VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE

Hey guys, I'm considering buying a Jetta GLI does anyone know what the stock performance 0-60 is? Another question, is there anyway to turn off the slip protection? I test drove one of these and when I was shifting around 6k it felt like the car braked a little then shifted. I did test drive this car in the rain and after first gear I couldnt get the cars tires to even spin a little. (sales guy was next to me maybe I didnt push it all the way)
How much would a chip, p-flo and exhaust boost the horse power?
this would be a big change from my Corrado SLC>
(if only they had a 2003 Raddo
Please post any info on this car and any links to reviews
Thanks a lot
-CorradoRoxs

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (CorradoRoxs)

If you're prone to obsessing over 0-60 & 1/4 mile times... look elsewhere as
the tranny on this car is not purposely "geared" for drag racing.
ESP can be disabled by pushing the button. The stock tires are useless (spin city and terrible hydroplaning).
Punch out the MAF screens, throw on a catback exhaust, upgrade brake pads and replace the entire suspension.
Don't worry about BIG HP gains... out on the open road, if driven aggressively, this car can humiliate a good majority of iron in the $35K+ range.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (BadassVW)

Figure around 7sec for the GLI, knock about 1/2 sec off for the GTI, roughly. But like BadassVW said, don't get caught up in all the 0-60 crap, the vr6 is fast but isn't the best launching car. Definitely do the suspension, i love my setup, depends on how low you want it, and if you can afford coilovers... I personally don't like CAI's, but they will give you a little more top end... a little. Exhaust is a must with the VR6, they sound unreal; and again, small gains. A chip will give you higher rev limits and help with some of the Drive-by-wire issues.
Quote, originally posted by BadassVW »

Don't worry about BIG HP gains... out on the open road, if driven aggressively, this car can humiliate a good majority of iron in the $35K+ range.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif the only way to get big HP gains is with big money, i.e., a VF-supercharger
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (FlyersGLI7)

Quote, originally posted by FlyersGLI7 »
Figure around 7sec for the GLI, knock about 1/2 sec off for the GTI, roughly. But like BadassVW said, don't get caught up in all the 0-60 crap, the vr6 is fast but isn't the best launching car. Definitely do the suspension, i love my setup, depends on how low you want it, and if you can afford coilovers... I personally don't like CAI's, but they will give you a little more top end... a little. Exhaust is a must with the VR6, they sound unreal; and again, small gains. A chip will give you higher rev limits and help with some of the Drive-by-wire issues.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif the only way to get big HP gains is with big money, i.e., a VF-supercharger
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Dude, he knows about the VR6
, tires and suspension best bet for your first mods...then follow the instructions details by your peeps in here

I would have to say th GLI would have to be below the 7 sec 0-60 mark...the 12V Jetta VR6 could do 7.2, (and someone here with a GLS Jetta 12V VR6 did a 6.8)
The GLI is a strong performer... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (gizmopop)

i drag it all the time and theyre right its a pig! she wont go she'll spin all first gear! but on the highway i have some what better results since the gearing is sweet and this car is really made to go top end.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (gizmopop)

Ditto. The stock tires/wheels/suspension cannot handle the power already put out by the 24V, start here.
as for CAI, I have yet to see one properly executed Dyno test that shows any gain beyond a VROOOM sound for the 24V.
A few good Dynos showed minor exaust improvements.
Jury seems to still be out on chips at this point.
The car is incredibly fun to drive stock, with upgradedsprings/struts/wheels/tires it is incredible. Better rubber plant, better body lean, more confidence that the car will stay where you put it.
I have not done the rear sway yet, a common suggestion, wanted to see what the other upgrades did first before going to the oversteer side of the world.
ENJOY!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

I agree, don't worry about the 0-60 times for the GLI -
I think a better stat would be 60-90!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (Fishbone)

Well i'll quantify those times for you because it was tested in Motor Trend a couple months back against the Mazda 6.
Motor Trend's results (from memory and my memory is very good):
0-60: 7.2
1/4 mile: 15.3 @ 92 mph
Thats pretty decent times, and like everyone says, its very much geared towards highway power (its a german autobahn cruiser at heart). But slap on some better tires, get a GIAC chip to allow you to get 60 in 2nd gear, tap the traction control button and expect mid 6 second 0-60s definatly http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
A word of advice for performance, dont get the P-Flow, its useless, do GIAC chip, CAI, and 2.5" catback exhaust, you'll be glad you did on that car

Modified by phinn at 3:28 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
13 Posts

The 0-60mph run is definitaly below the 7 mark, im guessing 6.7, not to sure. The car shines above 60 mph though, and it is a pig off the line (3200 pound pig). I think im gonna do a tire/suspension combo, before any engine mods. I went once to the track and pulled off three runs. My best was a 15 flat at 94mph completely stock, i had a few 15.3's also with a 93 mph trap. It's all about launching this thing, with a real good launch or better set of tires, it is a high 14 second car. On the highway the car surprises me, it's where it shines the most!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (DUB-Q)

My only question is how could you NOT get the wheels to spin? Out of first is easy and between 2nd and 3rd isn't hard to do. It took me a while to learn how to not spin out of 1st.
1/2 second lower for GTI 0-60? I highly doubt that
Anyhow, 0-60 is the most over-rated stat there is irl. Just one of those old bench marks that people can relate to. Get what you like. It's an able car out of the box

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (Fusker)

The GTI is quicker though, it is 200 pounds lighter, how much quicker is it, i have no clue?
It's simple, once the GLI hooks up, it fly's. In gear acceleration is incredible.
The old 12v's had about less than a 100 pounds diffrence between the jetta GLS VR6 and the GTI VR6. Where this extra weight came form on the GLI, stumps the hell out of me!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (DUB-Q)

yeah i ran a 15.8 my very first time at track then i went downhill from then
cant wait to go back i few more miles on the engine maybe i can get into low 15s yeah im still stock with AEM CAI

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (Fusker)

an LSD maybe? I know they mainly help for cornering traction but i'm pretty sure they do some good in the 1/4. I wonder how they would improve acceleration times.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (BadassVW)

Quote, originally posted by BadassVW »
Punch out the MAF screens, throw on a catback exhaust, upgrade brake pads and replace the entire suspension.

Unless things are different with the 24v VR6, removing the MAF screens actually hurts power. The MAF screens supposedly serve to straighten the air flowing through it and can reduce turbulence that can negatively affect metering accuracy.
Maybe I'll do some GTech Pro Competition before/after runs just to be sure...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (B3VR6)

Quote, originally posted by B3VR6 »

Unless things are different with the 24v VR6, removing the MAF screens actually hurts power. The MAF screens supposedly serve to straighten the air flowing through it and can reduce turbulence that can negatively affect metering accuracy.
Maybe I'll do some GTech Pro Competition before/after runs just to be sure...

I have heard this argument over and over... Have had mine removed for over 15,000 mi now never a CEL and defineately better throttle response (especially when switching over to the short runners)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (phinn)

Quote, originally posted by phinn »

Motor Trend's results (from memory and my memory is very good):
0-60: 7.2

Wrong, C and D said my 01 Wolfsburg Edition (150HP) 0-60 was 7.0 and I know my 03 GLI is faster. I used the butt timer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (03GLIDude)

The ole weight versus drag. The Jetta actually has a minuscule of an edge in the drag coefficient department over the GTI. Pretty sure the 0-60 advantage is at most .1 for the GTI.
143 pound weight difference (VW Web-site, 3,036 to 3,179)
drag coefficient +.01 in Jetta’s favor I believe
The two almost cancel out. Slight edge to GTI, ½ a second though? No way

·
Banned
20,212 Posts
Re: GLI STOCK PERFORMANCE (FlyersGLI7)

Quote, originally posted by FlyersGLI7 »
Figure around 7sec for the GLI, knock about 1/2 sec off for the GTI, roughly.

That is correct. C&D got 6.5 0-60 for the 25th AE and correct if I am wrong but I think Motor Trend got 7.0 0-60 for a 03 GLI.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts