VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi vortexers, this is the vag-com code that I am getting from 99 TDI. I believe it is the glow plug bus bar, but I am not sure - does anyone have any insight?
1 Faults Found:
16764 - Glow Plug/Heater (Q6) Circuit Malfunction
P0380 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Re: Glow Plug Problem - Any Assistance (canuckjetta2.0t)

When it comes to glow-plug issues, that is the most common code. it could be a few things...most commonly, it means that the Glow plug harness is either corroded and not working right, or that it's gone bad. This is a $25 piece part (IIRC) and can be replaced in a few minutes.
I had the code for a while then magically it went away. I checked the car periodically for new codes and didn't get any. The malfunction did not hinder performance or starting so I just live with it. If I have a problem, maybe I'll replace my harness...check the TDI Club for this issue.
Mikey

·
Registered
364 Posts
Re: Glow Plug Problem - Any Assistance (mikeyworks)

You will most likely need to replace the glow plug rail...it's the most common...the rellay is less frequent.....the reason it may not come on after cleared is because the system watches for amp. variances for problems, so if the connection from the rail to the plug is a little loose it sees a resistance....bingo light on...and no you cannot tighten the connectors...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Re: Glow Plug Problem - Any Assistance (canuckjetta2.0t)

VW had problems with the Relay they updated it you should check it out the old part number started with a 028 and new one is 038

1 - 4 of 4 Posts