VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Passat TDI
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 30 foot house trailer frame with three axles under it. It's mostly been sitting unused on our farm for the last 30 years or so and I need something to haul cars with. My general plan is to shorten it by at least 5 feet, dovetail it 10-12 feet, lower the axles by mounting them on the top side of the springs, put on smaller diameter tires, build some ramps and make it a gooseneck. Then there's the smaller things like wiring on some lights, the electric brakes, and some paint. I'll probably just weld on sheet metal for a deck.

Any tips?

Plant Tree Wood Wheel Grass

Wood Grass Trunk Gas Plant

Plant Table Wood Grass Wood stain

Wood Grass Groundcover Gas Plant

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’d assume the bearings are shot. Or at least may be dry/ need new grease? Otherwise not sure…..seems like a lot of weight to pull with the frame alone but perhaps you have a RAM truck with the Cummins engine?
I grew up on a farm too, one of the first things I learned was how to weld….

·
Registered
1997 Passat TDI
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d assume the bearings are shot. Or at least may be dry/ need new grease? Otherwise not sure…..seems like a lot of weight to pull with the frame alone but perhaps you have a RAM truck with the Cummins engine?
I grew up on a farm too, one of the first things I learned was how to weld….
Definitely going to be doing some maintenance on the axles. I might even drop one entirely, I don't foresee needing three for anything. But you're right, it's definitely a lot of weight just on the trailer itself.

In the photos it was hooked to my '89 D350 5 speed Cummins. A couple years back I sold the truck to my dad and bought a '99 2500 V10 5sp 4wd. Apparently it's the same running gear as the Cummins, just with the V10 engine. Dana 80 rear. I liked the Cummins but I needed an extended cab, 4x4, and air conditioning. :p

·
Registered
1997 Passat TDI
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like most car trailers don't even have springs under them because the load itself has springs. It would definitely make my job a lot easier if I didn't even mess around with springs and brackets, I can just cut the drops off the ends of the axles and mount them straight onto the frame. It would get me lower to the ground that way also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts