VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to clear up some confusion between myself and a freind.
I thought VW did the following:
on the 8v blocks: stopped provisions for A1 style motor mounts in 1996.
on the 1.8T blocks: stopped provisions for A1 style motor mounts in 1998.
I personally haven't done either of these particular swaps.
Can anyone verify this or set the record straight? I have a chance to get a '99 Passat with 1.8T in it for 1500 bucks from a bodyshop who'll take door panels and fenders, so on and so forth except for the hood and want to swap it into an '88 Scirocco. One guy says that there are holes tapped in the block for the A1 style motor mounts and that they stopped doing that for 2000 in all cars, and then there's me, who was led to believe waht I listed above. I thought VW/AUDI stopped doing that before the 1.8T ever made it into VW's line-up. Whats the story?
Which engines have these holes tapped into the block? And for the ones that don't, is there any kind of blueprints, or a premade kit to use them in an A1 chassis car such as a Scirocco, Jetta, or Rabbit?
Thank You!
Also... which engine codes are which on the 1.8T engines... can I get like a list or some sort? I know there's a couple... maybe 4 or 5. I'm also wondering about VR6 motor mounts in and A1...
All this fervor is because I'm getting tired of the 16v in my Jetta (it's starting to feel slow to me), and so I'm going to do something quite a bit quicker, and just as reliable. Basically, I'm on a pilgramage to 'get my jollies' again mashing the gas pedal and getting out of my own way! hehe http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by VWSoda at 5:53 PM 1-12-2004

· Registered
2,519 Posts
Re: God-Awful Motor Mounts... I need to set the record straight for myself here. (VWSoda)

The Passat AEB 1.8t engine code has the BIGGER valves, and the provisions for the MK1 mounts. This makes this code the one to use for everything. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: God-Awful Motor Mounts... I need to set the record straight for myself here. (84_GLI_coupe)

So... effectively, I could use this engine, with my A1 motor mounts, and if I got the "bigger" computers, I could be looking at 180 or more horespower with stock pieces?
Are there any other code blocks that have the holes drilled and tapped in them for A1 mounts? I guess I already know that the AEB code head is the best one... What about trannies, can I use my old 4K tranny with this setup?
Also, is swapping computers all I need to do, to swap up to the 180hp version? I think I am going to definitely get this passat... its running currently just fine.. no noise, no nothing, and a good turbo.

· Registered
24,970 Posts
Re: God-Awful Motor Mounts... I need to set the record straight for myself here. (VWSoda)

the turbo and motor model dictates the power.
You'll find the newer motors albeit with lesser flow have better turbo's (and NO forged components 9.3:1) compared to the older blocks like the AEB.
The AEB style motors can even have a distributor added (someone did this to run digi-1) with a custom intermediate shaft.
They usually come with the crappier k03 turbo and 9.5:1 pistons. Chipping a DBW motor (due to its superior design and uprated turbo) gets better results.
You may want to use standalone to avoid all the b/s like immobilizer and extra crap like emissions control (obd-ii) crap.
Although the newer dbw run widebands full time, it does allow the ecu to be more flexible.
Think of the ME 7.0 of the old cable drive as a more passive ecu like predecessors, and the new ME 7.5+ as an active (load based) computer that is far more flexible.
Each has its plusses and minuses.. But standalone might give you the best of both worlds. Since the chip prices are still pretty high, and the net gains per chip aren't alot with the stock turbo.
once you take a path of a larger turbo you have to seek custom programming for that ecu as well. You'll find that not all options are covered on all ecu's. Some folks programming is better than others, etc.
You cannot simply wire in a DBW computer into a cable throttle car and expect it to work, it won't. Places like eurospec sell conversion kits ($$$) to convert DBW motors to cable shift, but for all that money you could go standalone and not be trapped. if thats within your budget.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: God-Awful Motor Mounts... I need to set the record straight for myself here. (mrkrad)

Alright... I've got alot to learn about drive by wire, and different software packages... but, from what I've read that you had to say, if I want to use all VW parts, try to find the newest setup I can and I have to do drive by wire, and if I want to go standalone, I can use the AEB Passat stuff and still use my cable throttle.
BTW... I'm picking up my Passat tonight... I'll prolly have at least the motor out by tommarow, and begin pulling the wiring out over the weekend.
Right now, from your advice, and others, I'm tentatively planning to use the stock turbo, and end up buying a decent management system... I figure I'm already ahead of the game because I got the car at a resonable price, so why not do it right? Later down the road, I'll be upgrading the setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.