VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 395 Posts
Read my entire post before commenting. I was talking about a lot of the automated driving features being deemed dangerous, and thus will not make it to our market. Our roads are not like in Europe, and if the car on a German test drive decides to almost crash into oncoming traffic, due to the lack of a centerline, you bet your ass off that we will not get that feature here. Why do you think USA VW’s and Audi’s are missing the autonomous parking feature already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did read the entire post and you used the words “new technology,” which is very generic. Anyways, I don’t think this will be an issue. Tons of manufacturers have already implemented semi-autonomous technology into their cars. Volvo has Pilot Assist, Cadillac has Supercruise, Tesla has autopilot, etc. When issues like you mentioned occur they’re almost always fixed with a simple software update. This shouldn’t be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't Hyundai have the parking feature where you aren't even in your car? Thats a lot of risk/liability to take on. At least if I am in the car I have the option to put my foot on the brake or control the steering wheel.

I think the technology is constantly evolving and getting better and better. As I mentioned in a previous post, we have a Volvo which is all touchscreen minus a volume knob. In the beginning it was a little cumbersome, but we quickly adapted. I think that is the problem with all these quick reviews, people are running into. They are not spending enough time with it to learn the system and adapt. The amount of vehicles that this is going to apply to, I have to imagine that VW did some thorough testing and decision making before bringing it out to to the public. I mean I would think a simple knob is going to be cheaper to make then a touch slider and the coding that would have to go into it, but maybe I am wrong.

Again back to the touchscreen, how often are you really adjusting things? I set the temp and if its auto, it does its own thing. VW said it was going to be a car that is connected. So maybe it has remote start to allow you to warm/cool the car before you get there. For music, personally, I set myself up with Spotify, or whatever is on my phone that I want to listen to, and will adjust via the wheel controls once I am moving. I don't see the general public fussing around that much once they are driving.

....Again back to the touchscreen, how often are you really adjusting things? I set the temp and if its auto, it does its own thing. VW said it was going to be a car that is connected. So maybe it has remote start to allow you to warm/cool the car before you get there. For music, personally, I set myself up with Spotify, or whatever is on my phone that I want to listen to, and will adjust via the wheel controls once I am moving. I don't see the general public fussing around that much once they are driving.
And many of the functions will be select-able from the SW controls.

Touch screens have nothing to do with technology, we simply see more of them now for the following reasons:
(same for gauge clusters)

1) Cheaper than actually providing hard switch gear/dials. If manufactures could put power windows, mirrors, wipers, door locks in them - they would - and might lobby just that.
2) Getting ready for all electric - less physical wiring, less current/voltage used, less wiring complexity.
(above same for the shifter to shaver junk)
3) Average Joe perceives touch screens as "high-tech" no matter if they are user friendly or not,....and fall for them. It's the kewl tappy, touchy, swipey picture thingies syndrome..... :rolleyes:
Most younger drivers grew up on touch screens - buttons are alien to them :p

It's certainly NOT safer,....I can adjust many things now (mainly AC) without taking my eyes off the road and a volume knob is still worth its weight in gold.

The 7/7.5 was really a good mix of buttons and screens - optimum IMO, very good looking, integrated and functional.

Like most I may go look at a v8 R, but the rest of it will have to be fantastic to overlook the other shortcomings.

You do have a point. Touch screens do not equate to something being high tech. However, many manufacturers are quickly getting rid of physical controls moving them into infotainment displays. For me, it's not something I mind. I'm all for it. It clears up clutter and makes the interior feel much cleaner. I don't understand people getting so worked up over touchscreens.

When I'm driving I'm not fiddling with the AC for the majority of the ride. I set my temp at the beginning and I'm on my way. Although I really don't even find it hard to adjust the temp, fan speed or zone while on the move in the XC90. It's not difficult the controls are big.

I'm not crazy about the exterior looks of the new mk8 but love the interior. It's got me considering the GTI for my next car.

I think the technology is constantly evolving and getting better and better. As I mentioned in a previous post, we have a Volvo which is all touchscreen minus a volume knob. In the beginning it was a little cumbersome, but we quickly adapted. I think that is the problem with all these quick reviews, people are running into. They are not spending enough time with it to learn the system and adapt.
As much as I wanted to hate the new Golf R interior, and I did, the all touch screen design is really not all that bad. Like you, we just took delivery of a Volvo XC40 (my wife's new car) and after driving about 1200miles in the last week, I have to say that once you get used to that and the LCD gauge cluster, it's really nice.

I may consider a MkVIII Golf R for my next car provided it comes with a 6 or 7spd MT... If not, I'll probably go for a Tesla Model 3 Performance, but at least I'm not totally turned off by the "Infotainment Screen" controls now.

JB

I don't think people would have as big of a problem with the touchscreens, as long as the menu's or getting to certain controls are easily accessible. The few video's I have seen, the journalists all complain that to get to something, its one or two layers deep in the system. I know VW has said that you are supposed to use voice command, but Siri doesn't always get things correct, and that's with a virtual assistant that has had 9 years of learning.

Thomas's quote in this Autogefühl video about the Golf 8 says it all, 'Before it was one of the most simple to use interfaces, but now it is the most complicated.'
The more I see this and evaluate it against my present Mk7.5 which is just about perfect- I'm saddened. I had such high hopes for purchasing a new R (now finally with a sunroof)....but I will probably keep my 2018 GTI longer now and see what may happen with a mk8.5. I don't hold out much hopes as it's just cheaper to do this with screens today and people are just snake fancied by them. Technology is supposed to make life easier and safer, this just doesn't do it for me. Will still wait to see it in the flesh though.

Unfortunately, touch screens will soon be state-of-the-art and ubiquitous. See, for example, the forthcoming Mercedes S class (at 6:50 et seq). Not a knob in sight. https://www.motor1.com/news/441999/2021-mercedes-benz-s-class/
IMO Modern MBs are just so ugly on the outside (I compare them to a squeezed turd) - I wouldn't even dare to look on the inside. This one is no different - what an ugly integration of screens - the dash panel especially, doesn't look state of the art, just tacked on ugly and cheap - no integration, just a screen mounted. At least it has air vents that will keep the top of your head cool :screwy:

IMO Modern MBs are just so ugly on the outside (I compare them to a squeezed turd) - I wouldn't even dare to look on the inside. This one is no different - what an ugly integration of screens - the dash panel especially, doesn't look state of the art, just tacked on ugly and cheap - no integration, just a screen mounted. At least it has air vents that will keep the top of your head cool :screwy:
So, you think MB does no research on what their customers want or like? Really? You must never been involved with product development.

The more I see this and evaluate it against my present Mk7.5 which is just about perfect- I'm saddened. I had such high hopes for purchasing a new R (now finally with a sunroof)....but I will probably keep my 2018 GTI longer now and see what may happen with a mk8.5. I don't hold out much hopes as it's just cheaper to do this with screens today and people are just snake fancied by them. Technology is supposed to make life easier and safer, this just doesn't do it for me. Will still wait to see it in the flesh though.
Yes, I'm with you there. I was waiting for the Golf R with a sunroof. After seeing what it will be....I'm so disappointed that I sold my 2017 GTI to get another 2019 GTI. Interior/exterior just plain suck from looking at the MK 8 GTI. And what's up with the ugly hood stand? Bring back that Golf R 400 that they were working on with a sunroof and I will be all over fine machine.

Yes, I'm with you there. I was waiting for the Golf R with a sunroof. After seeing what it will be....I'm so disappointed that I sold my 2017 GTI to get another 2019 GTI. Interior/exterior just plain suck from looking at the MK 8 GTI. And what's up with the ugly hood stand? Bring back that Golf R 400 that they were working on with a sunroof and I will be all over fine machine.
I gave up on the Mk8 and replaced my Mk7 GTI with a Mercedes A250 hatch. It has a digital dash too, but it also has real buttons for redundancy.

I gave up on the Mk8 and replaced my Mk7 GTI with a Mercedes A250 hatch. It has a digital dash too, but it also has real buttons for redundancy.
That seems kind of hypocritical when we don’t even know exactly how the 2022 Golf 8 R interior/infotainment system will be for North America.

If you want a performance hatchback in the US with AWD and manual transmission there is no option other than the Golf R.

The hood stand is for pedestrian safety. My 2013 American Made Passat TDI had one too. If you look it up in the case of an engine fire the gas in the hood struts heat up and shoot the metal bar out. Firefighters and first responders have been injured because of it.

That seems kind of hypocritical when we don’t even know exactly how the 2022 Golf 8 R interior/infotainment system will be for North America.

If you want a performance hatchback in the US with AWD and manual transmission there is no option other than the Golf R.
The infotainment will be the same as it is in all of the MK8 models. They may speed-up the software but they won't add any buttons.

41 - 60 of 395 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.