VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 655 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 MIB II infotainment System on an 2015 GTI

I have a 2015 GTI Autobahn with the MIB I Infotainment System. Can anyone please tell me at this time if I will will be able to buy an MIB II infotainment System and install it on my 2015 VW GTI? Thank you.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
A lot of folks with 2015s are willing to do this.

My girlfriend just signed for a 2016 Jetta. The MIB II was a 400$ option... 3000$ seems unreal.

Aftermarket solutions are beginning to show, but personally it needs to have CarPlay/Android Auto.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dealer is replacing my MiB II module because its toast, still waiting on a Eta for the part so I think it is still direct from mfg only. BTW mfg is Harman Becker auto systems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts

My girlfriend just signed for a 2016 Jetta. The MIB II was a 400$ option... 3000$ seems unreal.

Aftermarket solutions are beginning to show, but personally it needs to have CarPlay/Android Auto.
MIBII is standard on all 2016 VWs... I think your dealer took an extra $400 from you in profit

·
Registered
174 Posts

retrofits are always more expensive

·
Registered
228 Posts
retrofits are always more expensive
I know, but 3000$ is too much. Anyway, I definitively want the MIB II in my '15 GTI, subscribed to this thread. I will be checking with my dealers and other dealers nearby as 2016 models arrive.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hrom my perspective, I am waiting for someone to retrofit it successfully and do a hell of a job documenting it or I am waiting for something like the si electronic screen replacement with andrioid auto

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm really interested in knowing how to upgrade to MIB II as well. My buddy just got a 2016 Jetta and it's so much better. The interface is a lot smoother, higher res and CarPlay is just plain awesome. I hope there's a simple fix for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ive been doing some research on figuring out the MIB II retrofit. I found that the 2016 E golf has the 8" screen with the Discover pro. This is good in the sense that we can get these parts over the shelf because they are offered in a US model. I figured that if Im going to do this retrofit I want the best system with the biggest screen. According to the PR codes these are the part numbers for the Screen and control unit.

3G0 035 026 Control unit
5G0 919 606 B Display unit

These parts aren't cheap. They come to about $2,400 where you get them. The big question I had was are these parts going to work in the 2015 models? I really didn't think too much would change from just one model year but I really wanted to know before dropping that kind of money. I am a vw technician and I was lucky enough to get some questions about the retrofit answered. It turns out that the MIB II was retrofitted into some 2015 MK7s for testing. It turns out that this was a big project, which involved work arounds for the component protection that is built into the infotainment modules. I was also told that once these cars were hooked up to the Volkswagen factory scan tool ODIS that the server in Germany locked down various modules in the car.

With the MK7 VW is more widely using component protection. Basically when any module with this protection is replaced it has to be coded to the car with the factory scan tool to allow it to communicate and function with the rest of the car. For what ever reason it sounds like the 15s and the MIBII equipment don't mate together without causing more issues.

This information was enough to scare me away from being the guinea pig for this retrofit. It doesn't sound like its a plug and play solution.I think eventually with the help of some software hacking this retrofit may be possible. There are some pretty talented people who work on this kind of stuff in Europe but with the MK7 platform bringing a lot of new technology I'm not sure if or when it'll happen.

http://www.abrites.com/products/avdi
http://avdi-forum.de/
Wow thanks! Not looking good for us..

Have you looked into the Sintegrate head unit? There is a long thread on it on the MKVII R forum.
This would be the perfect solution IF it had CarPlay/Android Auto, which is the main reason why I (and many others) want the MIB II.

·
Banned
21,195 Posts
To be honest the 2nd gen screen isn't worth the money to upgrade, it's not much better than gen 1. If you are going to spend money try retrofitting the 8"

·
Registered
18 Posts
To be honest the 2nd gen screen isn't worth the money to upgrade, it's not much better than gen 1. If you are going to spend money try retrofitting the 8"
I think the interest is more with the functionality of Android Auto and CarPlay than the screen change. At least that was why I am interested in the upgrade. Doesn't seem like this is going to be a viable option though :mad:

·
Registered
577 Posts
There is MIB I 8" screens, as this was available in the EU since 2012.

1 - 20 of 655 Posts