants to chip it. Which would be the better choice? I have been doing tons of research on both and really like the idea of Garrett's 1.2bar chip. The transmission would get chipped as well. Is there something else out there to consider? Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: GIAC or APR? (TDIVentoDave)

you might consider that your auto tranny might puke its guts up with the X chip

·
Registered
11,366 Posts

K03s are not meant to run 1.2 bar, and the X chip runs them WAY out of their efficency range. It creates more heat than power up in the higher end of the power band, and you lose top end performance BIG time. You are also sacrificing longevity of the turbos BIG time with the X Chip. Turning up the boost on a chip is the easy way to tune things, creating a reliable chip is the hard way. I'd go APR, from my own personal experience.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Re: GIAC or APR? (airassault)

quote:[HR][/HR]Just find out what APR stands for and I think you have your answer!!
I will go APR when i hit my 5k miles, Im at 1700 now, cant wait.[HR][/HR]​

you can go here and read up on the APR chip w/ the ECMS... http://www.goapr.com
i'm probably going to get the APR chip once my warranty is done with this may.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

I chose between Giac and APR on my 1.8T because:
1. Switch chip, its remotely upgradable (from your home pc option).
2. Its soldered in, i've heard of some stories of folks with chips and sockets, and honestly if it was a good idea to socket the chip, it would have been from the factory. A heavy jar could cause a socketed chip to come loose. Giac isn't putting his name on the soldering jobs, they let independent dealers hack them together.
So I went to the source (APR) drove my ass over there, and they were really friendly, popped my ecu out, showed me the bench where they modify ecu's, their whole shop, and bam, drove home. Incredibly friendly service, especially considering i just popped in one day, pretty much unannounced. No wait, no b/s...

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Re: GIAC or APR? (mrkrad)

Its my understanding that the X chip tapers from 1.2 bar down low to 1 bar up top and gains the rest of its power from timing advances. I'm very torn right now between AWE and APR, although my best bet is to go with APR.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Re: GIAC or APR? (A4 C)

S4 owners on the Audiworld forum seem to like them all equally well, with some very partial to the Hoppen/MTM chip for its low end grunt. Kinda hard to tell tho since most of their posts are one liner put downs. They favor the APR I believe for its superior high end. Anybody previously owning a modded VW is probably going to lean towards Garrett, myself included, because of his excellent track record for making great chips for them.
From the dyno's I've seen, the Garrett matches the MTM and the APR curves.
Since this is the first controversy I've seen about the X chip, I'd like to find out more, but supposedly this has already been done to death at Audiworld. So lets hear it here.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: GIAC or APR? (VR6of9)

VR6of9, the chip war is a never ending battle. HONESTLY to everyone, they are all good. I have the APR...like it very much. I would be just as happy with GIAC, MTM or Abt/AMS........If you have a tuner locally that's a distributor for a specific brand, then get that.......that way you have support locally. They are all so close, it's hard to tell.....there is not clear winner or better chip. A chip period will make an S4 into another animal. Truse me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Re: GIAC or APR? (4DR Assassin)

Rob you gotta come for another Corrado get together the next time you are in Florida

We've gotten a regular VW club here now and could use another audi S4 in the mix

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: GIAC or APR? (VR6of9)

I might be that way again around the NOPI Nats.....if so, I'll definitely look you up!
Also, I might fly to Jax before going to South Florida via Orlando around Christmas. I'll be offf from the 17th of Dec til the 3rd of Jan. Won't be in the S, but I'll be there none the less.

[Modified by 4DR Assassin, 2:26 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
3,305 Posts

I have the Abt and am extremely satisfied with it. If I had a tip, I would probably go with the standard Garrett (unsure about the x-chip) and their tip chip. I've heard that setup is remarkably fast and makes the tiptronic bearable.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: GIAC or APR? (S4inSoFla)

I was kinda leaning toward the Garrett only because I am very close to Matrix Engineering, and they are an authorized GIAC dealer, and that is who they told me to go with. They also pointed out something VERY cool in that for $1300, I could get 4 different switchable software choices that changes the ecu(at the touch of a Keyfob button) from stock to, 1.0bar, 1.2bar, and a super high octane race only 1.3bar setting for the Track only, also including the Tip chip. This is VERY appealing to me. Have the car set at 1.0bar for everyday driving, stock for cruise control, and X for kickin your @$$! I haven't made a decision yet, but there is still tons of research to be done. Thanx again guys!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I was kinda leaning toward the Garrett only because I am very close to Matrix Engineering, and they are an authorized GIAC dealer, and that is who they told me to go with. They also pointed out something VERY cool in that for $1300, I could get 4 different switchable software choices that changes the ecu(at the touch of a Keyfob button) from stock to, 1.0bar, 1.2bar, and a super high octane race only 1.3bar setting for the Track only, also including the Tip chip. This is VERY appealing to me. Have the car set at 1.0bar for everyday driving, stock for cruise control, and X for kickin your @$$! I haven't made a decision yet, but there is still tons of research to be done. Thanx again guys![HR][/HR]​
Does that Keyfob allow you to switch while driving? I think I remember Taner from the S4 forum saying you can't have the car started....I might be wrong though. I have the APR EMCS....you're not supposed to switch while driving, but.........heheheh Stock under most driving conditions...but when I see a potential challenge, time for more power.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Yes you are correct in saying that the car cannot be running during the time of software switching. It would be set on the 1.0bar for everyday driving, stock for stealership diagnosis or long distance cruise control driving, 1.2bar(X) for the street racing, and 1.3bar(XR) for 110 octane track days. It doesn't really matter if I can't switch while driving, I just think that the concept is cool, getting 3 chips in one and the extreme ease of simply pressing a button to achieve a stock looking ecu(through the eye of the computer.)

·
Registered
11,366 Posts

I d on't care what anyone says, 1.3bar is asking for a quick death of your turbos!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts