VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

41 - 60 of 7486 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Re: go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask... (JUSTINCASE1021)

Quote, originally posted by JUSTINCASE1021 »
why were some 2002 golfs called the "337" ???

337 was the internal project code VW used for the MKI. the 2002/03 model was the anniversary edition of the GTI in NA, thus the 337 designation.

·
Registered
44,099 Posts
Re: (thesteve)

Quote, originally posted by thesteve »
I could use a history lesson......
Why do we have steering wheels on the left hand side/Europe, etc. has it on the right......(who decided to differ and for what reason)........

England has them on the right. Europe has them on the left.
The English Army had their horsement pass people on the left side of the road so that thier sword-hand was free (just incase). Napolean (so the story goes) didn't like to do anything the way that the British did, so he changed it.
The US probably would have been right-hand drive, but the Model T wouldn't work with rhd, so Henry Ford made it left hand drive. Since the 'T' was the standard for the U.S., everyone else adopted lhd!
Ta-Da!
*These are stories as I have heard them and I take no responsibility for their accuracy!

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Re: (Air and water do mix)

Quote, originally posted by Air and water do mix »

The English Army had their horsement pass people on the left side of the road so that thier sword-hand was free (just incase). Napolean (so the story goes) didn't like to do anything the way that the British did, so he changed it.
The US probably would have been right-hand drive, but the Model T wouldn't work with rhd, so Henry Ford made it left hand drive. Since the 'T' was the standard for the U.S., everyone else adopted lhd!
Ta-Da!
*These are stories as I have heard them and I take no responsibility for their accuracy!

and to add to this: Places throughout the world with British influence at one point or another will most likely have right hand drive cars, while the other places will have LHD. Not sure how Japan got their RHD standards though...

·
Premium Member
18,249 Posts
Re: (WannaCorrado)

"Why would you buy a pickup and then put one of those cap things over the back end? Don't you just end up with a really ugly station wagon?"

·
Registered
44,099 Posts
Re: (atomicalex)

Quote, originally posted by atomicalex »
"Why would you buy a pickup and then put one of those cap things over the back end? Don't you just end up with a really ugly station wagon?"

No, you end-up with a station wagon that's hard to park, gets terrible mileage and is almost impossible to see out of!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Re: go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask... (jebglx)

What are the MkI, MkII, MkII, etc. equivilents for Audis? Here, I'll list the ones I can think of so you can just fill in the blank.
UR-Q
V8Q
Coupe Q
A4 (first and second gen)
A6 (first, second and third gen)
A8 (ditto)
This has been bothering me for some time now.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Re: (Air and water do mix)

The English Army had their horsement pass people on the left side .........
Ta-Da!

That's actually a much more interesting answer than I was anticipating........I figured it involved a pissing contest somewhere down the line though...... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
44,099 Posts
Re: go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask... (mister_g60)

Quote, originally posted by mister_g60 »
What are the MkI, MkII, MkII, etc. equivilents for Audis? Here, I'll list the ones I can think of so you can just fill in the blank.
UR-Q
V8Q
Coupe Q
A4 (first and second gen)
A6 (first, second and third gen)
A8 (ditto)
This has been bothering me for some time now.

There is none. Audi was bought by VW to get the Mk 1 golf (and to a lesser extent, the K70). Sort of a canary swallowing a cat scenario. Until the Audi A3 came along, there was no crossover. I'm pretty sure about this, though there could be a model or two in Europe that I'm not familiar with. Anyone? Anyone??

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Re: go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask... (mister_g60)

How does BMW decide their model designation numbers? E30...etc?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Re: (thesteve)

Quote, originally posted by thesteve »
I could use a history lesson......
Why do we have steering wheels on the left hand side/Europe, etc. has it on the right......(who decided to differ and for what reason)........

Wow. May be there's a geography lesson in order. Europe is several times bigger than GB. GB doesn't = europe same as USA doesn't = world. They don't even want to be considered as part of europe, but want to have EU capital.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Re: go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask... (JUSTINCASE1021)

Quote, originally posted by JUSTINCASE1021 »
to bump the thread to the top

Modified by JUSTINCASE1021 at 11:35 AM 10-7-2005

Also "bring up my post"
There is none. Audi was bought by VW to get the Mk 1 golf (and to a lesser extent, the K70). Sort of a canary swallowing a cat scenario. Until the Audi A3 came along, there was no crossover. I'm pretty sure about this, though there could be a model or two in Europe that I'm not familiar with. Anyone? Anyone??

The only "crossovers" I know of are the B5 A4 / Passat and the K70.

Modified by axe at 10:06 AM 10-7-2005

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Re: (nourdmrolnmt1)

If 2 cars are traveling on I-90 towards each other and 1 car is traveling at 65mph and the other at 75 mph, when will they pass each other supposing that they started 300 miles apart?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Re: go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask... (Air and water do mix)

Huh?? So by "crossover" you mean shared the same chassis/platform, right? Ok, let me clarify. I'm not asking if there were any crossovers, but what are the chassis/body/model/whatever designations for the various Audi models. Are you saying there aren't any? So as in MkI and MkII for Volkswagen E36, E39, etc. for BMW ... such a system doesn't exist for Audi?
No way.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Re: go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask... (axe)

How does the automatic gear shift work?
To clarify, I mean mechanically, how does it know when to shift into a different gear?

Modified by BlueNDGold at 10:24 AM 10-7-2005

·
I could've been a contender.
41,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

So as in MkI and MkII for Volkswagen E36, E39, etc. for BMW ... such a system doesn't exist for Audi?
No way.

actually it's A1-5, B1-6 etc for VW not MK

bill

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Re: go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask... (jebglx)

Quote, originally posted by jebglx »
actually it's A1-5, B1-6 etc for VW not MK

Right - it's just mildly confusing/annoying at times when you say A3 and A4 because of Audi.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Re: (G-rocco)

Why did Audi and VW change their grill to look so $hitty?
I know the heritage behind the grill, but it looks like bunk.
NOT GOOD LOOKING

GOOD LOOKING

Modified by Golgo-13 at 10:25 AM 10-7-2005

·
I could've been a contender.
41,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

Right - it's just mildly confusing/annoying at times when you say A3 and A4 because of Audi.

yes it is, isn't it

just busting your bawls...
damn audi...why couldn't they have stuck to numbers? oh yeah...
what year & model of your car?
it's an '89 90.
what are you? some kinda wiseass?!?!?!

bill

·
Registered
480 Posts
Re: (AutobahnTDI)

Quote, originally posted by AutobahnTDI »
Jake brakes are only loud on trucks with modified exhaust systems.
If you ever see a sign that says "no jake brakes" take a photo and send it to Jacobs. It's a copywrite infringement and they don't like their company getting a bad reputation.

Wronge.
There on just about any HD Truck engine 95+.
Seriously, take the head off a Cummins ISX......Hey look! A Jake Brake!
Some JBs come intergrated in the Feedback systems of recent BIg Diesles.
It basically works on the fact its just another vavle. Driver hits switch, vavle opens in the head, on any Stroke on all cylinders and just dumps it all out the exhuast.
Cutting power, making it easier to brake those big shats.

41 - 60 of 7486 Posts