VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have had this car since '97, drove it for maybe a total of 20 months between spring 97 till fall 01. as of 01 the car had 72,000 miles on it. in 06 it got a new motor but never got used, now in 14 its running again so it must be time to wrap up all the odds and ends and give the poor thing a new coat of paint.

car looked like this after getting its first mild build

1998, ABA bottom end, build digi head and such........

2000, obd1 vr6, corrado dash & seats, started body work

2006, built obd2 vr6, vortech charger, c2 software, started more body work

2014, built obd2 vr6, vortech charger, pnp ms3x, motor harness tuck, 1/2 cage, vwms shifter, A.C., ALMS TT seats

how the motors was left sitting for the last 8 years

specs as of now .......

1991 golf gl shell

corrado 5lug swap

koni adjustable struts/shocks

ground control coil-over conversion

corrado vr6 bottom end

passat vr6 head, rebuilt 100% new everything, 268deg cams, ti retainers,HD springs, new lifters, new valves, valve seats modified to lower valve guides/seals to make room for cam and ensure normal valve seal life) ported/polished, ported polished intake and exhaust manifolds, ported down pipe, and re-welded on the out side.

obd-2 EFI

ARP head studs

mk3 vr6 AC system

passat vr6 5spd tranny

corrado vr6 radiator and cooling fans

2.5" high flow cat, TT 2.5" exhaust w/ borla

corrado dash, rear seat

1/2 cage

smoked e-code aero's and clear e-codes

m3 style taillights

debadged grille

AMS super charger kit, 2.5" pulley

C2 software for charger, C2 maf housing, 42lb injectors, C2 head spacer, C2 120deg belt wrap conversion, C2 intake

KPTuned Plug-N-Play MS3X megasquirt ecu

Walbro GSL392 255 LPH fuel pump

hand laid fiber glass door cards to fit corrado dash w/ speaker pod's molded in, hand laid rear seat cards made to fit corrado rear seat properly.

stage 2 bfi motor mounts

Mocal oil cooler

brand new never installed - some new rubber for doors

electric door locks

power windows

front and rear strut bars

battery relocated to trunk

a lot of this has gone to hell over the years from sitting so things will probably be changing again as i try to finish the car once and for all.......

how the car has sat for the last few years

stuff like this has kept the shop busy for the past few years making it easy to not work on the golf.

after pressure washing away the black widows and years of dust

motors back together enough for its first start-up in years

after starting the car it ran not so happy..... turns out i never installed the c2 software. checkout how awesome the c2 package is after 8years of moving around the shop

nice thing about shipped packages is the date stamps...... if this were a kid id be taking it to school by now ha ha

some late night plasma fun.. the air filter and fender didn't get along, fender lost. i plan to run big bumpers so this should be covered by the bumper.

once i get more time the KPTuned pnp ms3x ecu will get installed and tuning will begin.

tossing this into here so i dont loose it........... next time i touch the car its getting an obd2 scan port so i can log into the c2 chip and adjust things.

http://forums.thecarlounge.com/showthread.php?2692126-vr6-obd2-scan-port-plug

the k line is the grey and white wire
and the l line is the yellow wire
these wires are in the same plug , its a brown female small plug I.I.R.C.
then power and ground , ur done.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
decided to install an diverter valve (DV). may go to a BOV at some point but i have a few DV's on the shelf so why not make use of them.

nice to see the tubing notcher fits 3" tube.

also stoked tire rack got tires to my door in 18hrs from time of order. not bad for ground shipping UPS. going to give a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ102 SL a try.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Nice :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
got the high flow fuel pump installed.

i was shocked to see how closely one of the off-road dual fuel pump mounts i manufacture fit into the stock fuel pump location of a mk2. if i end up keeping this setup i may build a direct fit mount but for now this adapted mount will work just fine.

how the dual pump mount normally is setup.

the coating hides the welds slightly but if you look closely there are 2 tabs i had to add onto the off-road dual fuel pump mount so it would bolt into the stock fuel pump location on the mk2.

test fitting the pump/filter on the bench

installed

installed the boost tube, you can see the forge DV (red in color) just under the elbow going into the throttle body.

motor bay 100% ready to run down the road. its not finished but good enough to hit the road.

another of my off-road production parts making its way into the mk2...... battery box. crazy how well this fit into the location i had the previous setup.

not sure if i will bolt the battery box into place or weld it

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tossing this into here so i dont loose it........... next time i touch the car its getting an obd2 scan port so i can log into the c2 chip and adjust things.

http://forums.thecarlounge.com/showthread.php?2692126-vr6-obd2-scan-port-plug

the k line is the grey and white wire
and the l line is the yellow wire
these wires are in the same plug , its a brown female small plug I.I.R.C.
then power and ground , ur done.

obd2 scan port update................

so if i am reading the Bentley properly

K line = motor ecu data

L line = automatic transmission ecu data

since my vr6 harness is from an manual trans car i wasn't finding a yellow wire to save my life so i started looking into where the wires come from. not that this is magic info but for someone who hasn't messed with this stuff before now its out there so when they search maybe it will come up and be helpful.

i noticed that with only 5-10 miles of use my brand new serpentine belt is looking beat on one edge. i only glanced at things but i am guessing i need to adjust the blower pulley to line up better. has anyone with a vortech v1 ever needed to adjust the pulleys alignment with the rest of there setup? i'm running a setup that came to me used so no knowing whats been done in the past. the blower and mounts are an old AMS kit if that matters. with these belts not being stocked locally (no idea why but not 1 shop in my area had a pk61535 belt in stock or any belt that cross referenced with it) i am thinking a cogged setup may be money well spent as i don't see a cogged belt blowing nearly as easy and leaving me on the side of the road. and hell if the belt isnt easy to find may as well have a really hard to find belt ha ha........

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I love the battey tie down, Im using the same battery mind telling me were you picked it up from?
and pric on the fuel pump mount that looks killer \

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks, ill pm you some info about the battery box.

so now begins the fun.................

i hooked the vagcom up to see how the stock ecu (with c2 chip) was liking life and i found something that maybe could enplane when i run the stock ecu (with c2 chip) the car runs a bit rich.

Address 01: Engine Labels: 021-906-259-AAA.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 021 906 259 K
Component and/or Version: MOTRONIC M5.9 HS V04
Software Coding: 00000
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066
VCID: 1D3A32DE975735F686B-4B00
2 Faults Found:

17834 - EVAP Purge Valve (N80)
P1426 - 35-00 - Open Circuit
17828 - Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112)
P1420 - 35-00 - Electr. Malfunction

Readiness: 0110 1101

should i be doing something about these codes to help the ecu adjust A/F properly? since this car started its vr6 swap as OBD1 im not 100% sure whats going on now that Ive swapped over to OBD2. the items its posting codes for dont exist slash i never had them for the car so the plugs going to the n112 and n80 and tucked away with nothing connected to them ..... i am assuming either ignore them or its time to do one of the classic vortex "tricks" to keep the ecu plunging away properly.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plug the sai solenoid in. Otherwise fuel trims are disabled.
awesome.. this is where not having a drop of smog equipment is going to hurt the project... since i don't have an SAI solenoid is there an method of faking that its installed? Ive been searching but only solid info found for 1.8t's so far using resistors in place of the SAI. i am guessing its something around " 2.20hm's" but purely an guess based on google/vortex secreting with not much tech to back it up .

thanks

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Sure is going to feel good driving this again... I've done the other German car detour and really enjoyed coming back to the MK2 and waking it up after a couple years. Funny - I just had those exact Dunlop brand tires from the same source shipped and mounted two weeks ago to replace the bald tires I had in place. Went with 205-50-15. Great price, nice discount with the mail in rebate. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
grabbed an bluetooth data logger for the ms3x, hope this helps my want to avoid keeping a laptop in the car.

picked up some verdict motorsports shifter bushings for another project a while back and never used them. going to try using them on the mk2 with whatever it ends up with for shifter cables and such to run the VWMS style shifter.

found this while looking for welding supplies

i already have the proper corrado oil pressure (bell style sensor) sensor installed but have no idea how to wire this gauge into the car.

would any of the local vortex guys know what color wire needs to go where?

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
grabbed an bluetooth data logger for the ms3x, hope this helps my want to avoid keeping a laptop in the car.

Just noticed this is the same one I have. I wrapped it in black friction tape for lower visibility... goes with my black ecu box mounted to the black center console it hangs from.

You can do quick tune adjustments using msdroid in the google play store. I gave up waiting for Tunerstudio to do anything on droid for tuning although I own the license and prefer it for laptop tuning.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wow, life is busy........

had a few mins to myself so i poked around on the mk2. goal at this time is to fix these 2 codes.

17834 - EVAP Purge Valve (N80)

17828 - Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112)

since i don't have another obd2 vr6 around to look at im going thru a mk3 Bentley to help find these plugs.

could someone help me confirm where in the harness each of these plugs are and what they look like. i have made things hard on myself since i routed the harness in a non OE manor and extended only the parts of the harness i found needed. i also didn't get any of the emissions parts when picking up my obd2 harness/ecu. so........... i am shooting in the dark trying to fix these codes.

Google tells me the n80 looks like this.

and vortex search tells me it should be near the stock air box. could i get a hand figuring out what part of the harness this plug is located in. does this plug belong in the same harness grouping as the MAF plug?

Google is telling me the n112 looks like this

and vortex search tells me the n112 is located around or under the intake manifold. again if someone could point out what other plugs i may be using that are part of the same part of the harness that would be great.

there is a small chance i didn't extend these plugs or possibly removed them not realizing i needed to do something with them. knowing where they are in the harness will help me track down things a bit easier.

i went thru all the extra plugs i could find today and none of them had the wire colors the Bentley is showing nor did the plugs look like what Google image is leading me to believe I'm looking for.

encase it matters my donor harness is from a 1996 GLX

thanks

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
work has slowed due to getting the new workshop setup. did manage to take the golf for a spin, it idles great makes lots of power once its above 2500rpm but runs like 100% crap from off idle till 2200-2500. and its pig rich......... crazy rich. time to get these bugs worked out so the megasquirt tuning can begin.

for now poor thing has to sit outside the shop.

had a few hrs this weekend so pulled the 4post auto lift out of storage

discovered an past contractor who had moved the lift into storage for me left a lill gift....... destroyed the pump switch

also looks like the pressure gauge will need replacing

cleaned and prepped the lifts posts for paint.

used a small amount of this stuff on a frame i had welded on a few months back. wow the can wasn't easy to open.

not any vw tech but the lift is a hell of a vw tool...... given i am able to fix the power switch and pressure gauge i should be back up and running in the new workshop by weeks end.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts