VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I will need to get my hands on it before I can make a judgement call, I remember thinking how big of a mistake it was when Apple got rid of the home button for the iPhone X, now I can't imagine going back to one.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The big thing will be accidental touches for me. Worried about twisty mountain drives and my huge hands. We'll see!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cuthbert

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
Mat Watson at CarWow just panned the Golf 8 touchscreen controls in his comparison between the R and S3. Here is his quote from 3 minutes 18 seconds into the review:

'Another thing I'm not keen on is the way you have to control the temperature and volume with these slider switches' (He accidentally turns on the fan)...Go away!... Now I've got the blooming fan blowing away…stop that now. Stop it!…I just want to punch it!....(Then he turns his attention to the steering wheel buttons)..'I do hate the way you have to use these touch sensitive buttons on the steering wheel….They're also annoying as hell'. See video below:

It's a great shame, because apart from the silly (and distractingly dangerous) touchscreen controls, the new Golf 8 seems like a wonderful car to drive. VW please bring back proper buttons and knobs for the next generation Golf 9.

·
Registered
394 Posts
^ Better still, follow Honda's lead with the Civic and don't wait until the next gen to address this stupid cost-cutting screwup, fix it next year.

·
Administrator
'83 GTI, 04 R32, '14 GLI, '15 GLI
21,139 Posts
I'm reserving judgment until I actually get in a car and use it. I've heard others experience that it's no big deal so much of this may come down to personal preference or.. it may just be total junk. It's not going to prevent me from getting one however.

·
Registered
Current - 17 Passat SEL Past - 02 337, 04 r32, 11 CC, 11 GTI, 16 Passat S
266 Posts
I guarantee once you live with the car for a week or two controlling everything will be second nature. I remember when we first saw the mk8 everyone was saying how ugly it is. Now that we have seen it more and more it looks great. Don’t we all want something new and different for the most part. Evolution of the automobile, might as well get used to it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The problem I have with reviews from journalists is they rarely have the car long enough to really learn it. Now that actual customers are receiving cars the whole all screen thing seems to be a non issue. As an example you can have shortcuts on the screen so there is no need to scroll through a ton of menus to say get to the climate control, or radio. For me I will set it up as Radio, climate control, seats, and one other, not sure as those are the ones I would use daily. Drive modes are accessed by pressing the R button on the steering wheel, and volume, just like the mk7/7.5 is also on the steering wheel. Navigation I already have in my speedo screen in my 7.5 so will have the same in the 9, and navigation I use Waze or Google maps on my phone anyway. Below is an actual owner talking about the car. As you can read the difficulty of the infotainment is blown out of proportion. Basically as with any new car purchase, from any manufacture now, take the time to learn the tech and it will be fine. The days of just jumping in a car and driving are long gone.
Tech
This is always going to be divisive topic no doubt, and much has been written and said about the buttonless interior of the Golf 8, but having driven my car daily for a few hundred miles using the tech both stationary and on the move, here’s my thoughts on it. I’m enjoying the new tech very much, including the haptic buttons (some of which can still be pressed like traditional buttons, and with a light press or a firm press for different function; and some, such as volume button and next music track button on the steering wheel, can be used both as slider controls as well as press buttons) the infotainment and steering wheel slider controls and the generally very responsive touch screen. There are a variety of ways to access the infotainment features including customisable shortcuts which does make things easier. Some things I miss from the mk7, namely a quick accessible fan dial but I’ve found pretty much everything else absolutely fine using either the touchscreen, the slider controls, the haptic buttons under the infotainment screen and the steering wheel haptic controls. I find the menus (now I’ve had a good explore of them) to be easy to navigate but I’d highly recommend anyone spend a few hours in the car stationary familiarising yourself with it all. The ability to quickly disable Lane Assist using the button on the end of the indicator stalk is a godsend. Even turning off Stop/Start (which I hate) is only a quick swipe down of the infotainment screen for the quick shortcut menu as it’s already wisely a default on that menu. I’d prefer to permanently code it off but until such time, this is a quick method. Ive not had any loss of concentration using the various controls whilst on the move though I know this is a contentious issue, but my own experience so far is that they are perfectly useable in motion. I have had a couple of glitches being a slow screen on two occasions and an occasion where one of the heated seat icons vanished but a hard reset (press on button for 20 secs) brought it back. In an ideal world tech and software would work without any glitches but this is reality and so whilst not accepting of repeated failures (not experienced) I am accepting and philosophical about a few relatively minor glitches, so far. I think some of the gremlins suffered by the earlier software and hardware versions have been addressed. I expect there may be some things that will come along to frustrate with the software but atm be edit of the doubt. And in daily usage so far, I’m enjoying this new tech aspect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personally I love the way the interior looks. And regarding all the complaints about the volume and climate control, I’m kind of surprised. Sure, knobs and buttons may be more intuitive to us, but when i thought about it some more, this didn’t bother me at all.

I control the volume using the steering wheel and legitimately cannot remember the last time I touched the climate control (aside from turning on defrost functions).

Reactions: Snow Drift
121 - 135 of 135 Posts