VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've liked Glocks, but the basic grip of the G17 etc never fit me well. I'm a 1911 guy, they fit my hand quite well.

Saw a write up on their newer 9mm subcompact, and something caught my eye, the grip looks slimmer and I may be seeing things but the web of the hand looks to rest a bit higher than a normal sized Glock.

Has anyone handled one in person, bought one, tried out one at the range, etc?

Size compared to a "a cheap and crappy Charter Arms .38 Special revolver"

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I had one for about a year after they first came out. It was the only Glock that was comfortable for me to hold and you could literally conceal it under anything. However the trigger is garbage and I'm not one to spend extra money perfecting a gun that is perfection already so I sold it. Its a little snappy but otherwise not a bad shooter especially if you get mag extensions.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I bought one about a year after release. This one included the new connector that alleviated many of the complaints of the early model. I figure the trigger breaks at 5lbs or just a hair over. Now I have had G17s and a G19 and the typical stock Glock trigger uptake is crunchy and has a mushy wall before the brake. Not this one. It has very minimal uptake and the brake is relatively clean.

Mine has been outfitted with Trijicon HD Orange and a TLR6. Also added a Tarran Tactical +2 with extra power spring.

Now by nature I do not like a two finger grip, but the stock pinky extension and the TT+2 really allows for a full grip like a full size pistol. Its nice and slim, but the grip is long enough along the center line to not allow torquing in the hand during shooting. Of course a pistol this small will be snappy. I equate its snappyness to my P2000 in 40. Its slim, and very low profile. Perfect for summer IWB carry. Accuracy is excellent at 15 yards. Its limited capacity lends it to a self defense/brake contact as soon as possible weapon should such a scenario arise.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts
I've liked Glocks, but the basic grip of the G17 etc never fit me well. I'm a 1911 guy, they fit my hand quite well.

Saw a write up on their newer 9mm subcompact, and something caught my eye, the grip looks slimmer and I may be seeing things but the web of the hand looks to rest a bit higher than a normal sized Glock.

Has anyone handled one in person, bought one, tried out one at the range, etc?
I believe a handful on the forum have one.

I am not a Glock fanboy, and I'm going to get one for the wife. My sister-in-law has one and has shot at the Glock matches with it. My wife shot it and loved it. A ton more than a G19, and better than her SIG P238. She shot it pretty well, also.

It fit my hand comfortably, and I prefer it over the Shield.

·
17,761 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'17 Alltrak SEL, '08 BMW R1200RT, '96 VR6T Cabrio, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
23,380 Posts
We have both a G43 (mine) and a G42 (my wifes) in our safe. I use the G43 quite a bit as a CCW gun as well as keep it in the safe in my center console of my truck. I have done all of the basic upgrades from Ghost in the form of the edge trigger connector, extended magazine release, polished the trigger and installed a Crimsontrace laserguard laser. One of the biggest changes that made the most difference was to get a magazine extension from Vickers Tactical because it not only gives you two more rounds, but it also helps stabilize the gun while firing. The challenge with some of these lighter polymer guns with short barrels and small bodies is that they have a decent amount of recoil that cannot be suppressed by weight or body length.

Mine works very well and while I prefer shooting my large-framed Glocks a bit more, this one has several hundred rounds through it without any sort of jam or mis-fire of any sort. The concealability cannot be beaten IMHO. Plus, I tend to think that a 9mm round is a bit more effective than a .380 round for personal defense.

·
17,761 Posts
We have both a G43 (mine) and a G42 (my wifes) in our safe. I use the G43 quite a bit as a CCW gun as well as keep it in the safe in my center console of my truck. I have done all of the basic upgrades from Ghost in the form of the edge trigger connector, extended magazine release, polished the trigger and installed a Crimsontrace laserguard laser. One of the biggest changes that made the most difference was to get a magazine extension from Vickers Tactical because it not only gives you two more rounds, but it also helps stabilize the gun while firing. The challenge with some of these lighter polymer guns with short barrels and small bodies is that they have a decent amount of recoil that cannot be suppressed by weight or body length.

Mine works very well and while I prefer shooting my large-framed Glocks a bit more, this one has several hundred rounds through it without any sort of jam or mis-fire of any sort. The concealability cannot be beaten IMHO. Plus, I tend to think that a 9mm round is a bit more effective than a .380 round for personal defense.
Agreed.

I shot the G42 when it came out and was pleased with the result the first time I shot it. But it felt small still. Just like my wife's P238.

If they made the G42 the same size as the G43, that would be just fine and dandy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a pretty big fan of the G43. I don't own one but I will be snatching one up soon. I've rented it a handful of times and for what it is it totally gets the job done. For me as a Glock fanboy, I see them as pretty utilitarian. The grip does seem to be a bit higher cut into the frame to get a good, solidly high purchase on the gun. For me and my hands (the most average medium ever), the size is pretty perfect. I like the slim profile. But the capacity is lacking in my opinion. Of course, that's the give/take of a "pocket pistol." I'll definitely doing some sort of +2 baseplate. The point I'd like to make, and other have touched on it, it's not exactly "fun" to shoot. It's not like it's terrible or is painful. I had a Ruger LCP years ago and I genuinely didn't like shooting it because it was a bit painful in the web of my hand while shooting. Just my first post and my 2 cents. Happy purchasing.

·
17,761 Posts

·
Registered
41,655 Posts
I'm waiting on a Ghost 3.5 connector and Taran base pads for the Mrs G42.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some how I lost the pin that goes by your palm at the rear of the grip, while installing a Ghost connector. It was a pretty tight fit and it went flying across my office. I'm a dope.

Just ordered replacements from the Glock store and went ahead and grabbed the gold pins and gold slide cover plate.... :laugh:

·
Registered
41,655 Posts

Put on a Taran Tactical +2 base pad. I run them on my 43. If I shop for gloves I buy extra large size, so I can now fully grasp it.

43 > 42

The 43 is barely larger than the 42, but has the same capacity, but in 9mm vs 380. The 42 isn't small enough to be a true pocket gun. I still like the 42, but just get the 43.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
FV-QR

Love my G43. I carry it in an Alex & Ryan design master blaster holster AIWB. I also have a Gen 3 G23 that I've had for 6 years. I have sanded down the "backstrap" due to my smaller hands, it helped considerably. I prefer the grip of the 43 w/ mag extension over the 23. I am a smaller guy so it's also a lot easier to conceal as well.

Here's a pic of the holster I have that I found online. I'd buy it over and over again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Love mine. Extremely concealable. Strike industries mag extension (2 rounds) makes for a perfect fit in the hand.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Love my G43. I also have a 2 round mag extender, and I carry it daily.

Every coworker of mine that carries a backup gun on duty carries a G43 in their vest.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
just picked up a Gen 5 26 and after i wait my 30 days ill be picking up a 43x

·
Registered
175 Posts
just picked up a Gen 5 26 and after i wait my 30 days ill be picking up a 43x

Did you get your 43x yet?
I started with a g42, then the bug hit...
Since then
G19.5, 19x, 37, 24c, 40, & I too bought a 43x
43x for me was the perfect edc
It’s at the spa right now receiving full cerakote, tfx pro sights, & ultimate glock flat trigger...
Should pick it up within the next few days

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I technically bought it last week but cant pick it up until Friday after I've "cooled off"...:rolleyes::facepalm:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts