VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
What bothered me about the Arteon, is that I wasn't able to control the HVAC with voice. So I had to look down to adjust the temperature. Not a huge deal for me yesterday, as I was able to set it on auto and leave it as is. But I could have sworn, and maybe it holds true, the European model has the ability to control the temperature. Could be a different model the ID3 or ID4 that had that feature, but needless to say, it should be available in my mind.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
A few commentators have suggested that it's only the older generation that resists touch-screens in cars. Yet most of the car reviewers who complain about the lack of physical buttons and knobs on the Golf 8 are on the younger side. In terms of ergonomics and safety, there is no substitute for physical knobs or buttons. They are so much easier to use - especially while driving. Even the Arteon (referred to above) has a physical knob for the volume control.

It's instructive to note that Apple is reintroducing 'physical' function keys and escape keys on their MacBooks, following a consumer backlash against the touchscreens and non-tactile keyboards on their previous generation of machines. Hopefully, car manufacturers such as VW will follow suit, and reintroduce more tactility into their driver interfaces again (especially for key controls like volume, aircon etc). Here's a good analysis on the issue:

·
Registered
98 Posts
A few commentators have suggested that it's only the older generation that resists touch-screens in cars. Yet most of the car reviewers who complain about the lack of physical buttons and knobs on the Golf 8 are on the younger side. In terms of ergonomics and safety, there is no substitute for physical knobs or buttons. They are so much easier to use - especially while driving. Even the Arteon (referred to above) has a physical knob for the volume control.

It's instructive to note that Apple is reintroducing 'physical' function keys and escape keys on their MacBooks, following a consumer backlash against the touchscreens and non-tactile keyboards on their previous generation of machines. Hopefully, car manufacturers such as VW will follow suit, and reintroduce more tactility into their driver interfaces again (especially for key controls like volume, aircon etc).
There are real buttons for volume and temperature. You really aren't losing anything by going to a more screen interface. You get used to it quickly and then old cars look like the Apollo 11. Button overload.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
So, volume is NOT a capacitive slider? Are you certain of this?

Thanks........................ Frank
I call it BS as VW mentioned during the release no more physical buttons in the MK8.
I remember reading some reviews where the testers complained that the temperature sliders are located where you automatically rest your hands to manipulate the touchscreen, causing the temperature to be changed, every time the screen was touched.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
I call it BS as VW mentioned during the release no more physical buttons in the MK8.
I remember reading some reviews where the testers complained that the temperature sliders are located where you automatically rest your hands to manipulate the touchscreen, causing the temperature to be changed, every time the screen was touched.....
This. Plus the temp and volume sliders aren't even illuminated at night so you'll be groping in the dark. And a few reviewers have found that the steering wheel buttons get accidentally triggered in fast turning manoeuvres.

As someone who's conducted UX (user experience) research, it blows my mind that VW has made such elementary, catastrophic errors here. I'd flunk an undergrad student's UX project for these kinds of mistakes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This. Plus the temp and volume sliders aren't even illuminated at night so you'll be groping in the dark.
Volume on the steering should be illuminated.

I thought the primary benefit of old school buttons or dials is that you DON’T need to take your eyes off the road, yet now we are complaining about a lack of lights for a button which you shouldn’t be looking at? I get it, we want everything, but let’s give it a chance.

I drove an ID.4 with the same system and it’s pretty good. Slide or tap. Works well.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Night illumination may not be so critical if you have real buttons for climate etc., but when all you have is a flat surface with no tactile cues for finger location AND no lighting you have a real problem that has serious safety implications.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Night illumination may not be so critical if you have real buttons for climate etc., but when all you have is a flat surface with no tactile cues for finger location AND no lighting you have a real problem that has serious safety implications.
The temperature controls are on the ends of the screen area. They are about an inch long and have raised ends. Tap or slide.

The volume is a long bar between the temperature areas. Again tap or slide or use the control on the steering wheel.

They are all in front of the back-lit screen, so there is light bathing the sliders.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The temperature controls are on the ends of the screen area. They are about an inch long and have raised ends. Tap or slide.

The volume is a long bar between the temperature areas. Again tap or slide or use the control on the steering wheel.

They are all in front of the back-lit screen, so there is light bathing the sliders.
Those are mitigating factors to be sure. Whether they are enough to avoid trouble... it will be interesting to see what North American reviewers make of them.

Having steering wheel buttons activate unintentionally in vigorous driving as at least 2 reviewers have mentioned so far remains a big concern.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Those are mitigating factors to be sure. Whether they are enough to avoid trouble... it will be interesting to see what North American reviewers make of them.

Having steering wheel buttons activate unintentionally in vigorous driving as at least 2 reviewers have mentioned so far remains a big concern.
I guess. I mean once or twice I’ve hit the volume scroll wheel on our Tesla. It’s never made me regret my purchase.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I guess. I mean once or twice I’ve hit the volume scroll wheel on our Tesla. It’s never made me regret my purchase.
I'm sure most of the time it won't be a problem. But all you need is something distracting you suddenly and unexpectedly when you are at the limit in a corner, or when something is happening on the road at a moment that demands your full attention... all it takes is one bad timing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm sure most of the time it won't be a problem. But all you need is something distracting you suddenly and unexpectedly when you are at the limit in a corner, or when something is happening on the road at a moment that demands your full attention... all it takes is one bad timing.
I have a feeling, after a short time, you will stop looking and just make the changes via muscle memory, so you can focus on the road. Our Teslas have had even less buttons and they don't really distract us...and the Mk8 has a horizontal button-slider, which is better than a vertical touchscreen.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a feeling, after a short time, you will stop looking and just make the changes via muscle memory, so you can focus on the road. Our Teslas have had even less buttons and they don't really distract us...and the Mk8 has a horizontal button-slider, which is better than a vertical touchscreen.
You are probably right about the sliders, I was thinking of the inadvertent steering wheel activations that might startle and draw attention at the wrong time. Possibly you can learn to avoid those as well, but it shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You are probably right about the sliders, I was thinking of the inadvertent steering wheel activations that might startle and draw attention at the wrong time. Possibly you can learn to avoid those as well, but it shouldn't be necessary.
On the ID.4 the steering buttons needed decent force to press down.

·
Registered
394 Posts
On the ID.4 the steering buttons needed decent force to press down.
Maybe VW learned a lesson from the initial Golf 8 reception and toughened them up for the ID.4. Reviewers are cautious folk, reluctant to bite the hand that feeds them, so the fact that a few have mentioned this problem on the 8R suggests it's significant. Long-term reviews should give a more solid indication.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe VW learned a lesson from the initial Golf 8 reception and toughened them up for the ID.4. Reviewers are cautious folk, reluctant to bite the hand that feeds them, so the fact that a few have mentioned this problem on the 8R suggests it's significant. Long-term reviews should give a more solid indication.
Can you link me to a review of the 8R complaining about issues with the steering wheel?

101 - 120 of 135 Posts