VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Re: Golf III VR6 Antifreeze, what type? (gomer)

...from what I've understood, G11 is not being produced any more (well, at least the local dealership is not carrying this stuff any more...), so my vote goes to G12...

[Modified by LuvVDubs, 7:21 AM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
9,035 Posts

G12.. the dealerships aren't selling G11 anymore.. at least that's what they told me. You can't mix G11 and G12, so if you're needing to add some, you need to flush your system first... I just had to do this with the golf. G11 was used in OBD1 cars and some 96 models.
Also 17$ for a bottle of G12 (3.5L)
But oh well...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Golf III VR6 Antifreeze, what type? (vr6Cop)

i just got me the g12 (sob's $15.50 a gallon)
what fluids do you guys recommend to;
First, clean up all the corrosion and rust.
Second, to flush the entire system.
Thank you

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Re: Golf III VR6 Antifreeze, what type? (Maceman)

quote:[HR][/HR]can you add water to the g11 or g12? what color is g11?[HR][/HR]​
YES
You really should. Depending on the climate you live in, 50/50 is a good mix. The colder the climate the richer you can get with the Antifreeze. I wouldn't go richer than 60/40 though...
Bentley recommends using Distilled Pure Water to mix with... I'll leave that to you, some city water is treated when purified and that may have a effect on the Antifreeeze I guess.
As to what to flush with... just use water. Rinse through with a couple liters of water. Let it drain right out. You may want to catch the water in a drain pan at first... you don't want your dogs or cats getting into it...

[Modified by Volkscience, 12:48 PM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Re: Golf III VR6 Antifreeze, what type? (Volkscience)

quote:[HR][/HR]You may want to catch the water in a drain pan at first... you don't want your dogs or cats getting into it...
[HR][/HR]​
Or the EPA may want to have a little talk with you if you don't catch it into something.

T.C.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Since I just bought my 97 GLX used, do I need to know what kind of antifreeze is in it? It's red, but G11, G12??? All new to me? Since I live in LA, I'll probably just add water for now, but whats the deal?

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Re: Golf III VR6 Antifreeze, what type? (Quick6) (Gomer)

quote:[HR][/HR]Since I just bought my 97 GLX used, do I need to know what kind of antifreeze is in it? It's red, but G11, G12??? All new to me? Since I live in LA, I'll probably just add water for now, but whats the deal?[HR][/HR]​
97, it's a OBDII... it uses G12.
_______
Gomer... 100% Antifreeze is not better. Here is why.
Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol. That is the main ingredient that gives the antifreeze it's cooling and heating properties. The other ingredients in Antifreeze are mostly anti-corrosive agents if I remember.
Basically, when you add water to the ethylene glycol, you increase the cooling and heating properties of the anti-freeze a great deal. Now the antifreeze can reach it's boiling point much sooner, especially in the pressurised cooling system in your car. You would think adding water would thin it out and make it worse right? But that's not the case. You want the water in their so the fluid can reach boiling point quicker and get warm in the winter. You also need the water in their for the cooling part too. Once the fluid enters into the radiator to be cycled through the water pump again... it needs to cool off quickly. The added water helps the ethylene glycol to do just that. More parts of Ethylene Gylcol to water will generally help your warming properties. Here in new england, it's usually cooler or cold more often than hot. I usually use a 60/40. You would probably want to use a 50/50 if you were in southern Cali or in warm climate nearly year round to help the cooling properties of the antifreeze.
I hope this helps and doesn't make it more confusing. You can learn a lot by just reading the ingredients of the fluids you put in your car and doing research on the chemicals. I figure it like this, I wouldn't eat something without knowing what was in it and what it will do to me. I do the same for my car

[Modified by Volkscience, 10:23 PM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Re: Golf III VR6 Antifreeze, what type? (Buckeye(OH))

quote:[HR][/HR]Just because a car is OBDII does not mean it originally had G12. I have a 1996 and it is G11

Adrian[HR][/HR]​
True... my 96 is an early 96. It also used G11 originally... but since you can't buy it anymore, if you need coolant you have to switch to G12... which you can't mix with G11, so then you need to drain and flush... 97 models should all be using G12

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Golf III VR6 Antifreeze, what type? (Volkscience)

Volksciene, it's becuase of respoonses like that, that i really like this forum.
Thanks a lof for the GREAT tip, and keep it up. I believe you are a great addition to the forum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts