VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I picked up my new GLI on thursday, and man this car rocks! It is my first VW, and what a first to be. The car is fast, agile, and looks dead sexy! I am just having a blast zipping it around... heh, I even get a kick out of the turbo lag (I'm new to turbos), the way it spools up and you can just feel the power pour on!!
I have been taking it out on various country roads for some spirited driving and the car just does a great job! The car just grips through the turns, and while you pull strong lateral G forces the recaros keep you snugly in place!
Anyway, I just took the car up on a cool parking garage for some sweet night photos, and I thought I would share them with my fellow VW owners... (it feels good to say that
)

Damn, those are kinda blurry... but I still sorta like them...

Modified by Usagisama at 11:14 AM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Re: GLI night shots (Usagisama)

Nice! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Congrats on your purchase.....I got the same!
Use a tripod for nights shots........the best $$ you'll ever spend if you take lots of photos.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: GLI night shots (Veedubgli)

I picked up my very first VW last week myself. I love it. I deactivated the DRL's yesterday. They were annoying.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I deactivated my DRL's yesterday, too. heh heh... something I've been meaning to do. I gotta get a Euroswitch now!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: GLI night shots (GTI1.8)

Thanks guys!

Yeah, the photo shoot was kinda spontaneous so I didn't have time to barrow a tripod. I'll try and get some better shots up soon

One question though, and sorry if it is a stupid one, but what does DRL stand for?
EDIT: LOL, I just thought about it harder, Daytime Running Lights right? I kind of like them... what bothered you guys about them? Does it burn out your bulbs quicker?

Modified by Usagisama at 6:47 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
151 Posts

nice ride..i saw the same color as urs at the local dealership near my house..i was drooling on that. Does ur lower front lip fit on to my bumper? It looks almost like minie..but a bit different at the bottom.

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Re: GLI night shots (Veedubgli)

Very nice, congrats!
Quote, originally posted by Veedubgli »
Use a tripod for nights shots........the best $$ you'll ever spend if you take lots of photos.

Amen to that, mine turned me into a decent photographer

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Usagisama »

What does the center of your instrument cluster display?
I don't think ours (20th) does anything.

Someone fill me in!

Modified by DeezNotes at 10:42 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
449 Posts
Re: GLI night shots (Imola Yellow GTi)

thinking of buying one really soon. are the dealers dealing on the cars? what on average are they taking off the sticker? some info would be great

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: GLI night shots (DeezNotes)

Quote, originally posted by DeezNotes »

Someone fill me in!

The screen displays your current miles per gallon your getting. I think you can change it but I don't know how yet, I need to read my manual! Its funny when you start to run it out or accelerate really hard you can watch your fuel economy go out the window!!!

Or you can drive like a grandma and see how good you can get it! I managed a 23.1 in city driving (stop and go) by always keeping the RPMs below 2,000... heh. it was kinda hard!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: GLI night shots (beeradd)

Quote, originally posted by beeradd »
thinking of buying one really soon. are the dealers dealing on the cars? what on average are they taking off the sticker? some info would be great

I got 23,300 which seemed as low as they would possibly go. They showed me the invoice and it was 22,700 (about)... so after dealer fees and profit for the dealership... I feel pretty good about the price I got!

Just don't "think about it" to long if you are gonna get one, people love em and they seem to go quick. If I hadn't been bothering the folks at my local VW dealership about this car so much someone else would have driven home with my Anna!!! I lucked out and and was the first local guy to put a deposit on one!

·
Registered
158 Posts

Someone fill me in!

- Outside temperature
- Momentary fuel consumption
- Average fuel consumption
- Distance Driven (resets when the car is off for 2 hours)
- Average driving speed (resets when the car is off for 2 hours)
- Time driven
- Mile to empty
- Icy road warning
- Fasten Seat Belt
- Please Refuel

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Re: GLI night shots (maxcratc)

Quote »

- Outside temperature
- Momentary fuel consumption
- Average fuel consumption
- Distance Driven (resets when the car is off for 2 hours)
- Average driving speed (resets when the car is off for 2 hours)
- Time driven
- Mile to empty
- Icy road warning
- Fasten Seat Belt
- Please Refuel

Nice........i think i may pick one up somewhere down the line

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Usagisama »

The screen displays your current miles per gallon your getting. I think you can change it but I don't know how yet, I need to read my manual!

On the wiper stalk, on the outside edge of it there are 2 little buttons that go up and down. Thats how you cycle through the options, the button on the underside of the stalk resets said options. I hate watching my MPG when i get on it, my car just yells "$2.29, 2.29, 2.29" as the gallons go by.

Modified by Dubbin1.8 at 7:39 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Re: GLI night shots (Dubbin1.8)

Great car man! I have a the Blue Lagoon model and I love mine. This is my 3rd VW and it is by far my fav!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: GLI night shots (Dubbin1.8)

Quote, originally posted by Dubbin1.8 »

On the wiper stalk, on the outside edge of it there are 2 little buttons that go up and down. Thats how you cycle through the options, the button on the underside of the stalk resets said options. I hate watching my MPG when i get on it, my car just yells "$2.29, 2.29, 2.29" as the gallons go by.

Modified by Dubbin1.8 at 7:39 PM 5-23-2004

Yeah, just figured out how to change the display last night. I finally opened the manual to look it up. But thanks for postin all the same

I totally agree that MPG one will drive you nuts! It makes you feel like you are burning money like it was nothing!!
So far I have driven this car over 300 miles in the last 4 days, and I'm loving every minuet of it behind the wheel!! Or every time I get out and have to stare at it parked thinking "wow, that's my car"

·
Registered
6,163 Posts

Someone fill me in!

Modified by DeezNotes at 10:42 PM 5-23-2004

That MFA comes standard on the GLI. Not fair is it?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Re: GLI night shots (VolksPike)

Quote, originally posted by VolksPike »

That MFA comes standard on the GLI. Not fair is it?

And how long have we had to wait for the 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE GLI??
I almost bought a 20TH GTI but heared the rumors and waited for like almost a year. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif VW Finally got something right, now can we talk about the 3 CEL's I have had in 13 days??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts