VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, i can’t stop noticing this clunking noise from the front suspension. I’m not sure what the problem is, and that’s why i come here for help!

If this info helps then here: Golf mk4 1999 81kw 110hp 1.9tdi.

So i took the subframe out, due to a sway bar change, because it was the wrong on installed, or the wrong for the current suspension, because there where coil overs on the car.

Anyway, everything went fine, and i had to change the end rod of the steering on the left side. So the clunk side should not have any problems due to that.
I’m thinking there’s maybe a lower control arm that has a split seal? or that maybe the bushings in the whole subframe…
An important thing (most likely) is that when taking out the subframe, I was stupid enough to try and take the mount for the engine out, so we cut inside the subframe and reinstalled the mount with some bolts. I also didn’t change the rubber bushings on the sway bar. I also didn’t change any of the bolts, but i put thread lock (medium) on them so they wouldn’t loosen that easy.

There also might be some bolts left in the subframe hehe, but if there is, then they have multiplied… or in other words, the sound comes more often.

So, when do this happen: When i change gears when moving, accelerate, put it in reverse, and when i break.

If anyone has some ideas on how to solve this, or just have some experience with any of this, then feel free to comment:)

Hope someone can help me with this!

And sorry for bad writing, and/or bad english.

And here’s a picture of the subframe from the front, and please don’t mind my oilpan “fix” i know it’s terrible.

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
Was this an issue before the subframe work or did it start after? Have you checked your engine mounts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a clunk like this once. The rear LCA bushing bolt( the vertical one ) was coming loose. I had a similar clunk/rattle that turned out to be a destroyed strut bearing. The strut bearing affair got its sway bar bushings replaced with Black PowerFlex and effected it not at all( though I like them and shall put 'em in all our Mk.4's ).
cheers,
Douglas

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a clunk like this once. The rear LCA bushing bolt( the vertical one ) was coming loose. I had a similar clunk/rattle that turned out to be a destroyed strut bearing. The strut bearing affair got its sway bar bushings replaced with Black PowerFlex and effected it not at all( though I like them and shall put 'em in all our Mk.4's ).
cheers,
Douglas
Yeah, the LCA bushing bolt acually might be the problem. I had a very hard time reinstalling it, so that may be whats making the sound, and i can kinda feel it "pop" or clunk under my feets. But i will get it up on a lift so i can look at everything, while the car is off the ground.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers,
Douglas
I have jacked up the car with a standard car jack, and looked at the subframe (at the lifted point, and i will leave a picture so you maybe understand better), and on the right side it looks fine, also took the wheel and pressed it upwards, and side to side (trying to “recreate” it moving). The wheel had very little clearance from the ground, but i almost know for sure, this is not the side the problems are appearing from.
Did the same on the other side, and yeah… First thing first, the suspension wiggles (only at the top) and i saw that the bushing/mount in the engine bay moved. Second thing, the lifted point on the subframe (once again, i’ll leave a picture down below) had a gap between it, and the chassis of the car, not a huge gap, but a gap of maybe 2-3mm.

Bushings that i could see, looked ok, but should maybe be changed soon.

That’s pretty much so far i got, with the normal jack, and i lifted it on gravel which is not ideal at all, but for this purpose it worked for just looking to see what is going on.

I have an idea of what should be done to it, but i’d like to be sure and hear what you think!

Here’s the picture:)
Bicycle part Auto part Nut Gas Composite material

1 - 7 of 7 Posts