VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to move my stereo into the centre console above the ashtray in my Mk2 Golf. Any advice or help on how to do this? Think it will be easy but anyone got any pics or advice before I go hacking into my centre console?
The stereo in my golf kinda sticks out too much where it is above the heating controls, am I supposed to get a stereo thats less deep? Also the stereo seems to get really hot now the heatings on. Is this normal?

·
Registered
24,360 Posts
Re: Golf mk2 stereo in centre console. (londonboii)

do what i did:
just cut out the ashtray, and fit the headunit cage in there...i didn't even brace the back of the headunit(didn't need to)...
photo:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (londonboii)

After checking around a bit seems that the way to do it is the ashtray. Loads of people done it but no decent picture of how. I know cut out the ashtray and stick it in but how do you hold the cage securely?
Surely the cage needs to be held in place, and I'm guessing its hollow once the ashtrays gone, what did you use to hold it in position? Someone mentioned leaving a lip for the cage but wont it still just tilt up and down? I was thinking maybe possible to attach cage to the tray above the ashtray?

·
Registered
24,360 Posts

Quote, originally posted by londonboii »
where did you put it ratdub? In place of ashtray or above?
Where does everyone think it looks better?

i deleted the ashtray b/c i like having the little cubby...besides, i can always ash out of the window...

·
Registered
111 Posts
What you want is the votex console, it's kinda hardt to get by these days. looks like this. I think there is some company that makes a replica of it.

this is actually mine. moved the clusters out and put the switches up. and moved the cd player down in the middle. good place to put it

·
Registered
1990 MK2 Golf Driver
114 Posts
Re: (remNorway)

SWG Motorsport in the UK make the replica version.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Re: (remNorway)

Quote, originally posted by remNorway »
What you want is the votex console, it's kinda hardt to get by these days. looks like this. I think there is some company that makes a replica of it.

this is actually mine. moved the clusters out and put the switches up. and moved the cd player down in the middle. good place to put it

pretty purse

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are the options to replace the stereo up top? Obviously the vdo gauges are normal choice but any other ideas? Ive seen the blanking plate done too but that just looks temporary and not quite right.

·
Registered
1990 MK2 Golf Driver
114 Posts

What are the options to replace the stereo up top? Obviously the vdo gauges are normal choice but any other ideas? Ive seen the blanking plate done too but that just looks temporary and not quite right.

CB radio.

·
Registered
24,360 Posts

What are the options to replace the stereo up top?

you can use the 42dd gauge bezel(like mine), an oem radio delete plate, an oem cubby, i've seen rally cars w/ their fusebox moved up there...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I moved the stereo down today. looks much better low than up top. I ended up putting the ashtray up where the stereo used to be for now.
I cut the ashtray out fine but then realised that the cage for the stereo wasn't as big as the hole I had made.
I got the stereo to hold in on the sides and its ok except i have a gap above the stereo under the cubby hole all along
. I'd say its as much as 8mm! I covered it for now with some black plastic but its ok not perfect. Looks DIY. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Any ideas on what i could fill this with that will look good or even reasonable? Like a black silicone or is there something better?
do I need to just buy another console and try again??

·
Registered
3,515 Posts

Hey, i did mine when i changed my heater core, i used a dremel to do the cutting and just worked from there!

Looks alot better in real life, Although you could see the metal cage from the top looking down so i put some trim to clean it up a little.

In the car, not an amazing picture but it works, got the lighter/power outlit from another vortexer.
I also orderd a radio delete cubby from VW to replace the where the radio was.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by mk2fu at 12:16 AM 1-1-2008

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.