VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2004 RS R32, 2004 GLI Wagon project.
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been wanting to build an OEM (as possible) GLI Wagon for a very long time. I had a 04 PG GLI for about 10 years but sold it to get my 16 GTI. Now the stars have aligned perfectly....at the right time to allow for this project and I'm pretty pumped. I want to document this as much as possible but I don't do Facespace so I figured go oldschool and document it here on Vortex like people used to do. Not a lot of traffic in this forum, but I'm not concerned with that, just some place to document and for a few others to enjoy the journey.

My manager is constantly buying cars from auctions and fixing them up, he showed me this 04 GLI smashed in the front one day and I was like....meh. Later that day I just happened to get on craigslist and found a 04 wagon for sale in my area for cheap.....light bulb!! So I bought both.

The GLI did start and run, but I only ran it for a few seconds as the oil cooler and radiator were smashed. It's also super clean inside (135K), which was one of my main concerns. Seats are super nice (aside from all the pet hair :sly:) all the trim is there, nothing is broken that I have found so far and there was even a 5th RC in the trunk for a spare...BONUS :D!! My plan is to strip the GLI of everything needed to transplant into the wagon, motor, 6spd trans, interior, side skirts and rear valance, suspension, brakes etc. If I can use it on the Wagon, it's coming off. What can't be used will be sold or scrapped with the shell.

The Wagon is also pretty clean (139K) and is a 2.0 with a 5spd. Runs and drives fine and the drivetrain will find it's way into my friends Caddy once removed . So once the GLI is out of my garage, I'll bring the wagon home strip it down for a color change, then start putting it back together....easy peasy :rolleyes:.

Current state

·
Registered
Double wishbone majiggy
1,154 Posts
Ugh, I keep seeing pictures of BBS RC's on various different VW's lately. They always look so good!

Best of luck on this project man, hope it goes swimmingly!

I did this build to my old wagen! Super fun and mad respect when you rip into a muckstang.
That wagon build looks f*ckin incredible

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good lookin Wagon

Got some work done last night, took off the rear bumper, tail lights, trunk emblem with the lock, F&R seats, door panels, and most of the GLI trim.

Also the previous owner must like my idea so much they decided to donate to the build .

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Subscribed :popcorn: ... Looking forward to seeing more progress on this build :cool:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks. Not much cool stuff happening currently, just removing parts needed for the swap. I was also busy this weekend trying to put the interior back in on my Ranger so I can drive it again, just in time too as this showed up today :D. Should make things a little easier. They are/were on sale at both Home Depot and Costco if anyone wants to take advantage :thumbup:.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Cool jacks. I bought the biggest ones Harbor Freight had. I jacked each corner up independently one at a time until I could work off a roller with my forearms straight.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No real updates or progress (other than ordering and receiving some parts :D). Slipped on some ice and landed pretty hard on my tail bone :mad: so I've been dealing with some lower back issues. But I am starting to feel better so I hope to knock out a bunch of work stripping the GLI this weekend. Sooner that's done and finished the sooner I can bring home the wagon and start on it.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Been a while since I made an update, some of the unfortunate things in life happened and I lost motivation for a bit, plus, all I was doing was stripping it, so kinda boring content. Motivation is back, the GLI is now 99.9% stripped of what I need, all that's left is the D/S axle as I didnt have the tool yesterday. I'll borrow one this weekend to remove it. Then I can scrap the shell and bring the wagon home.....to start stripping that one :rolleyes::sly:

Don't worry that RC is staying with me lol.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Progress. The shell went away this weekend, even got $50 for it :laugh:.

Which allowed me to bring home the wagon finally :peace:.

Heres the parts stash that I have accumulated so far :cool: (some not MK4 related lol)...

and the parts I have ordered recently, some were last ones available :D. Now the fun begins

I will be making a "part out" thread soon for the wagon parts I'm not needing or using so if you need anything let me know. I also still have GLI tail lights, mirrors and dome light that I'm not using from the GLI :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.