Hello everyone and thanks for looking.

The Problem:
Steering wheel shaking between 60-80mph

Parts Replaced (due to maintenance):

New tires (all around about 1K ago)
Both Cv half axles (front 300miles ago)
Tie Rods (both front 300miles ago)
Ball joints (both front 300miles ago)
Rotors + Brakes (not relevant but 300miles ago)

The above was done due to worn out parts. The shaking is reduced to a vibration but is still noticeable. Any input would be great! Here is a pic of a mk4 on a college students budget...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the thing is that I got my wheels balanced about two months ago and the problem didn't go away and I live in Florida and the roads are pothole free and I don't jump curbs so bent rims are out of the question as well. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Well the thing is that I got my wheels balanced about two months ago and the problem didn't go away and I live in Florida and the roads are pothole free and I don't jump curbs so bent rims are out of the question as well. Any other ideas?
I wouldn't say bent wheels are out of the question. Have you checked them thoroughly?
Sometimes the wheel weights fall off. While your out checking to make 100% sure the wheels are not bent, check and see if there are any spots where the weights once were, but may have fallen off.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The pics don't look like you have a staggered setup. Try rotating front to back and see if that changes anything. I had a set of wheels on a car one time and 2 were bent slightly and I put them on the back and it was much more tollerable

·
Registered
808 Posts
  • alignment.
  • check suspension struts and springs for weakness or bends
  • replace strut mounting hardware.
  • bent tie rods control arms etc.
  • bends/cracks in wheels.
  • non balanced wheels and tires.
  • worn torn bushings.
  • bad wheel hub bad bearings.
  • rotors warped.
  • emergency brake line rusted engaged/sticking.

can't pinpoint without driving your car

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yeah they are 8.5in all around so ill do that this weekend. Also, what is a separated tire? I got fresh tread put on all fours about 1k ago. :beer:
Happens when the metal in the tire separates from the tread, no wobble at low speeds but at 60+mph it causes a shake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.