VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a car that had Onstar or an Onstar-like system available. IIRC, many automakers do offer it now, including all GM (incl Saab), Lexus (i think they license it) and Acura (ditto).
So does anyone have personal experience with Onstar? Is it useful, or just a marketing ploy? IIRC there is an upfront cost ($500?) for the system, plus like a $100-400 (depending on service) yearly fee. I may be off with these #s.
Anyway, is it useful? Any stories?

·
Banned
13,344 Posts
Re: GM's Onstar system: is it useful? (jastevenson)

We just used it on our Denali last weekend...somehow the keys got locked inside (we were at a racetrack and we needed to hook up the trailer and get out of their before it closed)...just called them up and they unlocked it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,748 Posts

People hack them to act as GPS recievers that can plug in to a laptop's serial port.

·
Registered
27,945 Posts

I just bought a car with Onstar.
I'm just getting the safe-and-sound plan, not all the bells-and whistles.

·
Registered
27,945 Posts
Re: GM's Onstar system: is it useful? (Cooper)

Also, there was just a post in here about a dealership that "lost" a person's Mercedes. He used the system to track his car. A tech had been taking his the Mercedes home at night.

·
Registered
15,228 Posts

The one thing it seems most useful for is unlocking the car after locking one's keys inside.
Excuse me, but does this happen on European cars, or Japanese cars for that matter? Why is it still so easy to lock one's keys in their American cars??
In 10 years, I have NEVER locked my keys in either of my 2 VWs, and for obvious reason. And people wonder why folks like me consider European cars to be superior.

On Star, another useless but profitable service, proudly offered by GM.

It also records accident information, whether you want to or not.
Im sure it could come in handy, but I think Id want total control over the extent of service, preferably from a different competing service altogether (whether one currently exists or not).

Modified by RogueTDI at 4:15 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
Re: GM's Onstar system: is it useful? (winkosmosis)

Quote, originally posted by winkosmosis »
People hack them to act as GPS recievers that can plug in to a laptop's serial port.

I was just thinking about that.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Re: GM's Onstar system: is it useful? (RogueTDI)

Quote, originally posted by RogueTDI »

On Star, another useless but profitable service, proudly offered by GM.

And Volkswagen.
And Mercedes-Benz.
And Audi.
And Acura.
And Subaru (okay, bit of a GM connection there).
OnStar is an emerging technology. Pretty soon, I predict all cars will have it in one form or another, and it will be used in ways we likely haven't thought of yet.
Do you only invest in blue-chip stocks? You appear to be one with rather limited vision.

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
Re: GM's Onstar system: is it useful? (Sunil)

Quote, originally posted by Sunil »

And Volkswagen.
And Mercedes-Benz.
And Audi.
And Acura.
And Subaru (okay, bit of a GM connection there).
OnStar is an emerging technology. Pretty soon, I predict all cars will have it in one form or another, and it will be used in ways we likely haven't thought of yet.
Do you only invest in blue-chip stocks? You appear to be one with rather limited vision.

Oh, no, dont get me wrong, Im sure there is lots of potential in it, and yeah, I know its offered by many others. Is there a competing brand do you know?
I just laugh because 90% of the ads are "oh please help, I locked my baby in the car!! Oh no!!"

Those things just crack me up. And again, what are the statistics between foreign and domestic cars for locking one's keys inside??

·
Banned
36,395 Posts

Oh, no, dont get me wrong, Im sure there is lots of potential in it, and yeah, I know its offered by many others. Is there a competing brand do you know?
I just laugh because 90% of the ads are "oh please help, I locked my baby in the car!! Oh no!!"

Those things just crack me up. And again, what are the statistics between foreign and domestic cars for locking one's keys inside??

Americans drive more than anybody else in the world thus making more silly stuff such as looking the keys inside. The GPS tracking devices are coming into our lives and there is nothing we can do about it.
Oh and there are a lot of people that lock their keys in other countries too, guess how I know.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts

Excuse me, but does this happen on European cars, or Japanese cars for that matter? Why is it still so easy to lock one's keys in their American cars??

What the hell difference does the car's nationality have to do with it? Does the car snatch the keys away from the owner or something?

Oooh, look, I can make meaningless anecdotes too: In eight years of owning my Plymouth I've never locked my keys in my car!!!

Modified by xdre at 7:12 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,317 Posts
Re: GM's Onstar system: is it useful? (xdre)

Quote, originally posted by xdre »

What the hell difference does the car's nationality have to do with it?

Yes it does. On American cars, you can lock the drivers door without a key. Its a great convenience feature for lazy people until they lock themselves out.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Re: GM's Onstar system: is it useful? (Hajduk)

Quote, originally posted by Hajduk »
Yes it does. On American cars, you can lock the drivers door without a key.

Okay, and? On Japanese cars, you can do the same thing if you hold the door handle up. How does that remind someone to check for their keys, especially after it becomes an automatic response?
Quote »
Its a great convenience feature for lazy people until they lock themselves out.

That's about as "lazy" as rain-sensitive wipers or auto-dimming mirrors--or even mirrors that angle down when you put the car in reverse.

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Re: (CountryBoy)

Quote, originally posted by CountryBoy »
HEY! Lets bash a valuable service because its used and owned by GM! Yes lets!

I wasn't bashing. Quite the contrary. If On-Star was a VAG product or a European innovation, it would the greatest thing since sliced bread. But since it isn't .... it's fair game for pot-shots. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,796 Posts
the only reason VW and Audi have OnStar is the same reason VW has Monsoon- they were sued by GM (long story) and part of the settlement involved VAG being forced to purchase GM parts for a certain amount of years.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Re: (NoDubJustYet)

I have a friend who is a GM service advisor and he's had many instances of having customers come in to get the OnStar taken out of their vehicle.
Wives can use it to track their errant husbands who are "working late at the office".... And of course, Husbands could use it to track their errant wives who are "out with the girls".
His favorite story was the husband getting it uninstalled after the wife got the news she was pregnant and "On-Star"ed the hubby to surprise him with the news. When she got to where he was, it was the mistress' house. Surprise!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts