VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Golf GTI front top mounts shot? FK Coilovers installed

Okay, so when I am driving, I notice and slightly feel a clunking sound from the front end, and it seemed like it was coming from the struts. So I put the golf on the hoist, and with all tires off the ground, I pushed up on the front wheels. The top mounts move easily up and down, is this cause of bad top mounts? Or misinstalled coilovers? I took the coilovers off and reinstalled, they really only go on one way, so I don't see how they are not installed correctly. They are FK Coilovers (streetlines? yellow springs), which were on the car when I bought it.

Does anyone else have this issue? If so what did you do to solve it? If not, is it a bad top mount symptom?

1997 Golf GTI 2.0l

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What are the tolerances? I/E, when is the play considered excessive?

Also, on German Auto Parts, they have a listing for stock, and "Heavy Duty" upper mounts. Are the heavy duty ones worth the extra 5 dollars? Or stick with the "stock duty" ones?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Some play at the strut mounts is ok, It should not making a clunking. If there is noise when turning, it could be the upper bearings on the mounts, Thats about it.

I would shake down the front end real well. Check out the stab links to see if they are loose/broken. Also, See if the control arm bushings have pushed through. If they have and the control arm is resting on the frame other than having the bushing support it, you could definitely have a clunk

Also, Check your Balljoints the CORRECT way by unloading the front suspension and using a pry bar at the joint to see if there is play. Shaking the wheel will not cut it.

Also, Check the mounts for the rack. Should be 4 bolts total, two on the left side, 2 on the right side. I had a clunking sound that I could not locate for the longest time, I finally just started checking everything and realized these bolts were just a tad backed off (like 1-2 threads) i literally gave them a quarter turn and the noise went away. :thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some play at the strut mounts is ok, It should not making a clunking. If there is noise when turning, it could be the upper bearings on the mounts, Thats about it.

I would shake down the front end real well. Check out the stab links to see if they are loose/broken. Also, See if the control arm bushings have pushed through. If they have and the control arm is resting on the frame other than having the bushing support it, you could definitely have a clunk

Also, Check your Balljoints the CORRECT way by unloading the front suspension and using a pry bar at the joint to see if there is play. Shaking the wheel will not cut it.

Also, Check the mounts for the rack. Should be 4 bolts total, two on the left side, 2 on the right side. I had a clunking sound that I could not locate for the longest time, I finally just started checking everything and realized these bolts were just a tad backed off (like 1-2 threads) i literally gave them a quarter turn and the noise went away. :thumbup:
I will definitely give all these a try tomorrow. It makes the clunking noise while going straight, loudly at lower speeds, and bumpy roads (obviously).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.