VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have few odd questions for those who know. These question are all related to the headlight assembly and conditions of Golf headlights.
First I was wondering if anyone has ever taken the measurment of the diameter of the ring around the reflective cup for the low-beam and high-beam . If so I would appreciate if you could share it and save me having to crack these puppies open on two different occasions.
Second, has anyone ever heard of what the operating temprature is inside the housing at low-beam conditions with a 100 W bulb? and the same for the high-beam operatin temp?.
I know these are kind of off the wall questions but if you have any answers.. thanks..

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Golf IV Headlight Questions (OstTrefftWest)

Thanks man.. should have thought of that
hehehe...

·
Administrator
87,828 Posts
Re: Golf IV Headlight Questions (OstTrefftWest)

Quote, originally posted by OstTrefftWest »
The people in the Lighting Forum would probably have better info on this. But bump for this out-there question!

Yes sir..and that's where I found this thread...Good question.
I can't tell you the exact answers but...
If you are looking to run a 100W low beam bulb I'd be careful. It DOES get *very* hot in there. You will run into some problems with excessive heat, burned out bulbs, possible (very possible) wire/harness melting, and some glare to oncoming drivers (as the low beam is designed for a 55w bulb).
Now, I've got my MK4's apart right now and could take some rough measurements for you (later) but they won't be perfect.
Are you looking to do angel eyes??? If so, there are a few ppl that have done it on the vortex and you could probably ask them if indeed that's why you want to know.
Good luck
Later,

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Golf IV Headlight Questions (nater)

Quote, originally posted by nater »

Yes sir..and that's where I found this thread...Good question.
I can't tell you the exact answers but...
If you are looking to run a 100W low beam bulb I'd be careful. It DOES get *very* hot in there. You will run into some problems with excessive heat, burned out bulbs, possible (very possible) wire/harness melting, and some glare to oncoming drivers (as the low beam is designed for a 55w bulb).
Now, I've got my MK4's apart right now and could take some rough measurements for you (later) but they won't be perfect.
Are you looking to do angel eyes??? If so, there are a few ppl that have done it on the vortex and you could probably ask them if indeed that's why you want to know.
Good luck
Later,

Thanks man.. I appreicate the answer. No.. I wasn't planning on running a 100 W... that was my brain fart and typo. Now you are correct on the angel eye idea.
But I am thinking of going with an LED array as opposed to cutting and molding tubing. I need the radius to figure out general length of each flexible array and thus the number of LEDs I will need to go with. I also need the temprature to figure out the load on the LEDs in the heated environment of the headlight housing. I believe our lens covers are made of Lexan (Polycarbonate) which I think has a max safe operating temp of 120C (250 F) .. though I could be mistaken on this.
If you remember to get the measurments then I'll be gratefull!

Any DIY angel eye folks that have these measurments handy and care to share then thanks!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Golf IV Headlight Questions (.:: dropFROG ::.)

Anyone???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts