VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Golf / Gti Jetta Vent install - helpful for jetta/golf vent removal **Pics**

First off, I have to give props to jkrew for originally posting his DIY on this install. Also thanks to lag for helping me procure these vents.

STEP 1 – Remove original vents

If you are removing golf vents - keep reading, if you are removing Jetta vents, skip to the individual vents section (STEP 2).

Most people know how to remove the vents, but there are a few tricks to help you.

Golf vents
First off, all 4 vents ( the parts that move and control air flow) all come out by pushing the side with the vertical wheel. You might need help of a screwdriver. Take out all of these first.
Arrows show which side to push from.

STEP 2 - Individual Vents

Drivers side (golf/jetta):

1. While in the off position, push the switch in while turning ‘on’ the switch will move to a position in between ‘on’ and ‘off’ you may hear a click sound.
2. Pull switch out, unhook harness by squeezing the little tabs on each side.
3. You should now see two torque screws. Remove these ( you can chuck the top one, you won’t need it anymore IF you are installing Jetta vents, but I`d keep it, just in case you lose another one later on...)

Here is a shot of their locations (I've taken them out by now)

4. Pull the vent out, and pop off the harness to the dimmer switch, yank out dimmer switch (through the front) and set aside with light switch.

Passenger side (golf/jetta):

1. There are no screws, you just need to yank it out. You might need to really reef on it – but if you’re like me – I didn’t really want to keep my old vents to I just gave ‘er. A putty knife can help here.

***If you are installing lighted vents***
2. There is a little rectangle of thin plastic that you will see once the vent is out. – left hand side.

Take a flat screwdriver and press it against the rectangle, give the screwdriver a quick forceful shove and the plastic will break leaving you with a nice rectangular hole. This is where you need to run your wires for the vent.

3. While you’re here, remove the panel on the right hand side of the dash, it sits flush against the door when closed. Pull it evenly away from the dash towards the opened door a lot ( you should hear clicking as the metal clips disengage, then back towards the rear of the car. This piece is hard to move and you’ll most likely rip some of the clips off of their pins once it is loose, but I didn’t break anything on mine.

Center Vent

1. Remove two torque screws in upper corners of vents (you jetta guys don't need to do this part, follow steps 2-4). ***Jetta guys I have noticed in my travels, one or two instances where the center vent in a jetta had these two torx screws in place. They are a PITA to remove since you can't easily remove them. I suggest taking a good look through the 'louvres' of your vents to see if you see anything that looks like a screw back there, prior to yanking the vents out. IF, and its a big IF, you see screws in there - you'll need to carefully pull the front fascia of the jetta vents off the housing, then remove the louvres and then undo the screws. PM me for help if you need it***

2. Carefully remove all of the buttons by prying behind them with a little screwdriver. The hazard switch and rear defrost will be mighty hard to get off. Undo the wiring harnesses for the witches, and store the switches in a safe place.

3. If you can’t get a switch out, you should be able to get the whole vent out and remove them from the rear. The top of the center vent should come out towards you a little bit, then the bottom should release itself from their clips. Again - a putty knife can help get under the edge and help the vent out - be careful not to damage the soft touch coating, patience is key.

4. Once out, you should be able to pull the vents out just enough to undo the harness for any stubborn switch, and then get the switch out. The problem with the above mentioned switches is they are held in with metal springs that are very tough to get out.

STEP 3 - Wiring (If lighted) Skip to step 4 if not installing lighted vents.

The wiring can be done many ways, all you need to know is that the blue/grey wire is the power and the brown is the ground. Each switch in has these two wires leading into it. All you need to do is connect the blue/grey and brown wires from the wires coming off the vents, to matching wires in the existing wiring. I used 20 gauge speaker wire since it is easy to control and would stay together while I fed the wires behind the dash. I crimped and soldered my connections, but you could use tap ins if you wanted to.

Wiring the passenger side:

1. Crimp about 4’ of wire to the power and ground of the wires on the vents. I used the copper wire as my ground and silver as power – just to make sure I didn’t mess it up (that way, copper always went to brown and silver went to blue/grey).
2. Feed this wire through the rectangular hole and behind the airbag to the center vent hole.
3. Slide the vent into the hole, and pull all of the wire through. Don’t push the vent all the way in though – just in case you need to yank it back out.
4. Leave wire there while you work on the drivers side.

Wiring the drivers side:

You can do this multiple ways. One way is to tap into the power and ground wires (Blue/grey and brown) of the dimmer switch, and then just run the wires behind the light switch to the wires coming off the drivers vent. Use tap in connectors or soldering. You might not even need to extend the wires from the vent if done this way.

I did a slightly more complicated install

1. Run a wire from the drivers vent hole behind the steering wheel to the center vent hole. This is tricky, since I didn’t want to remove the paneling on the drivers side as I did with the passenger side. However, the speaker wire I had was a little stiff, and I was able to (with the help of my mechanic father) to feed the wires behind the wheel between the two vents.
2. Connect the power and ground wire from the vent wires to the speaker wire, cram everything back in lightly (again not too tight in case I had to remove it)

Wiring the center Vents (and everything else together)

The main reason I didn’t want to simply tap into the wires on the drivers side was because I wanted only ONE connection to the stock illumination system. What I did was locate the power wire and the ground wire that went into the rear defrost button. I removed the wires out of the harness by pushing the entire connection piece back through the harness. I was left with this:

Then I wrapped a little piece of my speaker wire to each of the wires as shown here, again with copper to brown, silver to blue/grey, and soldered them there, wrapped them in electrical tape, and reinserted the prongs of the wires to the harness

Next I gathered all of the power wires from the drivers, passenger and center vents and crimped them to the power wire I had just made off the switch. I did the same with all of the ground wires from the vents and the ground wire off the switch. I was left with this:

Then I just had to cram everything back in.

STEP 4 - Cramming everything in.

This is rather self explanatory, however, please test the vents if you’re got the lighted ones to make sure they are all on, and they respond to the dimmer switch too. It s a little hard to get the center switches back in but with them strategic placement you’ll be fine.

Here are some pics of mine:

And at night:

If my pics ever stop working, just IM me and I can help out, and if you’ve got questions I’ll try to help as well.

Edit (March 2014): Diagram for removing vents, image hosting courtesy of latinvw

Edit (February 2015): Cleaned up the post and pics as the BB code went nuts... Also, lets celebrate the age of this mod, and how it`s still so popular :) :beer:

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Re: Golf / Gti Jetta Vent install Pics and comments (London Dub)

Just wondering...is this a feature that VW has deleted on later production A4s? The reason that I ask is that my 2006 Jetta Wagon doesn't have the light up vents.....

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Re: Golf / Gti Jetta Vent install Pics and comments (digifant_gli)

very nice... iv been looking for a set of jetta vents for awhile now. where did you pick those up and for how much $?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Re: Golf / Gti Jetta Vent install Pics and comments (VDUBRACER187)

Assuming that the part numbers in my older version of ETKA are correct, these are what you would need to order from your dealer:
(Listed from Left to Right)
Left Vent - 1J1-819-703-E-2AQ - $103.22
Middle Vent - 1J0-819-728-D-2AQ - $223.53
Right Vent - 1J1-819-704-D-2AQ - $87.18
Definitley not an inexpensive mod to perform....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Re: Golf / Gti Jetta Vent install Pics and comments (smokedoutVR6)

go to the junkyard and buy them. everyone that i know with them baught them from there and they are in mint condition + only cost 30$ at most for all 3 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: Golf / Gti Jetta Vent install Pics and comments (00BlueSi)

Hmmm -- theres a 00 Jetta in the local j/y -- might have to do this myself.

·
Registered
20,984 Posts
Re: Golf / Gti Jetta Vent install Pics and comments (mujjuman)

Quote, originally posted by mujjuman »
hottness
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Re: Golf / Gti Jetta Vent install Pics and comments (London Dub)

Great DIY. I did the same mod and I'm loving it especially at night. This is the way every GTI should have come stock

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re: (astonishedboy)

Just did this today with some vents from a wrecked jetta. Great DIY! This will take a little time to run the wiring properly but it is well worth it in the end
. Why didn't these come stock on golf/gti

·
Registered
27,085 Posts
Re: (tboger0414)

Quote, originally posted by tboger0414 »
Just did this today with some vents from a wrecked jetta. Great DIY! This will take a little time to run the wiring properly but it is well worth it in the end
. Why didn't these come stock on golf/gti

cost saving measure. plus, due to the markets involved with the cars, they came on jettas for a reason.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re: Golf / Gti Jetta Vent install Pics and comments (00BlueSi)

Quote, originally posted by 00BlueSi »
go to the junkyard and buy them. everyone that i know with them baught them from there and they are in mint condition + only cost 30$ at most for all 3 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Yeah good call. $25 for the set at the junkyard, my set cleaned up real nice. Def. don't buy full price.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts