VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to go Eibach (it's what my budget allows) should I go Prokit or Sport-Line?
I like the lower drop of the Sportline, but it is my daily driver and I live in Toronto (i.e. not the best roads) what do you think? I'd love to hear from people who have experience with one or the other.
Thanks.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Re: Going Eibach. Should I go Sportline or ProKit? (hawc)

Just got back from Wellesley VW in MA. They just installed my Eibach Pro Kit!
The difference is night and day. Perfect drop!!!!!
Love it!!! Drove from Wellesley to Waltham, about 6miles on I-128. OMG the difference is amazing. Ride feels just as comfortable as stock yet the handling is much more precise and firm.
I do not need more drop than 1.3 since I live near city. This is what I've been missing. Now I understand why people say Suspension before anything.
I give my vote for Eibach Pro Kit!!!! Go for it!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
418 Posts

Thanks for including that choice, it saved me the trouble of adding it myself. But if you're talking about options 'for old time's sake', hawc, you're headed down a slippery slope!!

·
Banned
517 Posts
Re: Going Eibach. Should I go Sportline or ProKit? (rs4-380)

sportline sportline sportline !!

but again, 90% of my driving is highway! and these are race springs!! They are slightly lower now that they have settled.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re: Going Eibach. Should I go Sportline or ProKit? (soundzero)

The dealership installed an after market suspension setup for you? I know they sell the Eibach springs but I didn't know they would do the entire kit (with shocks/struts). Did they say anything about your warrenty? How much did they charge (parts and labor)?
Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

soundzero, you didn't do shocks at the same time as the Prokits, did you? Your back looks lower than mine and you definately don't have the raked look these springs are supposed to give you. The black GTI pictured below has the rake. I have Bilstein Sports with my Prokits and the rear looks about .5 inch higher than yours.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Re: Going Eibach. Should I go Sportline or ProKit? (Autobahn)

quote:[HR][/HR]soundzero, you didn't do shocks at the same time as the Prokits, did you? Your back looks lower than mine and you definately don't have the raked look these springs are supposed to give you. The black GTI pictured below has the rake. I have Bilstein Sports with my Prokits and the rear looks about .5 inch higher than yours.[HR][/HR]​
Well, the prokit was just a set of springs. The VW tech guy installed it as he did many times. I believe his work is genuine and I don't know whether I have to worry that my car doesn't have that rake look you are talking about.
It rides fine and handles awesome. I am satisfied so far. But since you mentioned, Do I supposed to get rake look with shocks? but you don't get rake look if you just do springs?

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Re: Going Eibach. Should I go Sportline or ProKit? (TamiyaGuy)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Do you ever have problems with the front mud flaps clipping stuff now that you're lowered?
[HR][/HR]​
Well, I go over bumps really easy and I haven't had any issues yet. But I am sure, If I hit high bumps it will clear the flap for sure. Well, Im ready for it anyway.

·
Registered
668 Posts

i went with prokit b/c i have the oettinger full bumper. didn't want to scape the
bumper everytime i go in/out of a drive way. If i didn't have the bumper i would
definitely go with sportline.

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow
Those pics look great. I think I'm going to go ProKit. The Sportline is a bit too low/stiff for me since this is my daily driver.
Much thanks to all, espescially those sent their pics in.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, the prokit was just a set of springs. The VW tech guy installed it as he did many times. I believe his work is genuine and I don't know whether I have to worry that my car doesn't have that rake look you are talking about.
It rides fine and handles awesome. I am satisfied so far. But since you mentioned, Do I supposed to get rake look with shocks? but you don't get rake look if you just do springs?[HR][/HR]​
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your install. The drop looks great and I wish mine looked like yours. Adding a set of high pressure gas shocks should raise your car .25-.5 inch over what the flabby stock shocks provides. Not a good angle and the parking lot kinda drops where my rear wheel is but this is what mine looks like.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Re: Going Eibach. Should I go Sportline or ProKit? (Autobahn)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, the prokit was just a set of springs. The VW tech guy installed it as he did many times. I believe his work is genuine and I don't know whether I have to worry that my car doesn't have that rake look you are talking about.
It rides fine and handles awesome. I am satisfied so far. But since you mentioned, Do I supposed to get rake look with shocks? but you don't get rake look if you just do springs?
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your install. The drop looks great and I wish mine looked like yours. Adding a set of high pressure gas shocks should raise your car .25-.5 inch over what the flabby stock shocks provides. Not a good angle and the parking lot kinda drops where my rear wheel is but this is what mine looks like.
[HR][/HR]​
Looks like you got rearsway there. Do you have Neuspeed? are they 25? or 28? What difference do you see before and after?
I am thinking of getting 25mm rearsway.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

hehe, you noticed the bar, it's a 28mm bar. I would almost venture to say the rear sway made a bigger difference in handling feel than the spring/shock combo, although I had the installed at the same time so I couldn't tell you exactly what they did on their own. You know the look on your face you get when you first get chipped? Well the rear sway bar has pretty much the same effect on handling. I have mine set at medium and I've never felt it was too stiff. I recommend the 28 over the 25, feels completely neutral although you can the tail to come around at will.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

If you go ProKit, then make sure it's the full kit (matched dampers & anti-roll bars). I've heard great things about it. Ask djsilvera. He has this setup and loves it. If I wasn't able to afford the coilovers I've had for a while, then I would have bought the ProKit setup.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Just got back from Wellesley VW in MA. They just installed my Eibach Pro Kit!
The difference is night and day. Perfect drop!!!!!
Love it!!! Drove from Wellesley to Waltham, about 6miles on I-128. OMG the difference is amazing. Ride feels just as comfortable as stock yet the handling is much more precise and firm.
I do not need more drop than 1.3 since I live near city. This is what I've been missing. Now I understand why people say Suspension before anything.
I give my vote for Eibach Pro Kit!!!! Go for it!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
Definitely get the matched Eibach Pro dampers, too. You'll feel a difference between those and the POS stock shocks. Maybe wait on some other mods and make sure the suspension is right. Gotta have matched springs & shocks -- gives you better handling all around, even though your current setup may seem okay.

[Modified by Max Rebo, 6:14 PM 4-9-2002]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.