VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I had the Arteon loaner which has a very similar steering wheel, I completely agree that it is easy to hit the side buttons. If I have my elbow on the window sill, my left hand is at about the 9 o'clock position. Didn't hit it all the time, but every now and then. Where I hit it the most, was when I was turning. No different than when I turn in with my MK6, and I hit the voice command button. Annoying yes, but its not an every day event.
Don't get me started about hitting the windshield wipers during an AutoX... lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
    • Who drives at 9-3? Your hands go at 10-2, which is why there are bulging grips at those points. So, you shouldn't hit the buttons outside of a complete spin when shuffling your hands.
They actually teach kids to drive 9-3 because of airbags. At 10-2, the airbag would fling your arms back. They also prefer not turning hand over hand for that reason, they want kids to turn the wheel by sliding your hands on the wheel...you’d have to watch a video to see what I mean.

·
Registered
156 Posts
They actually teach kids to drive 9-3 because of airbags. At 10-2, the airbag would fling your arms back. They also prefer not turning hand over hand for that reason, they want kids to turn the wheel by sliding your hands on the wheel...you’d have to watch a video to see what I mean.
That sounds horrible. You have very little grip on the wheel at 9-3 as that is where the buttons and "spoke" is located. I can see it with a yolk/F1, but not a round wheel.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That sounds horrible. You have very little grip on the wheel at 9-3 as that is where the buttons and "spoke" is located. I can see it with a yolk/F1, but not a round wheel.
Actually I find the Golf 8 wheel perfectly designed for 9-3, your thumbs would rest in the notch right above the buttons, giving your hands nice support. It’s a nice rounded cutout, almost looks it was designed for that thumb to wrap around

·
Registered
156 Posts
Actually I find the Golf 8 wheel perfectly designed for 9-3, your thumbs would rest in the notch right above the buttons, giving your hands nice support. It’s a nice rounded cutout, almost looks it was designed for that thumb to wrap around View attachment 84838
That would mean your hands can't wrap around the wheel as the spoke/buttons are in the way and so you don't have a good grip. They made those big bulges north of your circles for a reason.

·
Registered
Current - 17 Passat SEL Past - 02 337, 04 r32, 11 CC, 11 GTI, 16 Passat S
379 Posts
Too many buttons on the steering wheel not enough useful buttons on the dash. Love the car by the way and at the end of the day I would find a way to live with it just fine.

Also, I hope the lag with the screens can be fixed with a software update. If not, the most annoying thing would be frozen screens. That would drive me nuts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That would mean your hands can't wrap around the wheel as the spoke/buttons are in the way and so you don't have a good grip. They made those big bulges north of your circles for a reason.
Maybe. But as seen in the pic below, the 9-3 grip seems just fine, and also allows good access to the shifting paddles. But 10-2 works as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Maybe. But as seen in the pic below, the 9-3 grip seems just fine, and also allows good access to the shifting paddles. But 10-2 works as well.
View attachment 84938
I realize it is possible to drive this way, it just not seem natural to me. Less grip on the wheel, having to shuffle the wheel from the bottom vs just crossing your arms. Also, my arm naturally rests on the window sill, not the door armrest, so this would be completely wrong and makes one handed driving difficult.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Good news. Customers will be able to specify real knobs for air-conditioning in the upcoming VW Polo. Let's hope VW soon offers this option for the Golf 8. See Thomas's comment at 7 mins 20 seconds in the review below.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Huh? Don't see a major problem, the only thing that took more than a split second was accessing the nav and maybe one other thing.
You are much more patient than I am then. The guy was scrolling with no movement for a few seconds each time. To each their own but I wouldn’t put up with this. I assume this specific car needs a sw update and other golfs won’t be this slow.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You are much more patient than I am then. The guy was scrolling with no movement for a few seconds each time. To each their own but I wouldn’t put up with this. I assume this specific car needs a sw update and other golfs won’t be this slow.
The ID.4 did the same thing when I tested. If you swipe the screen it hangs at 3/4, and then after a few seconds moves to the next screen. Hopefully they can update before the Mk8 hits the US.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The ID.4 did the same thing when I tested. If you swipe the screen it hangs at 3/4, and then after a few seconds moves to the next screen. Hopefully they can update before the Mk8 hits the US.
Hopefully it’s a software issue, and not a situation where they didn’t put enough memory or something in the entertainment system….

·
Registered
Current - 17 Passat SEL Past - 02 337, 04 r32, 11 CC, 11 GTI, 16 Passat S
379 Posts
I bet we are going to see people trying to upgrade to analog gauges and infotainment screens with buttons. I wonder if that will even be possible. Too bad they don’t have an option package with them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
I would gladly pay an extra thousand dollars or more for proper physical buttons and knobs on a new Golf 8. It would make the car far more useable, enjoyable and safe for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a reason why touch screens are not used in aircraft for critical functions. For the MK8.5 VW may remove the steering and require a left swipe to steer left etc.

I consider myself tech savvy and after living 2 years with current R I still struggle with the touch interface on occasions. Having buttons for features used on a daily basis makes the touch screen shortcoming tolerable.
I have frequently reach for the recirculate button and can’t find it fast enough, and end up sniffing somebody’s tailpipe; I wouldn’t bother to even attempt that in a MK8.

I love the clean layout of the MK8 dash which I prefer over the MK7.5, just wish there were four “shortcut” knobs/buttons below for volume, temp, fan speed and recirculation.................and steering wheel buttons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do indeed enjoy the simple layout. Volvo does a really good job of this, but I would still rather take physical buttons over it, at least put the buttons to have its own permanent spot on a screen. The biggest turn away for me is volume control, I am always adjusting the volume in my mk7 and I would feel forced to do some sort of swap to put a mk7 steering wheel on. I love the steering wheel that comes on my gti, they nailed it perfectly including all the buttons and layout. One might assume that they could just use the steering wheel controls to change the volume. To me the steering wheel controls are even worse, I had to pick my finger up off of the touch pad every time I wanted to change the volume by one small increment. I couldn't just use differing pressure to 'click' a button, the finger had to come all the way off the pad. That is simply crazy. I was shocked when I had to do that and it started to hurt my hand. I have some pretty obvious signs of RA and I am still very young. They could have tried to follow what Range Rover did with their steering wheel controls, keeping the 'click'.

If VW wanted to minimize how many buttons are on the dashboard then they should look at Lexus. We have a new RX with all the little goodies, including the large 12 inch screen. Its a touch screen and you can use the touchpad down below and it looks good while keeping all the buttons in a reasonable spot. (We do miss having a physical parking sensor mute button though.)

Also, I do believe that VW did do some market research to see what their possible clientele might want but I think they either forgot about the USA or just thought that they could get away with it because it is trendy. It seems pretty obvious that people still want at least a volume knob... look at what Ford is doing now. They have a huge screen but with a stick on volume knob (from what I have heard, you can take it off).

Note:
-I drive 9-3 on the curvy parts of the road, 12-5 whenever its not curvy, and on the highway usually 9-3 unless I need a break, then it is usually my arm on the window sill and my hand at 9.
-The touch pads in the ID. 4 I was in were incredibly hot, imagine a phone sitting in the sun for a while. (yes the heated steering wheel was off :) )
-In our Lexus you can just say "I'm cold" or ask it to take you to a gas station or let it know you are hungry, it is a very nice system

·
Registered
880 Posts
It appears the media is coming around to haptic controls over "old VW gear"! The older controls with buttons are now considered "budget"!

"Most of the controls and buttons are all old VW gear, unlike the new Tiguan’s haptic-touch and touch-slider–festooned center stack and steering wheel. The Taos is built to be a budget crossover, though, so it can’t have every new goodie in VW’s grab bag."

2022 Volkswagen Taos First Drive | Back where we started, but better

·
Registered
1 Posts
Absolutely spot-on the money. Add to the fact that it’s a nightmare to use while driving, it’s also absolutely crammed full of bugs. Keeps forgetting who you are, forgetting your settings, telling you the speed limit of the area you’re in in kmph…. Just rubbish to the extent that we have a brand new Golf R (well, 2 weeks old now) and we’re sending it back.

Amazing engine and chassis but I’m not spending years fighting with the dashboard - back it goes.

Volkswagen will deeply regret replacing their familiar tactile dashboard on the Golf - with real knobs and buttons - with a touchscreen and slider controls. It is so much easier to adjust airconditioning or volume by twisting a knob. People like to touch and feel things - not just tap and swipe.

Apple learned this lesson the hard way when they removed the Escape key on their Macbooks and replaced the physical function buttons with a virtual panel. They were forced to reintroduce the old physical button after a public outcry.

Obviously the Golf 8 designers looked at Tesla and thought they should copy them by removing all the knobs and buttons. But Tesla is a completely different value proposition driven by many early adopters - and even Tesla drivers complain about the lack of basic knobs for aircon and volume. They put up with these faults because the rest of the Tesla cars are so good.

I own a Golf 7 which I absolutely love. I chose it over a BMW 1 series and a small Mercedes because it is so much better for everyday driving. But I will certainly not upgrade to a Golf 8 because I don’t want to have to deal with that ridiculous new virtual dashboard.

I am not alone in my criticism on this point - numerous car reviewers have complained how difficult it is to use this new dashboard. it’s such a shame because everything else about the new Golf 8 seems wonderful. But the dashboard is a dealbreaker.

141 - 160 of 169 Posts