VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After much deliberation I have traded my black w/tan interior 93 corrado for a gold 81 scirocco. My first car purchase was a desert sand 81 scirocco back in 91, so they hold a special place in my heart, and for better or worse got me into vw's. I have been lurking after this car that came my way for some time on the tex. I first saw it posted in Michigan for sale. The low an behold i saw it on an excursion by Chipotle in Elyria, OH at a weekly import met up. I got to look her over. She wasn't to bad. Pretty much bone stock and a bit of bad underside rust. I complemented the current owner on it but he was young and really didn't appreciate her. After having brushed off the dejavu I went about my way.
We fast forward a couple months and a friend sends me a text with a pic of a mutual acquaintance's recent acquisition. Low and behold it's the very same car. I flippantly reply, I would trade my corrado straight up for it. he replys "really?". Realizing I have lost my damn mind affirm the offer. A couple days pass and the owner texts me to confirm, we work a deal out, and at the end of that very day I am the proud owner of another gold 81 scirocco. It was a mutual deal. I was done with vr's and the crappy expensive replacement parts, and he was a bit in over his head on repairs needed for the car. Without further a due.....

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I will try to do my best to chronicle stuff I fix up on it. I'm not sure where I'm gonna go with it as my 80 tdi caddy is getting close, and I would love to start back on my nepal orange 75. Maybe just get her sorted out and reliable for now? We will see. First on the list of things to fix was to attack the vac leaks and damaged/poorly repaired wiring.

WTF?

Wire nut repair.

I'm not sure how he drove this thing over!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Leaky wheel cylinder.

The previous owner had it for only a week or so. He put and exhaust on it. Since the car is on coils that are wound all the way down she is very low. So my guess is he had the clamp turned so it caught on something he bottomed out on and ripped the pipe off of the car, completely destroying it. He gave me the muffler which was a really cool n.o.s. ansa rabbit setup. I ordered a mid pipe to muffler pipe and welded it back together, but unfortunately couldn't save the cool chrome tips. Oh well. I also had to fix the windshield wiper as it sheered off the aluminum rivets that hold the wiper shaft pivot to the support. I just drilled em out and put in nice stainless 6mm bolts. All good.
I have a crap load of parts on order, and seem to be going the way of my truck as have a bucket of parts in to the plater to get yellow zinc plated. I have also a set of dual drilled front hubs and dual drilled the new rear drums. Oh yeah and made some drop plates, and drop caps.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
goldie lives!

English Andy has Leela= gold
I have Landshark= was gold
Sold Goldie Two to Rocc'n green

still a nice color combo= PEARL METALLIC

great luck...:wave:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nice find! I've always wanted a mk1... still haven't found one.

Curious about the "drop caps." These are for the front? More pics?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures of some I have made and sold. I have since started making them with 1/4" plate for the bottom. These are with PSI tuning's mk4 urethane strut bushings. I have also used 034 audi mounts as well. These are similar to what others are making around here. They are about a 2 1/4" drop.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Those aren't gonna fit under a rocco hood! For gods sake don't try, you'll be REALLY pissed off when you slam the hood shut!

And yeah Hal, Randall is custodian of Leela these days!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
glad this went to a good home. i tried to buy this a couple months ago but got stood up by the seller after hour drive :mad:

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Got to try out the Sand Box color. I have found some powders are finicky. You have to heat the part up to prevent small bubbles. This is one of those.

I'm waiting for a few more parts that are being a pain and hope that they are just delayed due to the weather. I have also had a rough time trying to find a new radiator that has the integrated over flow and rubber mount flanges on the bottom. Not the pin mount bottom. Valeo seems to be out of stock. Lame.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts