VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
For everyone making a judgement on the cockpit from reviewers who only have a limited Time with the car and especially with videos, have to push out content so really don't spend the time learning the system, plus usually have more than one vehicle at the same time to review. Go onto groups where there are actual owners and it doesn't seem that bad. How quick did you get used to buttonless cockpit?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agreed...it’s like anything new, you learn it and get used to it. It will become second nature the longer you use it. Only thing I’m worried about is the unit crashing/freezing and just overall slowing down over time and VW not doing anything about it.

For everyone making a judgement on the cockpit from reviewers who only have a limited Time with the car and especially with videos, have to push out content so really don't spend the time learning the system, plus usually have more than one vehicle at the same time to review. Go onto groups where there are actual owners and it doesn't seem that bad. How quick did you get used to buttonless cockpit?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think since a lot of car manuf. are going this route, I think there will be constant updates that get sent out to fix and keep it working well.

That being said, Volvo used to regularly publish software updates for the system that you could do at home. Then out of the blue, they pulled the plug on that. Too many systems crashing???? Now the only way you can get your system updated, is if you take it in and specify that something appears wrong. Only then do they flash the system if an update is available.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have been cross-shopping the Golf R with the new 2022 S3 and incoming 2022 RS3. Interesting to see on the Audi.de site that Audi has gone with buttons for the AC controls and several others along the bottom of the dash below the new infotainment center.

·
Vendor
1,912 Posts
We recently imported a UK spec Gold 8 R for development of the JB4.
Day 1 I felt like I had moved from IOS to Android in terms of the infotainment system. Turns out there is some shortcuts though and it allows you four quick access features where I have set the auto/stop start and ESC to be quick access. Still playing around with the rest and its not the best but not as bad as they make it out to be on the youtube videos.
The steering controls are not as sensitive as they make it out to be and you still got to press the button.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So here is my take the more I think about it and the more I drive my mk 7.5,and the more I interact with ACTUAL OWNERS overseas. I am a daily guy, I don't track it, so I am not having to change my settings, and even then, I would assume the settings used on the track would not be done while actually on the track, but before. In fact I can count on my hand the number of times I have changed the drive settings in the last three and a half years. I have it set and have not changed. And if you really want to go to Race mode on a city street, well there is the R button. How often do you actually use launch control as an example on the street. I would say if you do, you are probably racing which you should not be doing anyway. Today is something like 35+ degrees Celsius with the humidity, again for the last week my temperature controls have been set and I have nit touched them. For me I adjust the following regularly so 4 shortcuts are fine. 1. Radio. 2.Navigation, 3. Apple CarPlay. 4. climate, and that is infrequently. In regard to the steering wheel controls. Go to a dealer and ask to try the new Aerton, same steering wheel, same controls. I did and it's not anywhere as bad as the reviewers are saying. As for the sliders at night, remember the steering wheel controls are lit so that pretty much takes care of channel/track changing and volume.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Same thing is said with every Golf introduction since the Mk2. Makes folks feel superior.
I've watched more than one MK7 GTI review on YouTube and I more often than not reply to their complaints with the fact that they've only driven the car for a few minutes and are basing their opinions on a single interaction with the vehicle. Over time, the human brain will learn how to interact with any machine,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
VW’s management team would now be well aware of the negative feedback on the Golf 8 dashboard. It’s very likely they will insist that buttons and knobs for basic functions like aircon and volume are reintroduced for the next model.

Apple computers were recently forced to do a similar thing, after a public backlash against their ‘touchscreen’ style keyboards on the Macbooks. They reintroduced physical function keys and made the keyboards much more tactile and user friendly.

It’s just a shame that VW made such a silly design choice for their dashboard. At least their other brands such as Audi, Porsche etc are retaining physical buttons and knobs for key functions.

161 - 169 of 169 Posts