VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got taken off the line by an Intrepid while driving my '03 GLI (VR6), i know i know, seems terrible....seemed pretty strange to me, so i looked up the specs on the intrepid, some models have about 250 HP....looked up Pontiac Grand Prix's because i figured they are about the same category......they both school the GLI (and GTI for that matter) in terms of HP and torque....does that seem right to you, that those cars which are "dad" cars (you know what I'm talking about) can easily handle a GLI, something branded as a "really" quick-to-accel car??? Let's get some thoughts on this

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Re: GLI < INTREPID < PONTIAC....so sad (glijettagli)

Wrong forum first of all; this is the forum for the new 2004.5 1.8T GLI and Anniversary GTIs. That said, I used to have a Grand Prix GT and it was loads faster than my Jetta is and was nearly as fast as my GTI (in a straight line).

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Re: GLI < INTREPID < PONTIAC....so sad (venom600)

A Kia Rio with a Turbo will be fast, but its still a Kia Rio. I dont care if those cars are "faster" than mine. You can make anything go fast in a straight line. Get over it, magazine racer.

·
Registered
930 Posts

If I was willing to spend the money, I could easily make my van blow the doors off (in a straight line) of most new cars sold today (ever look at what you can do to a Ford 5.0 MFI V8?), but that's not really the point.
We are in the midst of the greatest "horsepower war" since the late 60's. I mean, you can buy a Honda Accord with well over 200 hp today... Think about it... Even as recently as '97, the BMW M3 had a "measily" 240hp and that was good number. How many cars can you buy today that surpass that figure? And not just sporty cars, but your average, 4-door sedan? Is is really needed?
You can't blame the manufacturers because they build what people want. If maker X advertises more power than maker Y, then maker Y has to up their figure or risk losing sales. For years, Honda resisted putting a V6 into the Accord because they didn't feel it was necessary. But their dealers complained of losing sales to the Taurus because of the Ford's V6. Eventually, Honda gave in due to market pressure but I seriously doubt they will ever understand why the average car buyer needs a car that will do 0-60 in 7 seconds...
And the slide continues to this day where we can stroll into a dealer drive out in a 5000 lb pick-up truck with an engine putting out over 300 hp and gets about 12 mpg. But gas is still cheap enough that the average public doesn't care. They just want MORE.

This was one of the reasons I bought a TDI. Buying something with a mear 90hp goes against the grain.

·
25,141 Posts

So what, you are driving a "sporty" version of an economy car.
Stop having grandiose visions of what we actually own.

·
Registered
548 Posts
this topic reminds me of the race video between a new Cobra and some 4 door supercharged V8 Mercedes. The germans won that war,err i mean race a couple of times.

·
Registered
704 Posts

SRT neaon is faster than my GTI VR6.
Would I buy a NEON
NO
SRT is faster than a 2004 BMW 330 Coupe
Would I Buy a Neon

FAST does not equal happy

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Re: GLI < INTREPID < PONTIAC....so sad (venom600)

Quote, originally posted by venom600 »
Wrong forum first of all; this is the forum for the new 2004.5 1.8T GLI and Anniversary GTIs. That said, I used to have a Grand Prix GT and it was loads faster than my Jetta is and was nearly as fast as my GTI (in a straight line).

I have also owned a Grand Prix GT (2000), and it was in no way faster than my Jetta 1.8t. If you meant "GTP", then I would have to agree. But the base GT=

·
Registered
704 Posts

Automatic Intrepid beat your 6 speed GLI off the line?
You need to work on your driving skills.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: GLI < INTREPID < PONTIAC....so sad (loveVR6)

Heh.... you should also watch out for Buicks with 3.8L N\A motors as well. A 92 Lesabre will get up and go off the line unbelievably well. No ****. I was surprised at what kind of power that thing will make.... the newer 3.8L Supercharged thing in the GrandAm is surprisingly fast. Only problem is.... it's a GM. Overpriced for what you get, and underbuilt for what you are paying for. I'll keep driving my German built diesel with all of it's strange little quirks... it has character, and will hold its value for much much longer
Gus
'04 Bora Variant
Black/black/more black
PD TDI

·
Registered
319 Posts

Um, the Grand Prix comes with a V6 supercharger, so eventhough you are a lot lighter than it, I don't think you would of held a candle to it, but I could be talking out my arse, since I never really looked into it. I just rode in 2 of my ex-girlfriends cars.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Your not even driving a sports car man... VW's are economy / passenger cars, especially the jetta... With maybe the exception of the R32...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts