VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Not really. It's full of click-bait and is using conjecture rather than reporting. It's also not as if the GTI would be going away even if they are correct, it'd merely be changing. Sure, it'd be changing quite a bit, but it'd still be there.
Yup, CarThrottle is basically the Brit version of Jalopnik, take everything they say lightly.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Well VW does have a leg up on the competition in regards to fake engine noise (i.e. Soundaktor).

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 FieSTa
9,816 Posts
Not really. It's full of click-bait and is using conjecture rather than reporting.
Well yeah, it's Car Throttle. The Buzzfeed/fake news of the car world alongside jalopnik.

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
Yup, CarThrottle is basically the Brit version of Jalopnik, take everything they say lightly.

Technically, Britain's Days Are Officially Numbered, which will only make the People's GTI even less affordable for most of the UK.

Brilliant article. Spot on.

:laugh:

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
You can say the same thing 20 or 30 years ago. The formula for the GTI that worked in the past, won't work going forward into the future. This isn't news. It's how products and brands evolve in response to customer and regulatory needs.

There's no reason to believe that electrification will kill the GTI. However it's quite obvious that electrification will change the core DNA of the GTI. Just like the MKI GTI drives radically different than the MVII GTI.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
8,419 Posts
I don't even care anymore.

Cars have changed so much that if I wanted something fun, it would be pre-2000.

If they electrify all new cars, it would be for the better. Gas cars are so dull nowadays, and you need over 200hp to have 'fun'. Gone are the days of the fun and lifelike 108hp GTI.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I think it 10-20 years, most performance cars will have at least some form of electrification. We will still have the "GTI"- maybe it will just be the GTE.
That could be fun. Transverse turbocharged 3/4 banger up front that feeds into a power split transmission that allows it to work, Volt-style, as either a generator or a direct connection hybrid. Electric motor for the rear axle, to give you AWD. Modest battery element; it's a hybrid, not a full EV.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.