VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you get stationed in Germany you can get the long Euro plates for your car, what about a German who gets stationed in the states what do they do?

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Re: Go to Germany to get long Euro Plates. (77kafer)

wow, they're still using wehrmacht plates on their cars. I thought it was for official vehicles only.

· Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Go to Germany to get long Euro Plates. (omgwtfbbqcopter)

I forget if he is an Oberst or an OberstLeutnant, but in any case I call him "The Exchange Officer" lol. He is assigned here at West Point for 3 or 4 years. He is the second one that I know of to go down to the dealer near DC and buy a brand new Passat wagon to eventually ship back to Germany when he leaves.

· Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: FV-QR (88Jetta350)

The value of the US purchase has way more to do with how the car is optioned.

· Registered
2018 Atlas V6 R-Line; 2019 330ix M-Sport
39,881 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 77kafer »
I forget if he is an Oberst or an OberstLeutnant, but in any case I call him "The Exchange Officer" lol. He is assigned here at West Point for 3 or 4 years. He is the second one that I know of to go down to the dealer near DC and buy a brand new Passat wagon to eventually ship back to Germany when he leaves.

I wonder if he gets a better deal on military/diplomatic sales in the US from VW than we do here?
The VW and Audi sales are a joke and not even worth it. BMW or Volvo are the only ones worth a damn buying from over here.

· Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Go to Germany to get long Euro Plates. (NoDubJustYet)

The "Foreign Exchange Officer" that was here from around 2002 to 2004 bought a brand new Passat wagon (at the same dealer in the vicinity of DC) 6 months before he left. I spoke to him while he was filling up at the AAFES gas station, (thinking he had just shipped it over) and he told me that he would be saving 6 to 7,000$ including shipping and any TUV conversions from a similarly optioned wagon in Germany. And that was without any diplomatic discount. He just used Virginia plates, not Euro plates.

· Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

A couple more Fotos, the second one with the front of Historic Quarters overlooking the Hudson River.

· Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Go to Germany to get long Euro Plates. (mumbles117)

On Washington, or further in? When were you here?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.