VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Any pics that take a tour through the interface?
I have a sudden urge to find one of these, wire it up, rip out my Golf's HU and HVAC controls, and put this in.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Re: GM Visual Information Center - Oldsmobile Toronado, Buick Reatta, Riviera (bhtooefr)

hehe that's so pimp.
Of course, finding one that doesn't have burn in will be hard.. maybe NOS somewhere?

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be cheating, but a 9" touchscreen LCD with a green overlay wired into the CRT circuits, if it's sending a raster signal, to fix a burned in unit?
I gotta think a burned in unit would be cheap as hell.
Of course, heck, I've got a 9" green CRT tube in decent shape, in an Apple monitor...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Re: (bhtooefr)

Quote, originally posted by bhtooefr »
It would be cheating, but a 9" touchscreen LCD with a green overlay wired into the CRT circuits, if it's sending a raster signal, to fix a burned in unit?.

Somehow I'm sure GM used some bizarre proprietary analog system that would be a huge pain to convert to digital, heh...
But wow, they misspelled gauges right on the thing!

Modified by Juniper Monkeys at 2:08 AM 11-10-2006

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Juniper Monkeys: If it's analog, I can get it into an LCD. Most cheap LCD panels take in analog, not digital.

·
Registered
11,109 Posts
Re: (Juniper Monkeys)

Quote, originally posted by Juniper Monkeys »

But wow, they misspelled gauges right on the thing!

Modified by Juniper Monkeys at 2:08 AM 11-10-2006

Gauge and Gage are both correct spelling. I actually thought Gage was the standard US spelling and Gauge was the British/Canadian spelling of the word - like color and colour.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Re: (Live-Wire)

Long ago we had a Toronado with touch screen, it was a pain in the arse- did not seem to react well to touches when it was cold out

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Re: (Live-Wire)

Quote, originally posted by Live-Wire »

Gauge and Gage are both correct spelling. I actually thought Gage was the standard US spelling and Gauge was the British/Canadian spelling of the word - like color and colour.

I dunno, never seen that before...gage has always meant an object which is a good faith deposit, when a noun.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Juniper Monkeys »
I dunno, never seen that before...gage has always meant an object which is a good faith deposit, when a noun.

It's just one of those things that GM liked to spell different... much like "Rallye" wheels.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Re: (Apollo-Soyuz 1975)

...or the DAY/NITE mirror.*
My buddy has one of these Rivieras; I get to play with the touch screen thing while he drives. It even has a calendar so when you start in the morning it can remind you of whatever you've scheduled into it. I didn't know it had the "gages" feature, however. I'm going to pay more attention to that on the next ridealong.

* I always used to wonder what DEICE meant. It was one of the AC positions on our 1971 Chevrolet.

·
Registered
14,819 Posts

"Dictionaries (at least in the US) seem to consider "gage" to be an alternate spelling of "gauge". But common usage suggests "gage" refers to sheet metal thickness, gage blocks, and most concrete measurement systems and devices. "Gauge" seems to refer to pressure gauges and level gauges. Comparing Machinery's Ready Reference, Machinery's Handbook, and the MSC catalog, there is no agreement on "wire gage" versus "wire gauge". Time seems to have corrupted any clear distinction, and things are most likely different in England and other places."

·
Premium Member
19,269 Posts
Re: (gotta_jet)

A friend of mine is really into Reattas. I am going to guess that this is why. It's really cool. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I think we can go for early MFA, or with the calendar, maybe a first stab at a carputer?

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Re: GM Visual Information Center - Oldsmobile Toronado, Buick Reatta, Riviera (bhtooefr)

I want to see someone hack in Asteroids or Space Invaders.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, in theory, if you wired in a button to switch the control panel and video feed over to a 6-in-1 TV game, you could do that.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts

Ford has been known to use the g-a-g-e spelling as well. It is cheaper to implement and takes up less space.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I think the VIC is the coolest. I actually would love a '90 Olds Trofeo. One of the few GM cars from that era that is truly unique.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts