VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i start driving down the road my glowplug indicator lights comes on and starts blinking, i just replaced my glowplugs this winter, what could be causing my indicator light to keep blinking?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Glowplug Indicators Keeps Blinking...WHY? (EuroShowOff)

As a guess it is your break lights. Either they are burned out or the switch is bad.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Glowplug Indicators Keeps Blinking...WHY? (hannaco)

my glowplug indicator is affected by my brake lights?

·
Registered
517 Posts

It is almost definitely the brake switch, which is a cheap plastic $6 part. It gets stuck in the open position, so that when you brake, the brake lights don't go on. That circuit is linked to the cruise control, which is dependent on that voltage drop to know to disengage the cruise. The computer senses that you've stopped, but can't register your brakes as having gone on, which it records as a "implausible condition" and it flashes the glow-plug light (weird, I know) for lack of a better indicator. It takes all of 2 minutes so swap out the switch. I bought two when I ordered my oil filters online. Yeah, the car is under warranty and there is now a recall, but taking it to the dealer would waste half a day.

Modified by [email protected] at 11:18 AM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
22 Posts

Yep and yep.
I got the recall notice last week and then on the weekend I was backing into a parking space and notice that the glow indicator was blinking. Looking at the wall behind the car there where no break lights showing (even though I was stopped with the brake fully depressed).
I tapped the brake a couple times and it started working again. Will be going into the dealer in the next week to get it taken care of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts