VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I already have the Wolfsburg and have no regrets, but I'm curious as to what the performance differences are compared to my buddy's GLI.
Here's what I believe to be different:
-Different suspension
-Different rear brakes
-no launch control on WE
Are there differences in the steering setup? And can anyone tell me what exactly is different about the suspension? Is it just the springs?
Thanks!

· Registered
12,738 Posts
Re: GLI vs. 08 Wolfsburg (chadillac3)

Springs and shocks are different for sure, sways also I believe. That's it though. Steering is the same, except for the wheel.
The rear brakes are indeed different though? I know some where questioning if it was true. Then there's the body stuff, like headlamps, valences, etc.

· Registered
3,280 Posts

I know what most of these differences are. I just did a comparison last month to help me decide if i should get the GLI or the Wolfe.
On the GLI, it has the sport suspension. So it's a little bit stiffer of a ride, but it corners much better. Also, the brakes all around are bigger by a little bit. GLi also comes with the Highline MFD, sport seats, honeycomb grille, steering wheel audio and MFD controls, different side skirts (if you can call them that), a different rear valence, Bi-Xenon headlights, and fogs.

· Registered
3,280 Posts
Re: GLI vs. 08 Wolfsburg (mxracer)

For sure!! I've got the cloth seats, but they still feel great!!

· Registered
1,320 Posts
i've had the oportunity to drive both, and i can def. say that the handling difference is night and day.
the wolfie is without a doubt a great value car, but take my advice, if you want to buy a wolfie, DONT drive the gli, lest you live knowing the difference.

· Registered
3,280 Posts
Re: (AngryScientist)

Lol! Totally! Thats what happened to me! I was planning on getting a wolfe, but then i drove the gli! And it was sooooooooo much cooler! So i got the gli instead!

· Registered
12,738 Posts
Re: (AngryScientist)

Quote, originally posted by AngryScientist »
i've had the oportunity to drive both, and i can def. say that the handling difference is night and day.
the wolfie is without a doubt a great value car, but take my advice, if you want to buy a wolfie, DONT drive the gli, lest you live knowing the difference.

True, but spend $1000-1500 or so and the Wolfie will embarrass a GLI in the bends.

· Registered
3,135 Posts
the steering wheel in the gli/gti makes the upgrade worth it. imo, the stock suspension on the gli is weak so i can't imagine what it must be like on any other jetta. you need aftermarket in both cases.

· Banned
2,317 Posts
Re: (gliplatinum)

well, neither of them are necessarily "soup cans with tornadoes in them", they are both very heavy and underpowered stock, I never drove the GLI but I own the 08 Wolf. I love the DSG and I really, realy, really wish I had the LEATHER hi-bolstered seats! and MFD, and Xenon, and Fogs, and lower valance.
it would have been 5,000 more dollars that I dont have, so I settled.
like I said, I have only compared the Wolf to the R32 and I was reluctant to sit back in my car to drive it home from the dealer afterwards. VW needs an R36 Jetta.

· Registered
18,601 Posts

The GLI is definitely worth it to me, especially as a complete package. My girlfriend has an 08 Wolfsburg, and it does not feel the same to me at all.
The Wolfsburg is a few thousand $$ less, but for good reason. It's more of an empty coloring book in my opinion as opposed to a filled in picture.

Modified by Jetty! at 3:00 PM 8-6-2008

· Registered
606 Posts
Re: (Weedo)

Quote, originally posted by Weedo »
We went with the Wolf ($22,600 MSRP) and added $200 H&R's and a set of 19" RS6 Reps. Isn't the GLI another $5,000ish?

That kind of evens the playing field for two areas (I believe GLI has sport shocks too), but there are many other things that go into a gli. After you upgrade headlights, seats and steering wheel you're probably over the price of a GLI. Especially if you buy those parts new. My GLI sticker was only $24,300.

· Registered
2,356 Posts
Re: (tucker3434)

My 08 6mt wolfie was $20,800.
Vmaxx coilover suspension $600
GLI-rear bumper lip- $125
GLI- side skirts- $90
Rline fog grills (better looking than gli IMO) $70
CF Front grill -$100
Hella MKV Xenon look Projector headlights $450
Osir Front lip- $150 (used)
Inpro smoked Indicators- $60
Total cost, not including my upgraded wheels since it comes with 17" classix like the GLI's used to
- $1645 in parts and the $20,800 for the car, grand total= $22,445.00
Yes I do not have the better bolstered seats, MFD, and steering wheel....but for what I wanted it definitely fit the bill. I always new I would be changing allot on the GLI if I bought it, so I didnt see the necessity to spend the extra $3-4k.

· Registered
645 Posts
Re: GLI vs. 08 Wolfsburg (Jetty!)

Quote, originally posted by Jetty! »
The GLI is definitely worth it to me, especially as a complete package. My girlfriend has an 08 Wolfsburg, and it does not feel the same to me at all.
The Wolfsburg is a few thousand $$ less, but for good reason. It's more of an empty coloring book in my opinion as opposed to a filled in picture.

Modified by Jetty! at 3:00 PM 8-6-2008

LOL! Tell us how you really feel!

One other key thing here that no one has mentioned...
We leased our Wolf:
$205/m
36m
$2000 down
They couldn't come anywhere near that on the GLi we looked at. Because the cost of the GLi was that much greater without the benefit of a much higher residule (future resale value) the cost was $100 and change more per month. Forget the seats and the steering wheel (yeah, they're nice but...), we have a car now that handles as well (better?), rolls on 19" wheels, and has a EVOMSit Tune, all for a couple thousand less.
I look at it this way:
Mustang LX 5.0 vs Mustang GT back in the day. Which one is worth more now?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (CNY_VDUB)

I actually prefer the seats in the Wolfsburg more as I'm not a small guy. They definitely don't hug as well as the GLI seats, but they do quite well for a stock seat with synthetic leather.
Suspension...I'll have to decide if I want to do that. What I really like about the car is how smooth it is...we'll be using it quite a bit driving to and from our parents' place next month when we move.
I LOVE the V-Tex; if it's anything like the fake stuff in the Charger Daytona R/T I had, it won't wear at all and can be cleaned with a damn cloth. Perfect with the kiddo.
Cosmetically, I prefer the GLI, but I'm not sure I'll make the change. The MFD would be fun, but I'm one of those nutjobs who will play with it constantly, so it's probably in my best interest not to have it. The ONE thing I would like is steering wheel audio controls, but I'll survive.

LOVE this car.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (chadillac3)

Still loving the car...really doesn't seem that much different in terms of driving than my buddy's GLI and the GLIs I've test driven in the past. Then again, I'll say the steering and handling in our regular Mazda3 hatch are easily superior to the GLI either way, so I'm kinda used to better handling. I'm sure with aftermarket parts the GLI would be superior, but a Speed3 would be a better comparison cost wise vs. a GLI. With that said, not exactly the same application.
I do love having a turbocharged car...my Charger Daytona R/T was DEF faster, but it's a ton of fun getting used to the 2.0T.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.