Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - VW n00b here...
I love DSG and the 'Whee!" factor of these cars. I love that VW has put out some killer lease rates this month. I'd buy either the GTI or GLI, but would still like to know the differences between the two. What are they?

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
Re: GLI vs. GTI (zigthis)

Quote, originally posted by zigthis »
Hi - VW n00b here...
I love DSG and the 'Whee!" factor of these cars. I love that VW has put out some killer lease rates this month. I'd buy either the GTI or GLI, but would still like to know the differences between the two. What are they?

One is a hatchback the other is a sedan, one is made in Germany(the GTI) the other one in Mexico(GLI). The GTI( in my opinion) handles better and is a little faster. Other than that they are the same car.

·
Registered
19,769 Posts
Re: GLI vs. GTI (invincible)

GTI FTW!
Anyway, if you are looking for alil more practical people say GLI, however I think the 5 door GTI is the most practical. I fit a 50" DLP is my car last night, might as well be a station wagon. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I am obviously biased but I would drive both and choose the one that suits you better (Oh and the GTI's are a lil cheaper)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Re: GLI vs. GTI (invincible)

Quote, originally posted by invincible »

One is a hatchback the other is a sedan, one is made in Germany(the GTI) the other one in Mexico(GLI). The GTI( in my opinion) handles better and is a little faster. Other than that they are the same car.

GLIs are assembled in Mexico, the parts are from the same place. I think it boils down to how you use it. I never used to like hatchbacks and always told myself I would buy a GLI over a GTI but I switched

·
Registered
89 Posts

GLI is a sedan, GTI is hatchback. If you have a family and do not have a second vehicle (sedan), then the GLI is for you else I would take the GTI.
Test drive them, and get a feeling for both. GTI's got a harder suspension and better acceleration. GLI is a bit more spacious on the inside and it's got lots of trunk space.
Here in Mexico GTI and GLI cost about the same, but abroad the GLI will probably be more expensive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, perhaps the country of origin explains the differences in the residual values: 51% for GLI, 55% for GTI. Of course, VW hacked the money factor on both - .00175 for GLI, .00068 for GTI - so that the payments would be roughly the same.
I guess the GTI wins...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: (_leo_)

Quote, originally posted by _leo_ »
gti has mor tunk space then the gli
its a hatchback of course and more rear headroom.

Yes, but you have to sacrifice the rear seats to get the available space. Not very useful if you want to take the family with you along with the luggage.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Re: (_leo_)

Quote, originally posted by _leo_ »
4 door GTI ftw =D

w3rd.

If a 4-door GTI hadn't been available, I'd have coughed up a few more bones for a 4-door A3 2.0T.
My 1-y.o. son says he digs the GTI. I figure that's what "Da!" means.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You're 31... don't buy a GTI, you'll skew the demographics

Besides, I could fit a GTI inside my trunk and still have room for 4 passengers.
They'll tell you it's faster, but they are identical under the hood and like 100lbs different (vs. the 5-door, iirc).
Listen to your Fast.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
pfft... I'm 34 and went from a Legacy GT specB to a 4-door GTI. Demographics be damned!

The specB was nice, but I missed having a dub, and I really dig hatchbacks. So here I am...

·
Registered
12,252 Posts

Quote, originally posted by zigthis »
Hi - VW n00b here...

The forum search infortunately does not allow for searches of such small search terms (GTI, GLI, vs, etc) however, this doomed topic pops up at least once a month always ending in a fiery ball of misinformation rolling uncontrollably down Fanboi Avenue.
See, many folks here defend their choice of model almost to the death, as if life itself actually depended on making the other side feel inferior thus confiming their obvious superiority. I'll never understand it but that's how it is. I think prevention is the best medication! Thus, I hope this final post answers your question. If not feel free to PM me.
The real differences between the two are:
- Obvious badging
- Point of assembly (none pointing to lower quality than the other - In fact, cars coming from both plants have proven to be very reliable and often having the same quirks, down to the most minute ones)
- GTI available in 2 and 4 door configuration. GLI is only 4 door
- GTI has side rubstrips, GLI does not
- GLI has rear bumper reflectors, GTI does not
- GLI being about 130lbs rear end-heavier than the GTI.
The following info comes straight from the official VW spec sheet. Wheelbase, horsepower and torque numbers noted for clarification purposes:
GLI
Wheelbase 101.5 in
Body Length 179.3 in
Curb Weight MANUAL: 3,290 lbs DSG: 3,334 lb
Cargo Volume 16 ft³
Rear Head Room 38.5 in
Horsepower (SAE) @ rpm 200 @ 5,100-6,000 (147 kW @ 5,100-6,000)
Maximum torque, lbs - ft @ rpm 207 @ 1,800-5,000 (280 Nm @ 1,800-5,000)
GTI
Wheelbase 101.5 in
Body Length 165.8
Curb Weight MANUAL: 3,162 lbs DSG: 3,213 lb
Cargo Volume 14.7 ft³
Rear Head Room 39.3 in
Horsepower (SAE) @ rpm 200 @ 5,100-6,000 (147 kW @ 5,100-6,000)
Maximum torque, lbs - ft @ rpm 207 @ 1,800-5,000 (280 Nm @ 1,800-5,000)

That about sums it up. Hope this helps.
Quote, originally posted by invincible »

As pointed out earlier, the assembly plant is the only difference in the manufacture process. Some knowledgeable autocross instructors, argue that the GLI handles better due to the more even weight distribution, since the added weight on the GLI (while negligible) is in the rear end. Handing is largely driver-skill based, though. Skilled drivers on GTIs may outhandle GLIs and vice versa, if both were to find themselves competing at the track. They are also both rated identically power-wise since they have the same powerplant so none is faster than the other, stock per stock.
Quote, originally posted by jminero »
GTI's got a harder suspension and better acceleration. GLI is a bit more spacious on the inside and it's got lots of trunk space.

Here we go again spreading misinformation...
Stock GTIs and GLIs have the same suspension, horsepower and torque. GLIs and GTIs have the exact same dimensions and wheelbases as well. While legroom, shoulder room and seating capacity are identical, in fact, GTIs have slighly more headroom for the rear passengers since the roof of the car does not slope downward like on the GLI. See rear head room numbers above. As far as trunk space, yes, GLI has more cubic inches of cargo space. However, GTIs can accomodate larger vertical objects due to the hatch.
Which of the two is more practical is up each owner and the type of objects you plan on hauling. GLIs can haul a larger number of small items while GTIs can haul larger items with more ease (example above: There is no way you can haul a large TV on a GLI, which is not a problem on a GTI).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.