VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think about chipping my 337 with the GIAC chip either with the socketed version or with the IBE switching. This is the only chip I want to install because I want to return my car to ABSOLUTELY stock ECU condition during dealer visits or when I sell it one day except for a visibly physically opened ECU. So please no: go APR, go REVO, go Upsolute etc.... I know that they all have advantages etc. but returning to stock is of high importance for me personally.
My questions to the experts are:
1) Do I need ANY other mod to run this chip properly (DV etc.)? I just want to have a chip a the only (reversible) mod. No further mods planned!
2) What will break first?
3) Any other concerns, suggestions?
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Re: GIAC socketed chip or with IBE switch as the ONLY mod? (bjandeleit)

you can always get Revo switch to stock for dealer visits and when done trade plus cash an ECu with another 20th/337 thats what I plan on

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Yes you can just do the Chip only Thomas Edision (see if you get that one). What will break first -- Diverter valve if you do not have the upgraded one (like 2003s come with). No other concerns.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts

I have the IBE only because it's an easier way, via a remote control device, to switch to stock for dealer visits, or to save gas.
This convenience adds cost ... bout $100 for the remote and $100 for the IBE component. A socket is the cheaper way to go and the right option if you don't mind digging out your ECU.
As far as concerns, I have had minor surging in top gear when rolling into full throttle. Personally, very minor and not worth experimenting with different valves. Also, at times, when I lift off the throttle, there's a bit abrupt shut down of boost momentum, again not major, but in general, it likes more controlled throttle modulation than sudden action ... good training for smoother driving in my mind.
However, if you suspect you'll get all bothered by these behavoirs, then don't chip. Regardless of all the claims of "mine's best," they all have nuances created by increased boost. If this is a concern, back out. Otherwise, for me GIAC has been pure fun and enjoyment... definitely a very significant increase in smiles. As far as mods, a new Divertor Valve is simply recommended, but not at all mandatorty. If the current one starts to fail, you won't hold boost as well, that's all.

·
Banned
1,610 Posts
Re: GIAC socketed chip or with IBE switch as the ONLY mod? (0106)

Quote, originally posted by 0106 »
As far as mods, a new Divertor Valve is simply recommended, but not at all mandatorty. If the current one starts to fail, you won't hold boost as well, that's all.

Is the 4 bar FPR mandatory as well? Cause my car came with a GIAC chip in it but I am not sure if the PO installed the "J" valve or the FPR.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks 0106. Price is not the issue. I just do not have a lot of practical technical experience with cars, just like to drive them and do not want to, and cannot work on them for maintenance. My thoughts for the GIAC chip were, that I can go back to my original ECU chip and not to some "pseudo-stock mode". I think that I have read on this forum that APR and Revo have not the original stockfile for their "stock-mode", just something close or generic to that. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks to everyone who was chimming in.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts

You are quite welcome
Regarding the pseudo-stock mode you mention, that's the "scoop" but I can not confirm. Seems reasonable given what you hear here and there about people's cruise control not working properly after the temporary trial period they offer.
Would seem that the uploaded program is leaving some of it's code behind, even after it expires.
I can say, with the IBE set up, your stock chip is still inside the ECU, and the remote switches from the performance chip to the stock chip. Of course, with the socketed setup, you're physically reinstalling the stock chip.
Given what you've said about not being that motivated to get technical/mechanical with your car, and you have the $, IBE is the way to go.
With any uploaded program, and note GIAC now is launching the same thing, your chip is absolutely no longer stock. With a socketed or IBE chip, you are able to have the car use its stock chip as is, and short of a dismantle of your ECU, the dealer's diagnostic computer will see pure stock.
So there's your risk factors to decide which is better ... an uploaded program that perhaps may cause problems with essentially two sets of code on the stock chip, perhaps cause problems if the dealer reflashes the chip, but offers the benefit of no detectability if the ECU is opened ... or .... a socketed or IBE set up where the diagnostic computer says "stock" safe and sound, but adds the risk of the dealer finding the smoking gun if they open up the ECU. There's a thousand opinions on which is the best way to go, but there is no one best way. You need to decide which risk is more your way of thinking.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts

Yeah I have the IBE and have enjoyed greatly. My biggest gripe is that v.11 has major surging issues up top without a boost controller of some type, and throttle plate closing at 5700 rpm in 3rd and all gears up at full throttle. You don't need a 4bar fpr either. My car runs rich now, a 4bar fpr won't do a thing except eat more gas, and cause a power loss cause of the really rich a/f.

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

GIAC is the way to go if you want your true stock file available at any notice. I have the IBE with stock/93/100 and I love it. The 4 bar FPR and J N75 aren't necessary at all, but if you have surging (which is caused by the N75, not the chip), either a new N75 or MBC is the cure. With a chip as your only mod, you certainly won't need the FPR though.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: GIAC socketed chip or with IBE switch as the ONLY mod? (VDUBNDizzy)

Thanks VDUBNDizzy.
I think I got a couple of good suggestions here. I need something "idiotproof" aka stocklike because I do not have the time (neither the experience) to really work on my car. So just a chip with no downstream issues but giving some more pep is just right.
Thanks again to everyone here.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well your only absolute foolproof method would be to get a spare ECU....switch them in and out as you like (its actually quite quick) with the cost of IBE -- being about 200 -- its similar to the cost of getting a spare ECU to keep around. Although its expensive and kindof a hassle to get a second ECU cloned -- its about the only fool proof method. So GIAC chip installed in your second ECU - $500, second ECU $200-300, cloning process $75. So all totalled about $800? But.. if you look for a used chip on the tex -- which you can definitely find -- it can cut your cost down substantially....you may be able to cut a couple hundred off the price -- just remember it costs $20 to reflash to your ECU if you don't get a chip that was already in a 337, and you have to get it socketed in which is about $75 bucks. SO...finding a chip that is $300 dollars won't save you all that much. Good luck man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts