VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very good friend of mine has an '01 S4 with Tip and wants to chip it. Which would be the better choice? I have been doing tons of research on both and really like the idea of Garrett's 1.2bar chip. The transmission would get chipped as well. Is there something else out there to consider? Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: GIAC or APR? (S4inSoFla)

I was kinda leaning toward the Garrett only because I am very close to Matrix Engineering, and they are an authorized GIAC dealer, and that is who they told me to go with. They also pointed out something VERY cool in that for $1300, I could get 4 different switchable software choices that changes the ecu(at the touch of a Keyfob button) from stock to, 1.0bar, 1.2bar, and a super high octane race only 1.3bar setting for the Track only, also including the Tip chip. This is VERY appealing to me. Have the car set at 1.0bar for everyday driving, stock for cruise control, and X for kickin your @$$! I haven't made a decision yet, but there is still tons of research to be done. Thanx again guys!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: GIAC or APR? (4DR Assassin)

Yes you are correct in saying that the car cannot be running during the time of software switching. It would be set on the 1.0bar for everyday driving, stock for stealership diagnosis or long distance cruise control driving, 1.2bar(X) for the street racing, and 1.3bar(XR) for 110 octane track days. It doesn't really matter if I can't switch while driving, I just think that the concept is cool, getting 3 chips in one and the extreme ease of simply pressing a button to achieve a stock looking ecu(through the eye of the computer.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.