VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
what beats a flashlight and black widows......... only getting to poke at your vw in the dark.......

so in 48hrs i have 3 black widows now living under the hood of the mk2..... awesome...... or not .... probably not but the webbing is sure fun to remove while watching them run.

i decided to check what FPR is in the car, its a 4bar........ pretty sure i should have an 3bar with the C2 software slash obd2 setup. while looking at the FPR i had an question pop up that search only made more of a muddy question to figure out. When moving from an NA motor to Boost motor......... is there anything special slash different needed when connection the vacuum line to the FPR?....... i am wondering going from a vacuum filled intake manifold in NA mode to now running Boost does the FPR function properly? it seems vortex has conflicting info about this subject so i am asking this for a straight answer from someone who has first hand dealt with the ins and outs of swapping from NA to Boost. the vortec charger came to me used in a box, no info about install so i have no solid info on how it should be installed outside of the small amount of info the web was able to help me figure out. i have the FPR hooked to a vacuum port on the intake manifold, no check valve or anything but simply running a hose from the manifold to the FPR. now rather than seeing increased vacuum under motor load the FPR is seeing Boost...... should the FPR be connected before the charger so it sees only vacuum?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
quick photo of my shaved down AC compressor pulley. this allows the single sided ribbed charger drive belt to work with keeping the AC.

found my oil leak, not sure i can tighten the return line any more without stripping the fittings. i am going to have to take it apart and check why its leaking still. i got the pan w/ the charger used so maybe the previous owner handed down this leak.

almost done cleaning the bay up but not ready to pull the motor and paint it yet.

next up is cleaning this jungle up, its amazing how much wire is hidden under the dash.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
okay so some fun is beginning. who on vortex has a obd-2 vr6 running on a MS3X ecu? i am starting to setup the injection tables and could use some major help getting things configured for all the OEM vw sensors and such. cant wait to get thru the growing pains of learning tuner studio me now = :confused:

:laugh:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
little sideways question.......... i noticed the plastic plug that is attached to the radiator fans (vr6 corrado) is broken and needs to be replaced........ i am unable to find if this plug an be bought separate from the fan. since i didn't snap a photo i did find a photo of the harness side of this plug, i need the fan side that goes with this plug in the photo.

has anyone been able to find the fan side of this plug for sale?

this was the only photo i could find of the fan showing the plug i need. its the black part. looks like its held in place with a few small screws on the back of the fan housing.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
okay search has been no help so ill ask for help.........

hooking up the corrado SLC oil and voltage gauge set.

i already have the proper corrado oil pressure (bell style sensor) sensor installed but have no idea how to wire this gauge into the car.

would any of the local vortex guys know what color wire needs to go where?

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
while looking at the FPR i had an question pop up that search only made more of a muddy question to figure out. When moving from an NA motor to Boost motor......... is there anything special slash different needed when connection the vacuum line to the FPR?....... i am wondering going from a vacuum filled intake manifold in NA mode to now running Boost does the FPR function properly? it seems vortex has conflicting info about this subject so i am asking this for a straight answer from someone who has first hand dealt with the ins and outs of swapping from NA to Boost. the vortec charger came to me used in a box, no info about install so i have no solid info on how it should be installed outside of the small amount of info the web was able to help me figure out. i have the FPR hooked to a vacuum port on the intake manifold, no check valve or anything but simply running a hose from the manifold to the FPR. now rather than seeing increased vacuum under motor load the FPR is seeing Boost...... should the FPR be connected before the charger so it sees only vacuum?

Thanks
what did you figure out with this?

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
You want the FPR to see both vacuum and boost. You have to imagine the fuel pressure difference at the injector tip. When the engine is in vacuum (idle), it's sucking fuel out of the injector when it's open. If you increase the boost pressure above the static fuel pressure (say 45lbs of turbo boost in the manifold but only 30lbs of fuel pressure in the rail) then you would have air going into the injector when it opens. The reference port on the fuel pressure regulator counteracts this rise in pressure on the air side of the fuel injector. Normal OEM fuel pressure regulators do this 1:1 and don't know the difference between vacuum and boost... they're designed to deliver a perfectly matched increase in fuel pressure to increase in intake manifold pressure as long as referencing the manifold. If you unplug the vacuum line to the regulator then you'll be lean in boost and rich (as long as tune remains unchanged) in vacuum. Clear as mud? :cool:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
decided to take a step back in hopes to move forward faster.........

going to build another harness for the car. plan is to separate out each of the systems so i am more quickly able to track down circus while getting everything up and running and down the road upgrades will be that much easier.

also swapping over to weather pack plugs as much as possible.

getting help from corrado club canada with what plug is what....

obd2 to obd1 vr6 info

other great mk2 vr6 swap info

mk2 vr6 swap info

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I would hit up C2 about the SAI codes, they remove SAI from their tunes.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts