VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

221 - 240 of 655 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
So what did you do with the "B" screen?
Also did you have any issues with the sound?
I'm going to take the B screen back to VW. I learned just yesterday that there may be a bad batch of 'B' screens in circulation. If this is true I may not have had a compatibility issue after all......

There were no issues with sound, and there shouldn't be with just a screen swap, the screen is only for display and input purposes, the brains are in a separate unit.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'm going to take the B screen back to VW. I learned just yesterday that there may be a bad batch of 'B' screens in circulation. If this is true I may not have had a compatibility issue after all......

There were no issues with sound, and there shouldn't be with just a screen swap, the screen is only for display and input purposes, the brains are in a separate unit.
Where did you hear about the bad batch?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Where did you hear about the bad batch?
One of those "I know a guy who knows a guy...." scenarios.

Supposedly from someone who has friends that work at VW. I don't know whether that means at a dealership or corporate level or what. I have no way of corroborating this info.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
One of those "I know a guy who knows a guy...." scenarios.

Supposedly from someone who has friends that work at VW. I don't know whether that means at a dealership or corporate level or what. I have no way of corroborating this info.
Bad batch kinda makes sense based on symptoms.. hopefully they give you a refund or at least credit for the defective screen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone!

A question for those who did the retrofit already; from mib1 to mib2 like Paul...
Did you experience any issues with Android auto and Apple carplay "activation"?
I saw that user SartoGTI had problems, and not sure if it was solved at the end?

Is newer version of the usb, and that part of coding which Paul mentioned, enough to get it going?

Thanks.;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
The usb socket i have posted is correct now i have retrofitted to a discover pro MIB 2 and now the usb WORK With CarPlay, correctly coded of course ( 1 byte need to be modified)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Sarto for confirming this.
I just saw, that in the beginning you didn't retrofit the Discover Pro, you tried on the original Composition Media...

Thank you again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Correct, First step i mount only the usb socket and code it, nothing work, i thinked that the problem is the cable, or something other, NO
i have mounted the discover pro unit and display ( without chance any cable or other) and the usb work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MIB 2 Retrofit Head Unit Question

I'm hoping some more experienced users can help me with my retrofit from an MIB 1 system to an MIB 2 system.

I currently have a 2015 Golf SEL that came with a MIB 1 system that I believe to be considered "Discover Media". The part number is 5G0 035 876
My current setup has the Fender audio system as well, meaning I have the under the seat amp (P/N: 5G0 035 456)

In preparation for the retrofit, and based on my very deep investigation across all kinds of VW forms I have already purchased the new USB/Aux modules to replace the MDI connector.

In addition I purchased the updated amplifier (P/N: 5Q0 035 456) and had a local shop here remove component protection.

Now, all I believe I need to change is the head unit and display... and that is where I am lost. I am fairly certain the display I need is P/N: 5G0919606 , but as far as the head unit I have seen so many possibilities of part numbers I have no I idea which one I need.

I found this unit on eBay (with component protection removed) but I am concerned about it being the right one for me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNLOCKED-Di...ash=item2ef7af0f06:g:Cv8AAOSwn7JYCRyl&vxp=mtr

I am unsure if these units are locked down to certain world regions or if they can be used and just need coding changes. I saw another post on a form in response to a user asking if this unit could be used in Canada and another user responded that the firmware determines if it can be used in your region. Does that mean that I could have a local shop flash new firmware?

If anyone has some good knowledge of this could help me I would be forever grateful!!
My main 2 questions are:
- What is the part number of the MIB 2 system I need in the U.S. for a Discover Pro with Nav, App Connect, and Sirus that works with my Fender audio.
- In addition to a specific part number, do I need to ensure it has a specific firmware on it to work in my region, or can a local shop update/change the firmware?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question for those, who made the retrofit already; about the navi maps update.

I have successfully retrofited from mib1 composition media to mib2 discover pro. Exactly the same situation like Paul...
Now, since this unit is "cracked" - removed component protection, can I do normal navigation maps update? They are free to update from VW (download and update via sd card)
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...nFrame_campaign_light&Page=VW_Europe_Pro_Golf

THANKS! :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
The wiring looks not OEM but this sounds promising how does the connection work with USB then on an iPhone?
The jacks are real VW parts. I am not here to argue about who makes the wire...besides VW does not manufacture wire anyway. You cannot buy this wiring separately from VW. I know because I tried. The only way to get these exact wires is to buy a dash wiring harness which will cost zillions more than this....and good luck installing it.

The wire, terminals, connectors, and the covering sold here are identical to the VW factory wiring in my car. I have it, it plugs right in and works.

This 'kit' allows anyone with an MIB1 Media jack to easily convert it to a MIB2 USB/AUX jack. The functionality with an iPhone, or Android phone, is subject to the software in your Media unit which should be MIB2 obviously.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ve successifull retrofitted my 2016 GTI wIth a 2016 MIB 2 discover pro (like my previous message)
Now i did the same thing with a golf of my friend
All is working, maps, appconect etc, but we dont have the CAR-NET Icon in the menu, no carnet appear....
Same Hw code of my discover pro
Same coding
Is something to acetivate in the adaptation??
Thanks

·
Registered
886 Posts
I ve successifull retrofitted my 2016 GTI wIth a 2016 MIB 2 discover pro (like my previous message)
Now i did the same thing with a golf of my friend
All is working, maps, appconect etc, but we dont have the CAR-NET Icon in the menu, no carnet appear....
Same Hw code of my discover pro
Same coding
Is something to acetivate in the adaptation??
Sarto, I suggest you contact APG in Poland. They may be able to help you. Try leaving a message for them to contact you here...then tell us if you get it working.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks
Some carnet services works without pay, like: traffic, wheather, news and google maps / street view
With a mobile Phone that share internet connection

My is working fine

221 - 240 of 655 Posts