hi all
I've got a 95 vw golf
everything in the car is great except the automatic transmission
everything is good with the transmission when i put the selector
on 1,2,3,N,R,P
but D has got some problems
when i run the car and put on D it goes well and i start driving
when i slow down or stop on a traffic light then push the gas pedal
the car gives high RPM as its on N (but the selector is on D) and after a couple of seconds it starts moving
i always check the transmission fluid and it has no problem
recently i changed the transmission filter and fluid hoping this would fix the problem but it didnt help
i checked the gear using the weird device (computer i think) and it didnt give any fault codes and said AT is fine
i took the car to some mechanics to check the gear they all said the its fine and clean . even 2 mechanics said its rare to find a good A/T like mine.
but this problem on D is bothering me alot
can anybody here help me plzzzz
thnx alot

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Re: golf A/T problem!! (jojo1212)

Automatic on Mk3's suck a$$ PERIOD.
I'm not lying ask anyone http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

yeah i know A/T on mk3 sux
but what could i do
---
that 5sp manual transmission swap will cost alot of money
and the car itself doesnt worth $h!t since its too old
if ya know what i mean
---
yeah A/T problem
any more suggestions
thnx everyone

·
Banned
1,514 Posts
Interesting because D uses the same 1-2 clutch packs as your 1st and second gears. Since you don't drive it around in those gears, I think that the problem is more load related. I've seen this problem unplugging the mass air sensor a lot. But it could be a combination of sticky valves when coming out of 4th gear.
I think the problems to address are general drivetrain running conditions first, then try switching to a synthetic ATF like mobile 1. This seemed to help my cause a great deal.
When the engine revs high and has no power everyone is quick to blame the automatic trans. Why? Because they don't understand how it works. The autotrans is not much different from than manual other than it has a computer controling the clutches, which are in seperate packs and controled by hydraulic pressure.
Main problems are hydraulic sticky valves, brittle plastic parts inside that get weak over time. When your clutch packs go out then you generally have no drive in auto trans...anything else can generally be fixed or reversed.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Re: (No Dice)

Quote, originally posted by No Dice »
^^^

Yeah, what he said... I have/had the same problem with my car. 5 Speed swaps are not expensive if you know what you are doing and have access to tools. Donor cars are an investment if you play your cards right... If you are interested- do a search in all threads for "Transmission Swap". You have pretty limited choices as far as your transmission is concerned. From what i can tell, they last about 100K miles. There are also several threads about the "Lifetime" transmission fluid in our cars. See my signature, and keep in mind: VW should have never made an automatic transmission.
edit: Grammar Police!

Modified by Skot53 at 8:46 PM 4-21-2006

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

i see
whats that mobile 1 fluid code
i mean the number like 75pw3535
or somethin like that
and could be there anythin else to do for the A/T ??
thnx alot

·
Registered
5,495 Posts

Just sell your car and by a stick http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

its easy for you to say that.
actually i didnt post the problem here just to hear SELL IT or SWAP TO MANUAL
i was hopin for more serious answers in this big forum
see this problem will face anybody and its good to find a solution for me and the other members or everybody who come across this forum
if ya know what i mean
what was that mobile1 fluid code ???

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Re: (Gibson5469)

Quote, originally posted by Gibson5469 »
Well theres also a way to "re-learn" the shift point's in the computer. It was in a recent thread as well, I beleive Cyclopath posted it.

turn ignition on, don't start
hold gas pedal to the floor for 10 seconds
let go, turn ignition off
start car, go for a drive

·
Registered
2,105 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jojo1212 »
i was hopin for more serious answers in this big forum

That is a serious answer as you are going to get... 01M's are terrible transmissions. Designed by VW for 100K miles of usage. Period. Sell car or get a new transmission. End of story- Zipties won't fix this one.

·
Registered
26,501 Posts

If the fluid is full, and its the right type of fluid and its clean, I hate to say this - but it does sounds like the trans has taken a dump-a-roo.
It sounds like its not downshifting from 4th or 3rd when you slow to a stop - this could explain the slipping when you take off. Unless you do a manual shift (as you are doing). Which leads me to think something is sticking in the valve body.
Just an idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.