VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Gonna do my first oil/filter change on my 00 GOlf, and I want to make sure am gonna do it right the first time!
Anyhoo, I got the Bently CD, not helping much unless I'm missing something in there. Usually you remove the oil cap, remove the drain plug, empty oil, remove oil filter, oil spanking new oil filter then install it, install drain plug with new washer, pour new oil in, and voilà!
How does it sound so far?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Re: Golf 2.0L Oil/Filter Change (S-VW-J)

Quote, originally posted by S-VW-J »
Hey,
Gonna do my first oil/filter change on my 00 GOlf, and I want to make sure am gonna do it right the first time!
Anyhoo, I got the Bently CD, not helping much unless I'm missing something in there. Usually you remove the oil cap, remove the drain plug, empty oil, remove oil filter, oil spanking new oil filter then install it, install drain plug with new washer, pour new oil in, and voilà!
How does it sound so far?

Cheers

exactly, very easy to change your own oil..things to remember:
1) I usually use a hydraulic lift on the passenger front side of the car.
make sure you have kind of safety jack or something for extra measure.
2) The boltt when under the car from the front. i think is a size 21mm or something close to that. When your on your back under the car, (which i usually only need an arm or so, because i don't usually like being under a lifted car) the bolt will go from your left to right. counter clockwise.
3) the oil filter is a pain to remove, especially if u don't have the right tools, and if the oil change has been done by a dealership or so, its usually screwed on so tight its almost impossible to remove, but it turns when looking down on top of the engine compartment, COUNTER CLOCKWISE....i usually put some kind of rags under the tubing that runs under the filter, because when u remove it some oil will drip down. so make sure u have an oil pan ready to catch the oil. Some people would like to remove the bumper gaurd underneath.
4) replace filter, when replacing the oil filter its good to lube the seal with some fresh oil and the stuff, just makes life easier next time. screw it on just HAND TIGHT, any tighter and you will regret it later. (unless you have the right tool size for the oil filter, even then its a pain)
5) placing back on the bolt, drop car, and add oil. simple as that.
good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

thanks for the reply jb http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Should I expect any lights to come up as I start the car after the change?
What kind of filter do you use? I'm getting a Bosch...

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

You've got it right. here are a few tips.
You have to remove the plastic shield on the bottom of the engine. You need a T20 Torx screwdriver or T20 bit. 4 screws to remove, pretty easy process.
Definitely get yourself a Oil Filter wrench that lets you adjust the angle of the handle otherwise you'll never get the thing off. It's way up there and there's not much room to move around.
Hmm, that's it. What kind of oil are you using? How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

Quote, originally posted by S-VW-J »
thanks for the reply jb http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Should I expect any lights to come up as I start the car after the change?
What kind of filter do you use? I'm getting a Bosch...

I use PureOne Puralator L20252 is the size. I just changed my oil on friday. And been using 5w30 for higher mileage cars Valvoline, before that I had always used Mobil 1 Synthetic, but my car is i think beginning to eat oil!!!!! so i switched back.

BTW, NO Lights should come on!!!! After its done, start your engine take it on cruise, and feel the difference....

Modified by jbrandon at 1:56 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Golf 2.0L Oil/Filter Change (gravitymachine)

Thanks for the heads up. Yeap wrench is on order.
I'm thinking of Mobile 1 5W30 or 10W40 if they have that!
The milage is pretty high for a 00 I think. about 64k.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

I use the Purolator filter also. Very good filter, no complaints. Bosch would be qa good choice, too. They make the OEM one.

I switched to Synthetic 5w-30 oil at 50,000 Miles - no leaks, drips or issues to speak of. I'm using mobil1 0w-40 right now and the car runs nice and smooth.
5W-30 or 40, 10w-30. Anything you go with is pretty much fine. VW suggests 5w-40 oil form the factory, but when the delaership was still changing my oil they used 10w-30. it's no big deal really, jstu use oil that's suitable to where you live.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Re: Golf 2.0L Oil/Filter Change (gravitymachine)

Quote, originally posted by gravitymachine »
I use the Purolator filter also. Very good filter, no complaints. Bosch would be qa good choice, too. They make the OEM one.

I switched to Synthetic 5w-30 oil at 50,000 Miles - no leaks, drips or issues to speak of. I'm using mobil1 0w-40 right now and the car runs nice and smooth.
5W-30 or 40, 10w-30. Anything you go with is pretty much fine. VW suggests 5w-40 oil form the factory, but when the delaership was still changing my oil they used 10w-30. it's no big deal really, jstu use oil that's suitable to where you live.

so i had a question, right i think for the life of my car I have always used 5w30 because thats what i was told my car's engine started out with and what to use. But then i have been reading and all these people are saying that you use 5w40??? Is it just for cars >2002, becuase i have a '99. just wondering..

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: Golf 2.0L Oil/Filter Change (jbrandon)

5W-40 was recommended in US owners manuals since 2001, possibly before. Check your owner's manual.
The following should be commonly available in 5W-40 in the US:
Mobil 1 Truck and SUV
Shell Rotella T Synthetic
Valvoline Synpower
Castrol Syntec (VW dealer only)
Canadians may have slightly different choices.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Re: Golf 2.0L Oil/Filter Change (tjl)

I would like to chime in and add 3 comments:
1. Convert to synthetic... You will love it!
2. Stick to OEM filters... You will benefit in a long run!
3. Install FRAM SureDrain system... It is cheap and will make any future oil changes a breeze!
more info here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1330159
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Re: Golf 2.0L Oil/Filter Change (jbrandon)

A couple things to know.
1. its easy.
2. you have to remove the spash sheild. There are 4 torx T-25 screws
3. The drain plug is 19mm NOT 22mm.
4. Get a new washer when you replace the draind plug, and torque to 22 ft/lbs
5. Since you have a 2L you want the adjustable oil wrench NOT a strap wrench. Those are modtly used on 1.8T Passats.
6. When changing your filter lube the gasket on the filet with oil, old or new it doesn't matter. BTW the dealer doesn't put them on tight, its just because of the pressure in the system.
7.. Hand tighten only on the filter.
8. I can't beleive I just typed this.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Re: Golf 2.0L Oil/Filter Change (CorradoG60)

I forgot to add the you might need a pair of ***** to cut the washer off the drain plug

·
Registered
614 Posts

Quote, originally posted by CorradoG60 »

BTW the dealer doesn't put them on tight, its just because of the pressure in the system.

what do you mean by pressure in the system? there is no pressure. i did my first oil change at 8000 kms and let me tell ya it was on friggin TIGHT! when i finally got it off i looked at the oil seal on the filter and noticed there was no film of oil on it. i don't think the factory puts a film of oil on that seal.

·
Registered
614 Posts

I forgot to add the you might need a pair of ***** to cut the washer off the drain plug

that washer is re-usable. unless you want to buy a new drain plug and washer.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Re: Golf 2.0L Oil/Filter Change (VW Golf IV)

Quote, originally posted by VW Golf IV »

that washer is re-usable. unless you want to buy a new drain plug and washer.

This is where the SureDRAIN comes into play! Check it out!

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Re: Golf 2.0L Oil/Filter Change (VW Golf IV)

Quote, originally posted by VW Golf IV »
what do you mean by pressure in the system? there is no pressure. i did my first oil change at 8000 kms and let me tell ya it was on friggin TIGHT! when i finally got it off i looked at the oil seal on the filter and noticed there was no film of oil on it. i don't think the factory puts a film of oil on that seal.

So how does you car run? How come companies make OIL PRESSURE guages? How come when you have no oil pressure your engine seizes. How many MILES is 8000KM? About 5000 miles right. The reason the filter was tight is because it always is on the 1st change. You are always supposed to put oil on the gasket once the first filter is off. And NO the washer is NOT reusable. I work on VWs for a living, so I think I know what I'm talking about here. If you can perform an oil change then you shouldn't even work on your own car.

·
Registered
614 Posts

So how does you car run? How come companies make OIL PRESSURE guages? How come when you have no oil pressure your engine seizes. How many MILES is 8000KM? About 5000 miles right. The reason the filter was tight is because it always is on the 1st change. You are always supposed to put oil on the gasket once the first filter is off. And NO the washer is NOT reusable. I work on VWs for a living, so I think I know what I'm talking about here. If you can perform an oil change then you shouldn't even work on your own car.

you have to learn to read english! read my post again.
of course theres oil pressure in the system, only when the car is running. so are you saying there is residual pressure in the system? enough to give you a fukkin hard time to remove the filter? there is no pressure in the system when the car is not running
i know you're supposed to put oil on the seal, i'm just stating my observation.
you are contradicting yourself: you said its tight because its the first oil change, i agree with you, then you said its tight because of the pressure in the system, disagree with you.
yes, the washer is re-usable according to the vw dealership mechanic. maybe there's some confusion here, i'm refering to my 2003 golf so the washer might be different.
btw when i was driving and doing my own oil changes on the rocco you were still wearing diapers.

Modified by VW Golf IV at 10:42 AM 5-19-2004

1 - 20 of 30 Posts