VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'll be in Tokyo from the 23rd till the 29th. I wanted to possibly try and spectate a hill/mountain car racing scene or maybe even just a street drifiting scene... Just want to check out what Japanese people do with their cars to push them to their limits.
Is this possible at this time of the year (just thought it might be too cold or something). If it is, where can I go check it out? Is it some sort of a secret underground thing that I'd have to be "in the know" to be able to?
Any pointers? Anybody living in Tokyo on this forum?
thanks!
slim

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Re: Going to Tokyo, can I spectate a hill/mountain car racing scene at this ... (Y2KRICEBOY)

Quote, originally posted by Y2KRICEBOY »
chiba has that crazy ass tunnel that nagata-san did his infamous 200mph run in

Is that the big-ass tunnel that runs underneath Tokyo Bay? Aqua Line or something like that...

I dunno of any websites that would have event information on it, but one thing you could do is find some local tuner shops or parts place when you get there, and ask them. They'll know about local events, and perhaps you'll get invited to some smaller runs as well...

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Re: Going to Tokyo, can I spectate a hill/mountain car racing scene at this ... (SpeedRicer)

Quote, originally posted by SpeedRicer »

I dunno of any websites that would have event information on it, but one thing you could do is find some local tuner shops or parts place when you get there, and ask them. They'll know about local events, and perhaps you'll get invited to some smaller runs as well...

Heh, this method just screams "I'm a cop looking for some front page headline arrests."

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Re: Going to Tokyo, can I spectate a hill/mountain car racing scene at this ... (Reflex5.5)

Quote, originally posted by Reflex5.5 »
Heh, this method just screams "I'm a cop looking for some front page headline arrests."

If you don't drive a neon green Eclipse and aren't trying to bust a stolen goods ring, you'll be fine.

But if you look foreign, no one is going to think you're a Japanese cop.
The shops will still probably give you ideas on legitimate events or where to look, even if they can't/won't give out information on "illegal" activities...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Going to Tokyo, can I spectate a hill/mountain car racing scene at this ... (SpeedRicer)

Hmm.. ask the clerks at tuner shops... that's an idea.... any other thougts?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Re: Going to Tokyo, can I spectate a hill/mountain car racing scene at this ... (djslim)

Well, you could go and try hanging out around Hakone at night.
Take a drive up and look at all the signs descibing splat spots and guardrail express departures. "Rolling" is heavy up there...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Going to Tokyo, can I spectate a hill/mountain car racing scene at this ... (Tom Bombadill)

Is this more like a crab shoot? i.e. I might go up there and nobody might show up?

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Re: Going to Tokyo, can I spectate a hill/mountain car racing scene at this ... (djslim)

Quote, originally posted by djslim »
Is this more like a crab shoot? i.e. I might go up there and nobody might show up?

goto a shop and ask them. Thats what I did in osaka.

·
Premium Member
54,770 Posts
if Initial D has taught me anything... its that after midnight... any hill is a race track

and if Tokyo Xtreme Racer has taught me anything... its that after 1am, the only cars on the road are yellow box vans that say 'official'

·
Registered
345 Posts
Re: (Chapel)

Supposedly they put speed bumps on Mt Haruna (AKA Mt. Akina in Initial D) to stop people from racing. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

But I think Irohozaka and the other roads are still fine...for now. Wait until 4th Stage next year

1 - 14 of 14 Posts