VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
in the name of Cogtoberfest............. here is a few quick photos of the freshly released cog setup for v1 chargers from supercharger innovations that will allow me to have AC, power steering and ........... NO more belt slip!!!....

parts came really well packaged in a heavy duty box filled with packing and each part bagged separately.

after taking everything out of its bag here is what we have.........

so far i am really happy with the parts quality and the hardware looks awesome also! the upgraded crank woodruff key and new crank bolt with nord lock is a nice touch.

this kit should help me put the plug-n-play MS3X from KP Tuned to full use.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
so......... shops been a busy place but snook in some time over the last week to fit the cog setup!..........

the pathetic attempt made to keep the belt as tight as possible on the v1 pulley with a stock style belt... that large billet pulley fits so close to the alternator pulley replacing the belt was a real pain. not sad to see this stuff go into a box to be stashed away in storage.

old pulley next to new cog supercharger drive pulley

cog crank pulley next to obd-2 style oem pulley

big part of my cog pulley install is KEEPING working AC..........

here is a exploded view of what parts are on the end of an AC compressor

ac compressor magnet and inner collar that the pulley bearing rides on.

cars looking sad these days, hope these cogs put some :laugh: under the hood

just one of many many things keeping me busy........ 24v parts

amazing to me this weathered 4130 chromoly sheet just became a clean and ready for setup part :beer:

small public announcement slash tip.......... this info may be posted someplace but.... encase

when removing the AC compressor from a vr6 you dont have to jack up the motor to get the upper bolt out. there is this handy notch in the mounting bracket allowing the tip of the bolt to stay inside the ac compressor and slide out the mounting bracket. i would of posted a photo with the compressor, bolt and how they come out as a unit but...... i ran out of hands so here is the bolt only to help show how well things fit, its tight but things work well enough.

even the alternator gets a new cog pulley. the fluffy looking stringy stuff is parts of the old belts. i was lucky to get 2000 miles out of a belt before it needed adjustment or replacing.

along the way of installing the proper pulley for the AC to work with the COP pulleys you will need to remove your existing ribbed ac drive pulley. i can not stress enough how you need the proper tool to do this properly as even with the proper tools bad things could happen. here is a not so great photo of the ac pulley i was trying to remove when the threads on 2 out of the 3 holes provided to make removal easy decided to let loose and remove them selves.

from left to right......... stock ribbed AC pulley, modified stock ribbed ac pulley with center ribs removed and.... updated aluminum clad AC pulley to go with the COG setup

AC compressor ready for reinstall. due to the original pulley stripped thread issue i had the AC system evacuated so i could deal with the AC compressor on the bench.

a bit more work to go before its back on the road but getting closer 1 bolt at a time :pumpkin:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
couple small updates.......

cogs are installed....... one nice thing is my charger actually runs quieter than it did with the ribbed belt. guess all that slippage was more than just some lost boost and short belt life!

belt alignment is no longer an issue

the AC pulley is working well so far. been over 100 a few days here and .... only boost temps are an issue ha ha.... time to start looking into cooling boosted air now that I'm making boost all the time vs. only when the belt was able to hold.

decided to get real and take a step back. i dont have time to keep playing with this car vs. ...... get out and enjoy life so...... the bay shave nonsense is going to stop and items are going back into palce so the car can get back to enjoying life outside the driveway.

ready to continue shaving....

and ready to drive... more a win at this time, glad i kept every old part possible since i got this car back in ....... oh the 90's......

next up was electrical........ sure i had things working well with this reworked harness but there is a ton of bs that could be improved so im going back to a stock harness for the time being. amazing this is only the motor harness (maybe some lights also)

while on the get it going vs. make it cool boat..... i did decide to ditch the oem vw power window controller that has been playing games with killing the battery and randomly running the windows up/down as i drive.

got this to act as 1 touch up/down controller (its a digital timed relay controller) will it work? not sure but at under 5 buks i wanted to give it a try.

picked up 10 of these to help build a simple window operating system among a few other things.

actually a bit more has been going on with this project just slipped past the camera. have started on installing the VWMS shifter and decided to attempt getting a 02j shift tower to work with the shifter upgrade... good move?... no idea but i like the way the o2j cables work at the trans and will help make the VWMS shifter install easier so i am going to give it a try. Also working on getting the ECU's situated better in the cabin.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
pulled the golf onto the lift so i could get to work on the electrical under the car and discovered the blower is making a good amount of bottom end torque. as i pulled onto the lift i bumped the throttle and out from under the car came the ramps.

now to find more time in the day to get these projects finished

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
spent the weekend removing all factory wire between the fusee box to the front bumper and cleaning it up. so far the motors been rewired and ms3x is back in the car.

every vw owners favorite spot to spend time

chose to use the small fuse block to help cleanup some clutter

motor rewired with reworked harness

while looking for something to mount the A/F gauge in found this guy

i need someones old VR6 obd2 front o2 sensor, one with this style plug

wires side looks like this

if you have an old o2 sensor sitting around that you would like to see go to good use PM me.

next on deck is testing the system and getting the ms3x running

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
took a minor detour during the build, my wireless xbox controller needed batteries so i jumped over to japan for 3 weeks. turns out they don't have any better batteries there than we get in the states so i went site seeing instead.

now to get the ms3x running properly, motor is getting fuel but no spark............. ill be swinging by officemax to get the manual printed as the pdf is painful to read while trouble shooting.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
guess getting old is making me a tad of a puzzy......... needed to use the lift to unload a Bridgeport mill and the mk2 was on the lift DOA while i try to get the MS3X working. ended up putting the stock 02 back into the car along with the c2 chipped ecu so i could pull it out of the shop. original plan was to leave the golf in place and still pick up the mill since the car + mill = less than 9,000lbs so the lift wouldn't mind the work. but...... decided it wasn't worth risking some epic fail photos encase something went wrong.

was fun fitting a trailer 3" wider than the lift into the lift....

most nervous thing i have done in years.. really worried me leaving it balancing on a block of wood while i moved the trailer out from under it.

touchdown!...

now to shift it into position and get power to it.

i know not much mk2 tech but...... this will lead to some more exciting parts for this build.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
decided until the MS3X is up to the job of running the car on a daily basis i needed to put some work into getting the c2 chipped oem ecu working better. moved the MAF about as far as possible in hopes to fix idle and acceleration issues, read a lot about guys having luck if they get 3ish feet between the charger inlet and maf so i am going to give this a try. plan is to build custom bumper mounts to help keep this clean as possible. so far in test fitting the front fender/bumper this may not end up being too much an abortion. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
tossed some tig welds down and went for a test drive...... amazing how much better the car runs with the maf moved away from the charger inlet. just sad it is taking so much work to get the car running properly.

after the test drive i started looking into how well the bumper can cover the intake and what its going to take to hold the bumper onto the car.

i have about 1" between the filter and AC condenser. plan is to build an insulated heat shield between the 2 to avoid heat soaking the intake air.

got a set of these sitting around the shop so ill play around trying them out as a new way to hold the bumper onto the car

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
digging around i found some photos of a few updates from a while back.

decided shaved core supports look good but i prefer a bit more function slash less weight. so some access holes were punched into the core support then dimpled.

have a fairly large set of dimple dies making the bit of room available on the mk2 core support easy to work with.

so far only 8 dimples, may add more as more items are incorporated into the core support.

really happy the intake tube fits inside the bumper not creating any flow issues for the radiator. plan is to build a heat shield between the radiator and intake to help avoid heat soak. bumper also fits with stock fender clips, the intake tube has about 1/4" clearance between the inside of the bumper.

dash time........

years ago i had the windshield on this golf removed for the sole purpose of properly fitting a corrado dash. i spent a good deal of time trimming the dash to fit the fire wall properly and relocating everything i could to ensure as much OE fit as possible.

looks good from here.......

looks better up here

big bummer...... i have been holding onto these SLC gauges for a stupid long time and some how they dont fit the dash. not sure if i should mod the gauges to fit or if there is an easier way to get them to fit properly

back in the 90's i did the corrado dash with a mig welder and grinder...... this was the best i could do at the time with modding the knee bar reinforcement.

had to remove a lot of material to clear the heater core fan, and air ducts and steering column.

now that i have a bit nicer tools/skills i decided to spend a evening building a whole new bar that is both strong and fits properly. ended up using 1.25" .125wall DOM tubing a plasma cutter, dom bender, tig welder, band saw and built a new bar that dropped into the car perfectly and dropped 8lbs from the old sketchy bars weight.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts