VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Ive got a 2000 x reg ARZ engine code 1.8t 20v golf gti.

I have had an issue recently with the bloody charge pipe comming from the turbo and pancake pipe.

I have searched the forum and seen a few mods you guys have done but i have put a new pipe on new clip and even a jubliee clamp but the bugger still pops off ?

It blew off and the car wouldnt run and shut off.

The design has a poxy clip that holds the rubber pipe into the charge pipe.

I bought a new one from the dealers and a new clip fitted it and hey presto worked, soon as it had warmed up gave it a bit of boost and it popped off again ?

The old pipe that was removed was worn.

It seems that it could be overboosting im thinking ?

The car is standard and hasnt been chipped/remapped.

Could a faulty Diverter valve cause this or prehaps a wastegate actuator ?

Any help would be apprciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
What's the health of the intercooler? Its sounding like something is plugged or restricted causing access pressure.

Mine as well as most I know are doing 20+ psi with out an issue,

Also, something I did was drill two holes at the clip location and weld the metal sleeve to the discharge pipe.
They're only small rosette welds and I cooled the pipe immediately with a soaked rag so the rubber wouldn't melt.

While your at it, test out the diverter... And possibly bypass the n249.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Hi Guys,

Ive got a 2000 x reg ARZ engine code 1.8t 20v golf gti.

I have had an issue recently with the bloody charge pipe comming from the turbo and pancake pipe.

I have searched the forum and seen a few mods you guys have done but i have put a new pipe on new clip and even a jubliee clamp but the bugger still pops off ?

It blew off and the car wouldnt run and shut off.

The design has a poxy clip that holds the rubber pipe into the charge pipe.

I bought a new one from the dealers and a new clip fitted it and hey presto worked, soon as it had warmed up gave it a bit of boost and it popped off again ?

The old pipe that was removed was worn.

It seems that it could be overboosting im thinking ?

The car is standard and hasnt been chipped/remapped.

Could a faulty Diverter valve cause this or prehaps a wastegate actuator ?

Any help would be apprciated.

Thanks

The best way to keep that thing from blowing off:

Get a brand new seal for the rubber end that slips into the pipe. Soak it in automatic transmission fluid so it swells, and slides into there easily. You will have to work it gently to make sure the seal does not leave it's groove.

Use a 3" stainless steel hoseclamp, and hold the rubber end of hte pipe tight fully inside of the other, then tighten the hose clamp around the ridges. Mine held fine for 30psi on a stock turbo with a cranked wastegate.

·
Registered
371 Posts
same car same problem, ive tried clamping the clip, using a coupler over it. None oof these options worked. Id recomend eithe the eurojet discharge kit or a FMIC (which is what i did) Its extremely frustrating when it blows off because it messes up the entire driving experience, With that hose blown of you will get misfires and bad engine idle. Good luck

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
same car same problem, ive tried clamping the clip, using a coupler over it. None oof these options worked. Id recomend eithe the eurojet discharge kit or a FMIC (which is what i did) Its extremely frustrating when it blows off because it messes up the entire driving experience, With that hose blown of you will get misfires and bad engine idle. Good luck
I ran the clamp for years, the key is you need to clamp both metal ridges with a stainless clamp that has the holes in it, and super tight. I ran that way for a year + 30psi spikes 25 sustained on a k03 through the midrange.

I'll work for reliable cheap and satisfactory, but I guess if that is not doing it open the wallet.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I gave up on the clamp. I tried different variations of your clamp idea, but after repeated popping of the hose i said F'it, im under my car every three days, too much work to go buy o-rings and new clips. Lets get nasty and spend some money. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.