VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
This is an interesting in-between MK7.5 and MK8 dashboard for a Golf. I think I could live without the exterior color match thing, but the rest looks like it would have been nice for the new cars. Mostly it kept the MK7.5 equipment, but moved the center screen up and the vents down.

·
Registered
532 Posts
As a Tesla Model S owner and a Sportwagen owner, I can say for sure that the touch screen UI on the Tesla is not as convenient, nor as safe as the traditional interface in the Mark 7 Golf. Take for example the garage door opener. On my the VW, I can just feel it under my mirror and bingo. With the Tesla, I have to wait for the garage door icon to appear (it senses when I am close to the house), I then need to take my eyes off the road so that I dont miss icon on the touch screen. I actually had an accident once in very rainy weather at night where I ran over the kerb rather than into my driveway, as I momentarily looked away from the road while I was turning and attempting to press the garage door soft key. Yeah, it was my fault for driving a bit too fast, but on my VW, I would have had my eyes on the road all the time, so this would not have happened. The new touch based UI on the Mk 8 is horrible imo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of the major things VW USED to have going for it was they still had hard buttons for many functions like heated seats etc and the twist knobs rather than cheaping out and putting it all on the touchscreen the way many other brands did. Now, at a time when Kia and Hyundai and upping their game dramatically and making sure their hot new vehicles still have hard buttons, VW totally misreads the moment and decides to eliminate virtually everything for the touch screen. You've also got grands like Mazda that arguably compete with VW and seem to be judging better and keeping the hard buttons. Disappointing.
I agree! The new Hyundai’s are such a success having Germans design and fine tune the dynamics, all while keeping sensible buttons amd knobs! One thing I do like very much is thegauge display and the shape of the week, but not the haptic gloss black button panel.. I’m sure the car will perform well but I will reserve my money for a mk 8.5 to see if they right their wrongs

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
This is an interesting in-between MK7.5 and MK8 dashboard for a Golf. I think I could live without the exterior color match thing, but the rest looks like it would have been nice for the new cars. Mostly it kept the MK7.5 equipment, but moved the center screen up and the vents down.

That looks very similar to the MK7 Jetta interior. A good blend between MK7 and MK8

·
Registered
879 Posts
^^Wow, you're right! I love the new GTI and R, but I think it's a shame they didn't go with that new Jetta dash and other controls. The GTI and R would have been perfect!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Read a road test on the new MK8, and in the comments someone who had driven one made the point that if you get behind a stinky diesel (as I often do), in a normal car you would just hit the recirc button to block out the fumes. But, in the MK8, you have to go through the menu to get to the recirc setting! By then you're sucking in diesel carcinogens. It is my main complaint about some of the new tech -- it's the opposite of progress if you're making simple functions harder to perform. Some functions need to be instantaneous and ideally, by feel, which the touch-screen rules out in some cases. Make it user-friendly or I'm not interested.

While I prefer the conventional dash in my MK7.5, I'm not reflexively hating the new dash design -- as a design, that is. As a functional thing I have no doubt I'd have some serious issues with it. I just think some of the new designers chase the 'wow-factor' at the expense of rational design.
For me, driving is a visceral, visual thing. I do not want to drive a computer. I am at one all day. I need to feel and touch things. This is why we do things like swap out shift knobs or steering wheels for ones with more heft or feel. I like to drive as we all do. I am not in the market for a self driving car..... I ride one every day.... it's called the NYC subway! So, IMHO, VW has strayed way too far off the mark on this. It is not even attractive, c'mon, basically a bloody I-pad for a dash??.... no soul..... (my other car is a '96 911.... we're talking visceral....)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just thought I would bring this back to light a little.... I got a loaner 2021 Arteon today, and the interior is very much all touchscreen. There are a couple knobs (volumn and a menu (?)). Otherwise the steering wheel appears to be identical or very similar to the GTI/R that will be coming our way hopefully later this year. It has both touch and haptic feedback. HVAC controls are also touch down in the middle.

Overall it wasn't as bad as I would have thought. Granted I think I am one of the few that might be a little more used to the touchscreen style controls due to other vehicles that we own. That being said, I can see it taking a few drives to really get the sense of where the buttons are located and what each does. I am coming from a MK6, so I don't have all the assistance controls that newer models have and those were on the steering wheel. So it was a little confusing at times. But the indentations or feel is good. I think with a couple drives or more seat-time, one would get a sense of where things are.

The volume control on the steering wheel can either have your thumb slide left-right to raise-lower volume, or you can push each side to raise or lower the volume. Is it as quick or as easy to spin a knob... no, but it wasn't bad for the little bit I drove it this morning.

HVAC I essentially put it in Auto and let it do its own thing. Sliding the temp one way or another wasn't a big deal, but I also did that while at a stop light. Not sure how comfortable I would feel adjusting it while driving. But, I think you are also supposed to be able to control that with your voice. I didn't try it (yet), but might try it this afternoon. Again, I am more of a set it and forget it kind of guy.

The Arteon has wireless charging and wireless apple car-play. Both worked very well. Again my MK6 doesn't have those features, so it is more impressive to me. Even our new Volvo doesn't have the wireless car-play or wireless charging.

Dashboard seems similar and I liked how you can have the different views. Really like the full view of the navigation with the speed and gear selection along the bottom. Felt very Audi-like, but with out the Google satellite view. I think the GTI/R will have more "race" inspired views, but overall a nice feel.

I will have the car for the remainder of the afternoon and maybe overnight depending on length of meetings this afternoon. Ask questions and I can try and answer them while I have the car. Even though it's not the same thing, I think it is a good stepping stone towards what the GTI/R will bring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Would you say the haptic feedbacks from the steering controls similar to a hard press on an iPhone?
Does wireless Carplay sync up automatically or do you need to fiddle around to get it working each time you get in the car?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Would you say the haptic feedbacks from the steering controls similar to a hard press on an iPhone?
Does wireless Carplay sync up automatically or do you need to fiddle around to get it working each time you get in the car?
Haptic feedback is stronger feedback on the steering wheel than what you got on your iPhone.

CarPlay is automatic when I get in the car

·
Registered
35 Posts
Haptic feedback is stronger feedback on the steering wheel than what you got on your iPhone.

CarPlay is automatic when I get in the car
Cool, thanks!
is there a way to mute audio or turn off the audio system with a power 'button' or you just have to slide to lower the volume down?
Does it have a heated steering wheel? Are there multiple levels of heat?

If you get a chance to try the Adaptive Cruise Control can you test how it follows a lead car and slows/stops and if it holds the car at a stop without pedal input?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cool, thanks!
is there a way to mute audio or turn off the audio system with a power 'button' or you just have to slide to lower the volume down?
Does it have a heated steering wheel? Are there multiple levels of heat?

If you get a chance to try the Adaptive Cruise Control can you test how it follows a lead car and slows/stops and if it holds the car at a stop without pedal input?
Not sure on the mute audio. Since it has a knob, I will assume that if one were to push the knob it turns off. Not sure how that will work on a system that doesn't have a knob. I might try pushing and holding the "lower volume" side of the button and see what happens. I know if I hold the cold side of the HVAC it will go all the way down to low. Same on the hot side, if you hold the hot side, it will go to max heat.

It does have a heated steering wheel that has 3 levels of heat. I have not tried how hot it gets. This car also has heated and cooled seats. Can't remember if the cooled seats are an option for the GTI/R.

Adaptive cruise - I have tested on an Atlas, and was very impressed. It was able to stop on its own and adjusted nicely to vehicles in front. That was a couple years ago. I am sure the system has gotten better. Should be able to test it out this afternoon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure on the mute audio. Since it has a knob, I will assume that if one were to push the knob it turns off. Not sure how that will work on a system that doesn't have a knob. I might try pushing and holding the "lower volume" side of the button and see what happens. I know if I hold the cold side of the HVAC it will go all the way down to low. Same on the hot side, if you hold the hot side, it will go to max heat.

It does have a heated steering wheel that has 3 levels of heat. I have not tried how hot it gets. This car also has heated and cooled seats. Can't remember if the cooled seats are an option for the GTI/R.

Adaptive cruise - I have tested on an Atlas, and was very impressed. It was able to stop on its own and adjusted nicely to vehicles in front. That was a couple years ago. I am sure the system has gotten better. Should be able to test it out this afternoon.
thanks for humoring me with answering my questions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No problem. Quick drive resulted in no easy way (on this steering wheel) to mute the sound. If I press the volume knob it will turn off. Otherwise its multiple swipes to the left to lower the volume.
Thanks for trying it out. I found this image of the '22 R main screen and there looks to be a power 'button' on the left so maybe that turns off audio to act as mute like the knob in the Arteon?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I finally made an account after being a fly on the wall for a few months. A little background, my wife and I are 26 (This is relevant to this topic) and I currently have a 15 6spd S4 and we just got her a 21' GTI SE DSG. Okay.. so I drive 25k miles a year and we have been looking for a third car to dump miles on that is not a manual. We are set on the MK8 R and then selling the S4 and getting either a cayman 4.0 or next gen RS3. We both really like the way the car looks albeit I was skeptical until I started more and more videos and phots of the car. As for the interior, I absolutely love the interior and the new belt line.

Reading all of these comments I get the vibe that people on this post are older, adverse to change, or are looking for a good excuse to not buy the car. The GTI has carplay which is great, but if I change a song, I still find myself looking at the screen quickly to see what song is playing next, or maybe to eventually to pick a new podcast or playlist. Even in the S4 I do the same. I also almost always find myself looking at the climate control screen/ knob in both cars after adjusting it. Additionally I keep the car in automatic in the S4 and typically have the temp set to high in the winter and then like 72 part way through my drive or 70ish in the summer. I don't often change it the way people are describing it here. VW also added tactile points so you can tell where your finger is. I also exclusively use my steering wheel for changing the volume in both cars and in the GTI for changing the track. I feel like this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion. People who seem to really trash it are highly opinionated reviewers or people who use the car once and get understand the flow. This is my opinion but I like the look of it and am on the younger side so I maybe I don't have the fascination with buttons. I also know that even with the buttons I still take my eyes off the road when using a button anyways at some point.

Finally, from the driving impressions this car is supposed to be amazing. It seems more like a two generation leap rather than one. Who know. Maybe its my age, or maybe its me being realistic about how I use my current controls

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like the Mk8 interior a lot. Less is more. We have a Tesla Model Y (sold the 3) and the lack of buttons is great. When I sit in other cars it's like button overload. A button for every possible function. Not necessary.

All you really need while driving is volume, song skip, window up/down and to be able to change the temperature w/o going into a sub screen. Just about everything else is done when stopped. For Tesla that's done with the steering wheel scroll wheel, armrest and the touch screen. For the Mk8 it's armrest, steering wheel and a dash slider.

Frankly, this still has more buttons than you need, but it's a start.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just thought I would bring this back to light a little.... I got a loaner 2021 Arteon today, and the interior is very much all touchscreen...
Appreciate you sharing some real world experience. I think this is going to be a great car. I'm in my 50s and I'm excited about the minimalist aesthetic and design, along with the new technology.

My Mk 7.5 GTI has been really great, but I'm looking forward to the added features and performance of the Mk 8 R.

-Chris

81 - 100 of 135 Posts